Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Increasing Balding At Back Of Head Near The Neck. Do I Have Alopecia Areata?

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Tisha, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Tisha

Tisha New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I got my blood tests done, Thyroid is fine, Iron(ferratin) was very low. Started with iron suppliments.
    My doctor diagnosed me with Telogen efflivium, but this seems different to me. I was advised by my doctor to start minoxidil 3%, but I read about its side effects and that you have to continue using it for the entire life, and if you stop the hair falls again.
    The balding is increasing upwards from the neck, I also have very less hair on my temples.
    Apart from this I have almost 50% of my hair turn prematurely grey.
    Can this lead to Alopecia Totalis?

Attached Files:

#1 Tisha, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Amal07

Amal07 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Can't help but compare my nape with yours. It looks so similar and I'm wondering the same considering I'm only 23 years old. The thing is I have never find any informations about have fast does alopecia totalis progresses. It just so strange I've never met or seen anyone with this pattern...

Attached Files:

3. Tisha

Tisha New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Amal,
    I too am 23 and this pattern is just increasing upwards. Were you diagnosed with Totalis by your doctor? Is there anything that you were recommended to take, any prescription?
    The only thing for me is low Iron and VitD3.

4. Amal07

Amal07 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I'm experiencing the same, my pattern is also moving upwards. I haven't been diagnosed at all. Some said Androgenetic Alopecia, some telogen effluivum. To me this doesn't seem like Androgenetic Alopecia at least not the female pattern.
    Im only taking multivitamin and iron supplement,from time to time I put castor oil but the only thing that noticebly decreased my hair loss is loreal shampoo, argainin something... I've tried almost everything except minoxidil and all the medications that doctors prescribe..
    Are you shedding a lot?

5. Tisha

Tisha New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I am shedding a lot. Tried a number of shampoos, none helped. Will give a shot to Loreal once. Will keep you updated.!