Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Immune system

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by ginawat, Mar 27, 2008.

1. ginawat

ginawat Guest

There has got to be a way to treat auto-immune disorders like Alopecia Areata, AT/Alopecia Universalis. There has to be a reason one day you have hair and then one day you don't. Our immune systems ar out of whatck. Yes, we are all healthy - but something is OFF.

We have got to figure this out ladies!

2. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

if there is a way to "Regulate" th eimmune system, that is worth a try.
    There are supplements that help "regulate" but not suppress.

There is a website dedicated to supplements for auto immune problems.

theautoimmunesitedotcom

3. Guest

Guest Guest

if they knew how to grow hair on an at or Alopecia Universalis person, don't you believe they would have marketed it by now?
    look at the money they would make on it.

but not from me.
    i have not only adjusted to being bald and beautiful, i prefer it.

4. missi

missi Guest

I totally agree with you carol!! I know that I don't really even remember having hair, but hey I don't have to shave. I can change my hair color, style, and lentgh when ever I want, and I love the feeling of taking off my hair at night ! ;)

5. ttc

ttc Guest

Cute picture Missi!!!

6. sgomez33

sgomez33 Guest

Well, maybe they'll get to finding a cure for autoimmune diseases after they cure cancer. To me, both seem highly unlikely. I know I sound really negative, but that's how I feel. I have learned to accept being bald, and live a normal and great life. If there is no cure, I'm OK w/ it. But if there is a cure, I'll be one of the many poeple in line to get it.

Missi,
    Love your new picture! I also love being able to take my wig off at home and just relax! Being bald is easier. I do miss my eyelashes and eyebrowes, though.

7. Lee112780

Lee112780 Guest

Missi...nice pic!
    I like taking my hair off at night also.
    Gina...I think theres a cure out there...but it needs to be found! Maybe when we are like 70...then we won't care anyway LOL

8. missi

missi Guest

Thank's for saying you like my pic! That is my favorite hair and don't you know they went and discontinued it! I can't get a new one any where! Totally stink's! :dunno:

9. hairyape

hairyape Guest

I haven't even had the common cold in about a year and 1/2 !

And I thought it's because I take care of myself and eat healthy. I wasn't aware that there is a term for this and it's actually a condition.

10. crashanna

crashanna Guest

yeah interesting because usually I never get colds or anything either, I always put it down to being a nurse and being exposed to so many bugs that I've built up a tolerance...but last year I had a couple of bad colds and over xmas had full on proper flu with fever and the whole works really, seriously I couldn't get out of bed and literally had no appetite for a whole week which NEVER happens to me!!

Just makes no sense at all does it? As much as I accept that this is a mysterious thing and can strike even the healthiest of people I find it hard to accept that there must be SOMTHING happening in my body to make this happen. And when it grows back there must also be something that triggered it, but what?? I have this overwhelming urge to put things right within my body, I just dont know what it is thats wrong!

11. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Oh yes - - there is a condition....its called autoimmune. It is obvious it exists with folks with hair loss because one form of therapy is immune suppression...and one "side effect" of that form of treatment is you will be then suseptible to more colds, flus, etc.

HA - I had my son on Oct 2004....and I can honestly say I have not been sick in all the time I was pregnant and none of the years of his life. so, we are talking 4 yrs.

I think it is totally related t my hair loss.

G

12. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Highly captivating information. I have posted an answer for the member who has concerns over chlorinated swimming pools. iIgo into more detail there.

13. alicat

alicat Guest

I missed something. I thought not getting sick was good too? No?
    I always get the cold. Ugh. Minor, but I get it. Is that good then? I hardly ever got sick when I was younger and didn't have hair loss. Now I have hair loss and I'm getting colds all the freaking time!!!

14. hairyape

hairyape Guest

I think that's good !! :freaked2:

15. alicat

alicat Guest

getting sick, or not getting sick??

16. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Getting sick build up tolerance. Getting sick TOO much is not good. Not getting sick AT ALL can also not be good. While you would "think" that that means all is good in the hood - - it can actually mean your immune system is out of whack and over compensating....automimmune diseases can follow.

As soon as my son started to go to pre-school 2X per week (at age 3) he started geting sick a lot (prior to this he was one of the healthiest babies/kids around)- I freaked out -but was told that it is a good thing and to be expected since his body would build up a tolerance and build up immunity. In all his life he has only had to be treated with anti-biotics once and we didn't even go through the whole course because I felt he didn't need it.

Its hard to fathom that getting sick occassionally is a "good" thing - but in reality it is. Now, being chonically sick is not a good thing.

17. alicat

alicat Guest

oh ok. i was a little confused (which is easy for me to be!!!)

i worry about all that autoimmune crap because i do have hashi's (which is autoimmune) and i worry that that makes me more prone to other autoimmune disorders??? who really knows anyway??

18. Merry

Merry Guest

Hey Gina ~ This has always been an interesting topic for me. Before my Alopecia Areata started almost 7 years ago, I was occasionally sick with common colds, etc. This is no lie, since Alopecia Areata started I have not even had one cold! I know my immune system is overly strong now. In the last few months I just deveoped some ezema, which again is auto immune related with your body attacking its own skin. Just as Alopecia Areata is attacking our bodies....our hair follicles.

Anyway, nice to not have colds.....but I'd rather have hair!

19. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Gina & Girls, :)

I've have a confirmed diagnosis of 3 autoimmune conditions: Alopecia Areata, Hypothyroidism & Sjogren's Syndrome. Believe me when I say that I would rather have the ones I do than some of the other more severe ones: ulcerative colitis, lupus, diabetes,multiple sclerosis,scleroderma,sarcoidosis etc.The more severe ones really affect your quality of life and can become life threatening as I found out when my brother was diagnosed with very severe ulcerative colitis. There is no cure for any of the autoimmune conditions but I feel once they can target what the trigger is that throws the immune system out of whack a true cure will be found for all.

They use immune supressing drugs with transplant patients. In their case those drugs are a necessity because without them their bodies would reject their newly transplanted organs . These drugs have side effects one of them being increasing your chances of getting cancer . I don't think anyone should risk that for hair that can fall out again once you no longer take the immune supressing drugs. Furthermore ,even catching a common cold can become dangerous with your immune system depressed. It could go into pneumonia and worse.

When I was only dealing with Alopecia Areata -Alopecia Universalis I thought it was the worst thing to ever happen to me. I was wrong. With the Hypothyroidism and most especially the Sjogren's & my brother's colitis I have realized that I would rather be really healthy than have my hair . There will always be a part of me that misses having my own hair, brows and lashes but I don't NEED hair to have a wonderful ,satisfying and happy life.

I know what it is like to be struggling with hairloss. I struggled for a good ten years. It plays havoc with your self -esteem and you do go through all the stages of grief before you get to an acceptance if the loss doesn't get better as in my case.It took time but these days I'm at total peace with my baldness. I can choose wig, bandana or nothing at all & feel totally comfortable with my choices. There are more and more of us making these choices . I hope in time that seeing a bald woman walking in public will be no different than seeing a man . I'm trying to do my part in that.

Don't be too hard on yourselves girls. You hair has nothing to do with who you are as people. Society places to much value on beautiful hair, faces & bodies. So superficial. It 's the person you are inside that counts most.

Wishing you all happier days. :grouphug: Joann

20. Merry

Merry Guest

Thanks Joann ~ Spoken like someone who has been there and come through it all stronger and comfortable in her own skin!