Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Iron Profile

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by Lizziemac, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Lizziemac

Lizziemac Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well, this is just an update: I've been back to my doctor to get the results of my iron profile and it transpires that far from being iron deficient, I have too much iron stored in my system. So that's that. He has told me to stop taking my multi vitamin supplement, which contains 100% RDA of iron, and come back in two months time for further bloods. If my iron stores are still too high he will refer me to a haematologist.

So that's that. I think I've exhausted all possibilities. I've spent a fortune and nothing seems to work. My hormones don't seem to be the problem either. I'm considering some extensions, just on the top, but I'll have to do a lot of research on that before taking the plunge, as I know that extensions would probably weaken the hair even further.

Thanks everyone, for taking an interest.

Lizzie

2. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Did he tell you what your iron level is? Too much iron can cause hair loss and a lot of other problems.

3. Lizziemac

Lizziemac Member

Dislikes Received:
    Angie, no he didn't say what my levels were. He just said they were too high. It has scared me a bit because my uncle died of haemachromatosis which, as you may know, is a condition where iron stores in the body are too high. The doctor wasn't going to tell me that, but when I told him about my uncle, he looked surprised that I knew about the condition, and then said that he was thinking that himself. I'm not too worried, because he said to wait the two months and see what my levels are then.

You have given me a glimmer of hope that the high iron might be the cause of my hair loss. It would be wonderful if lowering the iron caused an improvement in my hair.

Lizzie

4. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I looked up high iron problems when I started taking my iron pills, since I was taking a lot and I wanted to know what could happen if I got my iron too high and I read some scary stuff. Also, if it runs in the family for you, it's a GREAT idea to stop taking the multivitamin and maybe not eat as much red meat and high iron foods. An overdose in any mineral can cause hair loss. But also, it also depends on what the doctor considers normal. Some blood test labs have the maximum down as 200 and some over 300. My doctor's norms were 40-306, but someone on this site posted that for her doctor, the norm was 20-170 or something like that. If you want to get your iron down quickly, try drinking a lot of tea or coffee. The caffeine and tanins in them bring down iron absorption almost 100% Alcohol too. My cousins became iron deficient drinking Coke 5 or 6 times a day.

My iron is in normal levels, but I don't think it's normal for ME. It's in the 40's, but I'm still always tired, and I bleed all the time. Today I got a paper cut and I bled like CRAZY for 20 minutes. I filled up 3 bandaids and I was even bleeding out of the bandaid. And my blood was super pale too. So maybe normal for me is higher.

5. Lizziemac

Lizziemac Member

Dislikes Received:
    I eat red meat maybe once a month and have been like that for years. I also drink gallons of black coffee and still my iron levels are high! I'm 62 now, so I don't have any menstrual blood loss since I was 45, when I had a hysterectomy. I'll find out what my levels are. My son is a doctor so I can ask his advice too, though he lives far away and is always reluctant to give an opinion without reference to my notes. GPs are not experts and I hope he does refer me to a haematologist in two months time. Until then I'll cut out the supplements and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks.

Lizzie

6. angieangie

angieangie Guest

You can also try drinking milk and eating more dairy products. Iron cannot be absorbed in the presense of calcium. You can buy calcium chews too and have them with meals to deplete the iron.

7. Nikoletta

Nikoletta Guest

By any chance did your hair loss start after your hysterectomy?

8. Lizziemac

Lizziemac Member

Dislikes Received:
    Nickoletta, strangely enough that never occurred to me, but you could be right. I didn't notice the hair thinning until I was in my mid 50s but it could have been happening before that.

9. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair loss started after my hysterectomy. Maybe you need estrogen!

10. Lizziemac

Lizziemac Member

Dislikes Received:
    I still have my ovaries. Is that where estogen is manufactured?

Lizzie

11. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah- that is one of the places. But hormone production shuts way down at menopause and the levels really drop. I keep wondering if I had kept mine if it would have made a difference. But my sister had surgery and also had her ovaries removed (we do have ovarian cancer in the family history) and she is not on HRT and has no hair issues at all. I got crappy genes!

12. dying curls

dying curls Guest

a hysterectomy is when you have everything removed right? not just the ovaries??

13. dying curls

dying curls Guest

dedee i was asking this question because if you had an hysterectomy and your sister only her ovaries removed then it makes a difference, because the uterus, not just the ovaires are responsible for estrogen production.

14. HMH

HMH Guest

Hi,

Your hair looks just like mine and I have Androgenetic Alopecia. Sides have thinned, part went first then sides went over 8 years. Sadly, it doesn't really get better but rogaine and the other meds may help slow the inevitable progression. Have you gone to a good derm? They can give you the diagnoses. I think once you know its Androgenetic Alopecia, it sucks but atleast you can stop driving yourself crazy trying to "cure" it or find answers that aren't there. Not to sound negative.. but if its is Androgenetic Alopecia, it is what it is. Have you checked out your family members hair?
    Have you thought of a topper if it bothers you?
    J

15. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Usually when people talk about a hysterectomy or total hysterectomy they think it includes the ovaries as well as uterus and cervix. But a hysterectomy is technically just having the uterus removed. An oophorectomy is where the ovaries are removed. Usually the docs tell you to have your ovaries out as you don't need them and there is a risk of ovarian cancer. (funny they dont' tell men to routinely have their prostates removed!) But the ovaries still produce some hormones although the amounts decrease with age. The uterus doesn't produce any hormones that I am aware of. I ended up having uterus and ovaries out as did my sister. We both had fibroids but they thought I might have ovarian cancer and I got talked into it by the oncologist. I am guilty of saying I had a hsyterectomy where it was actually ovaries also. It is easier to say.

16. dying curls

dying curls Guest

i always thought the uterus produced oestrogens...it's part of the female sexual organ..maybe we should seek infoalso menauposed women still get problems with their uterus sometimes because of hormonal issues...yet their ovaries are not working anymore??

17. dying curls

dying curls Guest

well you prolly right...hell...we want hair

18. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I was talking to my boss today and she told me she was born with six falopian tubes.

19. dying curls

dying curls Guest

that sounds crazy...