Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

I'm tired of fighting this

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by JeHope, Apr 10, 2014.

1. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so tired of fighting my Androgenetic Alopecia. So tired. I've been using rogaine for almost 2 years and I don't think it's working anymore. I've been shedding tons for the past 4 months. I still have a lot of hair on my head but it's exhausting. I hate that I'm only 26. I hide it from my boyfriend everyday. I just want to shave my head and get a bonded hair system. I would probably lose my boyfriend if I did this. I'm just so sick of seeing the hair fall out. I wish I was in my 50s and married. Sorry for the negative post, but I needed to vent!!

2. Linwt

Linwt Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Aw JeHope, I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this, and at 26! I'm only 32 and I'd give anything to have this happen later on in life, just give me a few more years. I'm in a different situation than you, but all the same, that shed just makes your stomach churn.

The shed must be from seasonal shedding, do you use any special shampoos for this?

Do you have a topper? Do you know what you want to get?

3. BGS92

BGS92 Guest

I feel you. I am 22 and suffering Androgenetic Alopecia, tried every treatment and none have worked to slow or stop hair loss, or regrow hair (wasn't expecting this when I started, would have been happy to keep what I had, but I guess this was too much to ask from my Androgenetic Alopecia :(). I am single and like you I fear to be alone and rejected form guys. I understand your battle and your fear but if your boyfriend dumps you over that he is not a keeper. At least you HAVE a BF! If he loves and cares about you like he should, then he will support you no matter what. Good luck :)

4. JeHope

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all! I am hoping that this is seasonal shedding. I am using this shampoo that my derm gave me. It's called Ducray Anaphase shampoo and I do really like it, but I don't think it has done much for my shed.

I don't have a topper because I still have quite a bit of hair, but I know eventually I will need one. I really want to go the bonded route because I am a very active person.

5. Blue Panda

Blue Panda Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My heart breaks for those of you who are so young. I'm 35 and married, but it doesn't make me feel any better about it. My hair started falling in handfuls in my early 20's. Hoping for you that it is just a seasonal shed and the rogaine keeps working for you!

6. iisara21

iisara21 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    JeHope, oh, how this reminds me of how I felt when my hair first started to shed. I think I even have a couple of posts like this! I'm still going through what will be probably my 6th or 7th huge shed, and while it still feels gross to me (i.e., HAIR EVERYWHERE!) and a bit disheartening, I can assure you that I'm not bald yet, and to this day I have never even used concealers. It's thin, but I just put it up in a bun every day to disguise the thinness and so that I don't have to feel hairs falling on my arms all day every day. A few years ago, a friend of mine that I met on here and I were going through horrendous sheds. I was shedding somewhere between 200 and 300 hairs, and my friend was shedding between 500 and 600 hairs a day. This went on for several months before our sheds finally let up. We would message pics of our heads back and forth to each other over that 5-month period, and I remember we said quite often, "How is it even possible that I still have hair on my head???" If I'm remembering correctly, I think I even said at one point, "I just combed a squirrel into my wastebasket." LOL.

The shed I'm going through now officially started in mid-September, and at the time I had just started dating someone. I initially panicked a bit and ended up telling him that I have a thyroid condition that sometimes causes my hair to get pretty thin. I told him that sometimes it makes me feel insecure, so I bought a wig to help me feel better about myself when that happens. I asked him if it would bother him to see me with thin hair or to see me wearing the wig, and he told me that none of that bothered him and that he thought I was beautiful no matter what. I thought to myself, "Oh just wait until my hair gets worse." Flash forward to 6 months later...he and I were spending time together last Friday night, and I actually had my hair down at the time. He had removed my ponytail holder himself an hour or so prior to this moment, and I was feeling totally self-conscious as I've now been shedding around 200 per day for the last 6 months and my hair line looks a bit moth eaten. He said to me just out of the blue, "You're a beautiful woman," and when I turned to look at him, he had this silly little smile on his face. I knew that it was genuine, and I felt some of my fear and insecurity melt away. Actually, now that I think about it, I've never dated a guy who has broken up with me because of my hair, and it has been bad at times. During the summer of 2012, I had a bald spot on the back of my head that was somewhere between golf ball and baseball-sized! I think you'd be surprised at your boyfriend's reaction if you decided to have a talk with him about your concerns. The guys I've dated over the years have been nothing but kind and supportive about it, and I know I've read a lot of stories on here about great husbands and boyfriends. :)

7. April_91

April_91 Guest

Hi JeHope I'm 22 with a lot of hair loss and I recently just opened up to my boyfriend about it. I've been with him a couple of years and it took a lot of courage to talk to him about it but I feel in doing so a weight has been lifted. It also helps relieve the stress of it all if they are supportive. Good Luck :)

8. JeHope

Dislikes Received:
    Sara- thank you so much for your response! I'm glad to hear that your hair still looks acceptable after such a dreadful shed. I feel the same way- I have no idea how why my hair doesn't look noticeably balding after how much hair is falling to the ground.

I actually told my boyfriend the very same day I wrote this post. I couldn't handle it anymore! He was sooooo sweet and told me he would love just the same if I had no hair.

April- I'm glad your boyfriend was supportive too! We don't give our guys enough credit on how truly sweet they can be :)

9. iisara21

iisara21 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so glad that he was sweet about it. :) I'm sure that was quite a load off of your mind as far as that's concerned. It's always seemed to me that no matter how thin my hair gets, no one else sees it but me. LOL. Not sure how that's possible, but I think it does mean that most people are far nicer than we sometimes fear. Thank god for that!

10. BGS92

BGS92 Guest

Same here, sister! LOL! It looks dreadful to me, but my mum always says she can't see a difference! I'm like HOW is that possible??! When I go out I always feel like everyone is staring at me thinking what the f is wrong with her hair, but I think it's just me being paranoid ALTHOUGH my hair IS a lot thinner! But it is way more apparent to me who has lived with my hair all my life and know how it used to look and feel like, compared to now, which is crap crappy crappiest. I guess we should feel gratetful as long as everyone else don't notice.

11. Alopeciakat

Alopeciakat Guest

I totally understand where you are coming from! I'm 31 years old and I just learned about my Androgenetic Alopecia about 4 weeks ago. I've been obsessing about it since then. I bought Rogaine, but never used it. I don't like the idea that you have to use it for the rest of your life in order to see lasting results. Not only that, the peak of the medicine is at two years, so that probably explains why you are shedding like crazy. On top of it all, when you reach your 40's you will go through menopause and you will begin to shed even more!!! It seems like a never ending battle.
    I almost went through with NEOGRAFT surgery, but the doctor tells me that as a woman with diffused thinning hair, I will need several sessions in my future to maintain a head of hair. One session was already going to cost me $12,000, 1750 grafts. They also couldn't guarantee that there would actually be regrowth. I've realized this is a fight that we will not win. I am ready to shave my head and slap on a wig. Tired of being a victim to my hair.

12. al55

al55 Guest

I've had had so many of these days. It is such a hard thing to live with, especially when you're young and depend so much on your hair looking good. I'm only 19 and was diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia when I was only 16. After three years it hasn't got any better and I am so exhausted of researching options only to end up in tears that I can't have naturally good hair like everyone else. I'm also surrounded by girls who have beautiful thick hair and don't feel like I can tell even my closest friends because once I tell them they'll never not notice and at the moment i can pretend that they don't know, but this seems really very unlikely given the difference between my hair and their own.

13. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried to tell my bf, but he dismisses me all the time! He was the one to point it out, he saw a spot on my head and asked jokingly if i was balding but i dissmissed him at the time. Now that i want to talk about it, he is like " no you are not loosing hair... Or... Yes... Like every one else" lol i dońt know how to have this talk. Besides im using rogaine, i told him they were essential oils lol, and now i have androcur and oestrogens, but i just told him it was to correct an hormonal imbalance ( actually i do have low estrogen and progesterone, but was not given anything for the progesterone).