Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Inositol

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by DarkWitch1111, Nov 7, 2014.

1. DarkWitch1111

DarkWitch1111 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone tried Inositol for hair loss? I've heard it helps with all types of hair loss and started taking in in big doses and my bald patches started growing back in 6 weeks. My hair still isn't what it used to be and I'm still very ratty and thin but it's stopped it falling out and it's showing significant improvement. Fingers crossed, with continued use things might even go back to normal. I wouldn't be surprised if it did but I'm not building my hopes up too much yet...

2. LoosingItAll

LoosingItAll Established Member

Dislikes Received:
  3. LISA28

LISA28 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have recently ordered this. It claims to support liver function and cellular detoxification. If it helps my hair in any way, that would be an added benefit indeed. I am also curious as to what dosage you are taking. I am just taking the recommended 1/4 tsp dissolved in water daily.

4. Jemsgirl

Jemsgirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I read last night that Inositol lowers estrogen. If this is working for you, it might be helpful to see what your hormone levels are. You might be estrogen dominant and yes that can cause hair loss. I hate that this hair loss mess is multifactorial and doctors can't just pinpoint one reason. Anyways, glad to see something is working for you!

5. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So my DHT results just arrived at my naturopath's office and my level is 107 (normal is 15-75). She wants me to start inositol (4 grams per day) and saw palmetto daily. I've heard mixed reviews about SP but its good to hear your positive experience with inositol. I feel more comfortable getting the SP through my NP since I read that potency is a problem with the mass market brands.

- - - Updated - - -

She also recommended certain foods that help bind circulating DHT to help lower levels but I'll post those in a separate thread later tonight.

6. DarkWitch1111

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry guys I've been c**p on here at relying to stuff lately but I've been in a right 2 and 8 (Cockney rhyming slang for state) ie: I've not been in a good way. Anywhoo..

Yup still taken Inositol. I originally took INOSITOL for my OCD obsessive compulsive Disorder) but found (by sheer accident) that it made my hair grow back. As I say I stopped taking it so I didn't get the full results but I wouldn't mind betting that or some people (possibly even me) it might cause you to regain all of your hair as the results ere amazing in 6 weeks. Just amazing. I don't want to build anyone's hopes up too much though. There's a chance it might not of course as with everything. And yes it is linked with hormones too: not quite sure how but I know it improves egg quality of you are trying to get pregnant which I will be soon hopefully before menopause finalises my chances. I've also heard it's good for PCOS (Polysystic (sp?) Ovarian Syndrome) which again of course is due to hormones and can cause hair loss in some women. So Inositol is a good all rounder: only side effects is if you take too much you can get the runs but you do need to take a very high dose: forget the supplements in Holland and Barrett (if you're from the UK that's our leading health store) their useless. You need to take a good 2-4 grams per day. 1/4 teaspoon per day isn't anywhere near enough Lisa! Holland & Barrett's dosages are way too low which would mean you'd need to take about 20 capsules a day) So you need to buy a big tub of the powder, start off slowly andsee how you get on. I found out about it on this very lovely doctor's website:

http://www.wsps.info/index.php?opti...ed-subjects-by-frederick-penzel-phd&Itemid=64

He's a psychiatrist so talks about it in terms of mental health but the dosage recommendations are still very important for you to read. It applies to hair loss too. You need the same dosage for hair loss as you do for OCD. He's also very nice and you can email him and ask him questions about it, if you have OCD, depression or just want to talk about hair loss he'll give you advice on how Inositol can help if you get a bit stuck but the web page is very informative and should tell you all you need to know. Or ask me and I'll try to help. I will try to get on here more often I promise.

This is where I buy mine. I'm in the UK but pretty sure you non-Uk-ers can also buy the powder from somewhere I mean the Doctor is based in the US so I guess Inositol is a worldwide thing!

Anyway as I say this is where I buy mine: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/atoznaturalhealth?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I'd advise you to by the smaller tub first, the 4oz tub and see how you get on with that and if you can tolerate it OK (without getting the s***s) upgrade to the 8oz tub, that's what I did. I've just upped my dose,as per Dr Penzels's recommendation) to 1 & 1/4 teaspoons three times a day as I tried 1.5 3 times a day and got the s****s. But I'll need a good 4oz to improve egg quality, although I was taking less than that when I as first on it and my hair started to grow back. I swear by this stuff, give it a go, you have nothing to lose apart from the odd loose bowel movement. I've recommended it to my hairdresser too (she cuts my wigs not my hair) who's husband is an alopecian as a last resort thing otherwise he's going for a hair transplant and I was like noooooooooooooo don't let him spend all that money make him take Inositol. I hope it works for him and you, if you decide to try it.

7. Roxana

Roxana Member

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. I have currently added buckwheat to my diet that is rich in inositol. It has been only a week so too soon to see changes. Thanks for sharing the info.

8. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    DarkWitch1111: Do you have Androgenetic Alopecia or Alopecia Areata (since you said you had bald patches)? Thx.

9. DarkWitch1111

Dislikes Received:
    Let us know how you get on Roxanna.

@ jksz: I'm not sure hun to be honest. I've had alopecia a long time but it's never been categorised as such. I posted about it in the 'undiagnosed' section if you want to read up on it there. I was diagnosed at 20 years of age with it but the dermy didn't specify which type it was.

10. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thx, I just read your post in "undiagnosed." I am so sorry to hear of your other issues (isn't hair loss bad enough?). Have you tried Latisse for your eyelashes?

11. DarkWitch1111

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry late reply: no I haven't, I'll look it up.