Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Irregular Periods

Discussion in 'Girl Talk!' started by sunlit, Jan 13, 2015.

1. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Does anybody else here have irregular periods? How irregular is normal or cause for concern?

Mine have never really been regular. I've been tracking them for the last year and my cycle has ranged anywhere between 25 and 45 days. For instance, the last 5 cycles have been 29 days, 37 days, 38 days, 26 days, 35 days. Is that normal? Should I ask my doctor about it?

Sorry to be asking this here, but I figured that a forum for women is the best place to ask a question about periods! Especially as we talk about so much medical stuff here. I don't know if this is normal or if it's supposed to be like clockwork.

2. ChrissyB

ChrissyB Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know how old you are Sunlit. I am 48 and mine are usually normal, but then every third one gets messed up. I had a period that lasted 18 days and I also sometimes get it every week or every two weeks. The Doctor says it is part of perimenopause.

3. sunlit

Dislikes Received:
    Oh sorry, I forgot to add that - I'm 21.

I've read so much about PCOS and androgens and so on because of the hair loss that it's making me worry about the irregularity, when I always accepted it as normal for me before. I feel like hair loss is making me a hypochondriac.

4. DarkWitch1111

DarkWitch1111 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sunlit: for the past few months now I've been taking Agnus Castus and my periods have returned to normal. Why not try that?

5. sunlit

Dislikes Received:
    What is Agnus Castus?

6. DarkWitch1111

Dislikes Received:
    A herb, it helps regulate hormones and has even been known to reverse menopause: I'm not kidding. I got mine of ebay.

7. sunlit

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. I'm a bit wary of self-medicating before I even know what the state of my hormones/insides is, though.

The NHS is so frustrating sometimes. I got my blood taken a month ago and they still don't have the results for me. I talked to my GP and she said "It could be PCOS, but it's not something you need to worry about until you're trying to have children", while of course I'm worrying if it's a factor in my hair loss. It sounds awful but in a way I hope there is something wrong, because then at least I'll know why all my hair's abandoning me, and knowing why gives me a chance of fixing it.

8. DarkWitch1111

Dislikes Received:
    I know what you mean. My locla GP surgery are a bunch of tossers, they don't know their arse from the elbow. They keep getting all my blood work wrong. There's nothing to be worried about with Agnus Castus though: I'm a bit wary with herbs too and did A LOT of research before taking it and figured it was by far worth the effort. It can also help PCOS. I'd give it a go, what have you go to lose?

9. DisTressing

DisTressing Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Erractic periods are normal for some people. I used to get them every 28 days while my sister always fluctuated very wildly. The things you should look out for are periods that come too close together, 21 days or less. One time is perhaps a fluke, but repeated times is something that you should check out. Since yours tend to come farther apart, I believe that is less of a concern, but this is certainly something you want to ask your dr.

10. anoli

anoli Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sunlit! I always had irregular periods,same as yours. It's just that everyone is different and maybe that"s normal for you. it is very common for adult women to have menstrual cycles that range anywhere 21 to 35 days.I heard about the fenugreek tea, which can help regulate hormones and make them more regular. Actually I"ve just started to drink that tea almost every day. The reason is that I did not have my periods since September 12 and was very concerned.I took so many pregnancy tests ,which were all negative and went to my doctor,who said that only after 3 months without them they will start to check .She even said that maybe it's menopause.I am 36 now so I was not thinking about that yet:) So now I am drinking that tea and waiting...Which is of course very frustrating, especially along with hairloss ...Maybe we should try that Agnus Cactus DarkWitch1111 suggested.You definitely should discuss this with your doctor and maybe she will give you more answers, than mine, who just said that maybe it's just regular me...

11. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    everyone is just so different. My sister was getting her periods every 40ish days or so. Crazy fluctuations, while I always remained at 28 days on the dot. She is also five years older. And who ends up losing their hair? Anoli, I think 36 is four years too young for even perimenopause, never mind menopause. If I recall correctly sometimes I used to skip a month here and there and it never turned out to be anything, but that 90 day checkup is a great idea. You will probably get it any second now.

12. anoli

anoli Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, DisTressing for cheering me up! I hope I will get them soon:)It's even more devastating to deal with this at the same time as dealing with hairloss.Also wishing you all the best with your journey and hope that it will get better for you! Sunlit, I think you shouldn't worry about PCOS. When I was your age I had it same way irregular. And i do have 3 children now,so you shouldn't stress yourself out about that:)

13. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    keep us posted, Anoli! The last thing you need is something more to worry about right now.

14. KarenJay

KarenJay New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Popping in on an older post bc I can relate, lol

I'm just going to reply even though the topic seems almost settled....for the original poster, anyway. Hopefully.

I've always had regular periods up until the past few months. I had a miscarriage in early September, and ever since then, they had been very short, and very light. Now, for the past two months, I've barely had any spotting around my time. I'm bothered by it a lot. I want to have a baby, so irregular periods really stress me out. My cycle has always been very typical which was comforting.