Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

insomnia and hair loss?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by fleur1979, Mar 23, 2017.

1. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair loss seems to be pretty stable lately.... after 6 years of hair loss hell (CTE). However, since 3 months I experience insomnia. I sleep either 2 or 3 hours or nothing at all. Even sleeping pills don't work. Strange thing: I am not even tired!! I keep on going.....

I heard someone saying that insomnia causes hair loss.... I can imagine stress causing insomnia and this way it can cause hair loss, but I don't feel like I am stressed. But maybe I am and I don't realise it.

Anyone ideas about this?

2. Megan M

Megan M Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you can't sleep because you are so happy your hair loss has finally stopped!

Congrats on hair loss stopping!

3. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    If insomnia caused hairloss, I'd have had issues long ago. I had insomnia all during my recovery from TE, drugs and melatonin are the only things that work.

4. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    thanks, I am taking sleeping pills now... Always worrying about the hair loss side effect, but not able to sleep is killing me.

- - - Updated - - -

Melatonin doesn't work unfortunately on me. I guess this is just another thing to go through. I never though insomnia could be this heavy mentally....

5. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:

I'm not sure how much Melatonin does either Fleur, I take it with Lunesta, lol. I do get sleep if I take both of those. But yes insomnia can be a huge mental drain. It made me feel like I was going to lose my mind.

6. JenVoy

JenVoy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Insomnia causing hair loss? That's a new one! Sorry, but 1/2 the population would be loosing their hair then! Don't buy that.

- - - Updated - - -

btw, I have G.A.D. and often have insomnia. I was prescribed ambien (horrible, addictive drug!) I tried melatonin (didn't like the way it made me feel). The only thing that has worked is CBD oil or smoking flower. I don't know what state you live in. I live in CA. I am grateful I can receive a prescription! It has worked miracles for me in my anxiety and insomnia. I regret not getting my prescription years ago, and having taken trazodone (which caused my hair loss 2 years ago)!

7. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    I heard that before that CBD oil could work. Thanks. I give it a try. I need to get of sleepingmedication, because on days I don't take them I don't sleep at all. Last week I didn't sleep for 3 days and then gave in again and took the sleeping pill. I just hope my hair won't suffer form all of this....

8. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure about CBD oil, but I use marijuana for insomnia (and it definitely works!). I used to take trazadone (love it and miss it!), but I felt like I was too young to be on sleeping pills every night, so I managed to stop taking it but was taking melatonin every night. I read somewhere that melatonin is psychological, so I quit that cold turkey, which really wasn't an issue for me. But marijuana helps me so much. I get drug tested every couple months for my job, so when I am in my preparing for the test phase, my sleep suffers.

Long story short: give CBD oil a try!

9. JenVoy

JenVoy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I said CBD because most people are offended when you mention using marijuana for insomnia or anxiety. I said "flower" because that's exactly what it is. I smoke flower in a glass pipe to help with my insomnia and it's the ONLY thing that is safe and works for me.

I personally find it horrific that more physicians do not give a prescription for medical marijuana. Instead, these ignorant physicians are giving prescriptions for addictive, synthetic drugs that have horrific side effects. The next time a physician tries to prescribe me another addictive, horrible pill I'm telling them to go F themselves.

Vent over! :)

10. canadianhair

canadianhair New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sleep is essential for our body. The body recharges itself with electrolytes and replenishes its energy at night. If this time is cut short, the body’s immune system is in a disarray and the body starts getting weak.

Lack of sleep results in:

1. Loss of shine of hair
    2. Loss of volume of hair
    3. Diffused hair across the scalp
    4. Receding hairline
    5. Dormant hair follicles

To cure insomnia, you need to change your daily routine. You can start by eating proper and healthy meals, exercising, avoiding distractions before going to bed, reducing stress, avoiding listening to loud music, not exposing yourself to harsh lighting, and not smoking before bedtime.