Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Im So Confused. Is Androgenetic Alopecia Mostly A Pattern

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by moet36, Jan 26, 2018.

1. moet36

moet36 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been in a TE for 11 months now. started after surgery and hasnt stopped. it has slowed down but now is up again. ive had many tes from various things, but always got better.

i went on rogaine in 2001 and shed for four months, then things were fine for a year and a half. i had always from every single doctor and three biopsys been told te...but i went on rogaine to try to get my cycles back in order.

at 1 1/2 years i wasnt taking care of myself etc and started a te again...i thought well if rogaine isnt helping i might as well ween off. so i did over a nine month period. while i was weening off and after i was totally off rogaine i was fine.

then i had surgery and three months later started a te. but for those three months after stopping rogaine i didnt shed at all!!! now i went to a dr today who said te and Androgenetic Alopecia...that thought im thinning all over, he sees my temples are thin and that indicates Androgenetic Alopecia...and that he can see miniturization in my hair that is growing back. its not as thick as the rest.

the hairs that fall are all the same thickness. but its not growing back much at all and falling again..do you see a wider center part always with Androgenetic Alopecia? i dont have that, but have thin, thin temples and bangs and all over thinning. please ive been reading everything but now dont know what to do. he said i could wait out the te..and maybe i wont thin till much later. or i could use rogaine and see what happens. im 43.

2. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Moet,

Take my comments with a grain of salt since I don't know what your hair looks like, but everything you've said would make me believe your major issue is the TE. Androgenetic Alopecia or no, high shedding typically means there's something else at work, particularly given you're losing hair with all normal thickness. And while there are also exceptions to the 'classic FPHL pattern', if the main driver behind your hair loss was due to Androgenetic Alopecia, I think it's pretty unlikely that with noticeable thinning you wouldn't see a wider part. And if you had three biopsies in the past that all said TE, that's another strong indicator that you don't have Androgenetic Alopecia (especially as I've heard false positives are more common than false negatives). A doctor that tells you that you have Androgenetic Alopecia without a biopsy, when you've had previous biopsies diagnosing your hair loss as TE, in my opinion is cr*p.

Three months post-surgery is also the most common time to begin a TE if you're going to get one. Do your best to reduce stress, make sure you're living a healthy lifestyle and avoiding all of the things that gave you TEs in the past (stay honest with yourself here!). And if you didn't have a noticeable shed after going off Rogaine, I'd take that to mean you probably don't need it / it's not effective for you, so I personally would hold off to avoid adding another variable to the mix.

As you likely know TEs usually come on suddenly and then, when they resolve, end gradually. For that reason, it can take a while to realize (or let yourself believe) it's actually improving. But I'd hope as long as you're avoiding all of the triggers of your previous TEs, this surgery-induced TE will resolve before long. :)

3. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    If I had to guess I would guess it's another round of TE. But fwiw I have androgenic alopecia and I have a lot of thinning at the temples and front hairline and I didn't have a noticeable widening of the part until recently so ... take that as you will. If you end up getting another biopsy make sure they take it from the affected area.

4. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:

okay i am confused by your story so I suggest you

1 get a proper biopsy of 2 or 3 pieces at various parts of your head that is analyzed by a derma-pathologist and your dermatologist (have a dermatologist who specializes in alopecia).

2 get blood work I am not an expert on which hormones to test--others can suggest that I am sure--but make sure you get your ferritin tested..and see where it is at...if it is under 40 I would think maybe the TE is aggravated by low ferritin (and androgen alopecia).

You can be having both TE and androgenic alopecia...some people have both alopecia areata and androgenic.

you need a proper diagnosis from an expert. and this person has not actually tested you via a biopsy is kind of odd to me...they are not 100% accurate in diagnosis when doing biopsy this is why its good to do a few samples for them to cross compare..but at least I think it will tell you more.

I know some women get the hair loss with temple recessions--I don't have that i have a thinning middle part. Its much better for now I am responding well to medications..but i definitely have androgenic that was confirmed in a 2 sample biopsy and 2 opinions 1 from my regular derm and a second opinion by an alopecia expert dermatologist/researcher.

also make sure you dont have early menopausal issues such as lowering or imbalance of your sex hormones--even if you are still regular i think these can start to change--i have not gone through menopause yet but maybe some of the other ladies who did can tell you if their hair loss is similar ot what you are talking about..if so you may need some female hormones..(see a gyno or endo to make sure before self diagnosing or medicating).

Some Male to female transgender who were balding men--the female hormones they sometime grow back back full heads. So its kind of interesting to think about and look into if that is going on.

Good luck

5. Doodle

Doodle New Member

Dislikes Received:
    When I was first diagnosed with Alopecia Areata, it was quite obvious, so there was no need for a biopsy. 4 years later my hair is still so thin (not my part), so I went to another derm and she did a biopsy and said I have Androgenic Alopecia. My DHEA sulphate level is high as well as my Thyroid, so going to an endrocrinologist soon. My bald patches all filled in over a period of a year, but the thinning is getting worse on the sides and front. What medications have worked for anyone? I also have RA, so I am currently on Xeljanz.