Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

intense hair loss overnight

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by rubydee, Mar 16, 2012.

1. rubydee

rubydee Guest

I was diagnosed with diffuse Alopecia Areata and started cort inj and Rogaine Dec 2011. I was actually seeing some improvement. No hair regrowth but the hair itself felt thicker, healthier with better texture. I have had 2 set backs since Dec . Each time I had a flare up, I had bad stomach ache for several days...after the stomach attack, I would lose more hair and each time it would be worse than when I started treatment. Now, I am less hair after months of treatment. I cannot imagine how that much hair can come out and me not see any of it. Its not in my hair brush, on bed pillows, towels ???? The dermatologist didn't perform any bloodwork, lab or hair samples to determine the diagnosis. He simply took my history and diagnosed according to that ? Is it possible to diagnose Alopecia Areata without the lab wk ? and does anyone know if a stomach ache is a symptom of Alopecia Areata. My hair has never come out in patches or clumps. Its thinning all over my head, a little more on the roght side. My eyebrows are gone and I have no hair on arms or under. The lower extremeties are not affected??? Is stomach problems associated with Alopecia Areata ?

2. Seal

Seal Guest

Hi, how did you get your diagnosis? I have been to 3 derms and 2 physician's assistants because of diffuse hair loss and I never got a diagnosis, other than TE and Androgenetic Alopecia. I never had a biposy done and have had 2 major sheds and 1 small one. I have lost 50% of my hair, a lot of eyebrows, eyelashes but because I had a lot to begin with they still consider them normal. I also lost 2/3 of my pubic hair, a lot of nose, arm and leg hair...The last derm said he thought the body hair loss was caused by thyroid but the tests came back normal...I showed him the ridges on my fingernails and he said those were beau's lines because of the TEs...well they never grow out...when I questioned him about diffuse Alopecia Areata he looked in my scalp and said he didn't see any exclamation point hairs, I asked about a biopsy and he said it wouldn't be beneficial and told me to keep using Rogaine...I had some hope on this derm because he has 35 yrs of experience...but I am back to square one...

3. rubydee

rubydee Guest

the derm I was going to only looked at my hair and told me several different things without any tests...that's why i am making an appt wih another dr to see if I can get any help ? He actually left me with....well, it could Alopecia Areata or TE or Universalis or Diffuse but he said the treatment was the same for all...after getting online and researching...I know that is not true now :( I may have wasted precious time...

4. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Girls,

The reliable information that I have about diffuse alopecia areata states that it can be difficult to differentiate between TE (telogen effluvium) and diffuse Alopecia Areata if there is no obvious precipitating factor.

By precipitating factor they mean things like acute illness such as severe infection, major surgery severe trauma, chronic illness, hormonal changes, changes in diet like crash dieting or low protein intake or iron deficiency, some medications.

Diffuse hairloss occurring with any of these factors present is generally considered to be TE type of hairloss.

When there are no factors such as this present it becomes more difficult . Is it TE or diffuse Alopecia Areata? What some derms will do is look for hair loss on other hair bearing areas, pitted nails or the presence of exclamation point hairs( broken off short hair that get narrower toward the scalp). If any of these are present then the hairloss diagnosis leans toward diffuse Alopecia Areata.

A scalp biopsy isn't always conclusive but can help when there is a question about whether it is TE loss or diffuse Alopecia Areata loss.

These past 8 years that I have been involved in giving support to those with hairloss with a focus more on Alopecia Areata hairloss as that's what I know most about has been a real eye opener where derms are concerned. Simply put a lot of them only have limited and basic knowledge about Alopecia Areata. Some family physicians are even less knowledgeable.

I think it's a good idea when choosing a derm to try and find one who specializes in hairloss as opposed to one whose focus is more on skin etc.

It does not mean they will cure you as there is no sure cure for Alopecia Areata at the present time but at least they have better knowledge and understanding.

Hope I've helped a bit.

Hugs,
    Joann