Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Increased hair loss in summer

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Fros, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Fros

Fros Member

Dislikes Received:
    My extreme hair loss started in the summer of 2016 (I had some hair loss previously but in the summer it felt like more than 400 hairs were falling out).

Since october i have been using Labo Susie Crescina 'treatment' and my hair loss gradually decreased. I am under 100 hair lost on wash days and under 50-40'on other days !

i just don't know if it's because it's winter or because of the 'treatment' and vitamins I have been taking.

I am am stressed out that come summer my hair loss will start again !

I am saying this because in the last summer I noticed that I was losing more hair and I don't get it as everybody is telling me that the sun is supposedl good for the hair etc etc.

Is it because of the oily scalp that summer is my enemy ?

are other people noticing increased hair loss in summer ??

2. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Fros,
    I have been experiencing the same exact thing. for the last 3-4 years, I have noticed that I shed a LOT during the summer. It starts around late May and lasts through July. In early August it starts tapering off. I don't think I lose 400 hair a day, but definitely more than 150 on wash days and maybe close to 60 on none wash days. then by September, my hair loss is cut in half. 70 on wash days and maybe 30 on none wash. That lasts through most of November and then it goes up a bit, but not as much as summer time (maybe 100 on wash and 40 on none wash).
    I have been using Rogaine for the last two years, and although it has helped with reducing the shed overall, the pattern still continues. I still find myself shedding a lot during the summer. Like you, I first thought something is wrong with me since everyone says, you should shed less during the summer, but now after 3/4 years, I think that is just my hair's growth cycle.

3. canadianhair

canadianhair New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Due to the sun’s rays, hair can look and feel dull, dry, and undernourished. UVA and UVB can both damage the hair and burn the hair cuticle, which is the outer layer of hair. The cuticle contains a web of tiny overlapping scales and UV rays can also burn and damage an unprotected scalp in many ways. They activate free radicals, which accelerate aging. Several sunburns on the scalp are known to cause hair loss.

4. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I to have noticed an increase in shedding as of this month . I was thinking maybe my vitamins are off etc . But I can remember an increase in shedding a couple summers ago so maybe that's what's going on . I hope it stops and at any rate I'm very sad about it