Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Is an itchy, painful scalp associated with TE?

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by mandym, Nov 3, 2015.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My ineffective dermo has said for 2.5 years that my loss is TE and it will come back. The fact that it hasn't in so long doesn't phase her. She's not done one test - blood or otherwise. She looked at my scalp and pulled some hair - that was it. She also told me I had a fungal scalp infection but I'm not clear if it's just common dandruff, or something more serious. My question is weather an itchy and sometimes painful scalp can be a symptom of TE? If not, can this fungus be causing my hair loss? (I'm using Nizoral shampoo to get rid of it). My ND says my Vit d is too low, my ferritin is in the 60s, and my thyroid is borderline hypo. But I also have diagnosed adrenal fatigue and candida (Not sure if they can cause hair loss).

2. Ccc

Ccc Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there, I've been shedding for 5 nearly 6 months and now my scalp is sore and itchy too. It wasn't before but since I've lost so much hair and it's getting so thin it's starting to irritate me. Get yourself some vitamin D3 (get your levels up to 70+) and ferritin up to 100. Hope this helps.

3. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Apple cider vinegar is good for fungus also. Did she do a test to determine it is fungus on your scalp? I have scalp scaling but it didnt come back as fungus. Also have a sore scalp with the SD. Was dianosed w/ scarring alopeica and had a lot of burning and itch but now its just the SD. What she having you use?

4. mandym

mandym New Member

Dislikes Received:
    No test for fungus - she just looked at my scalp. I use an apple cider vinegar rinse after every shampoo. How were you diagnosed with scaring alopecia mycurlyhair? What is SD?

5. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Seborrheic Dermatitis (SD) I had a biopsy for the diagnose.

6. mandym

mandym New Member

Dislikes Received:
    What were your symptoms - red scaly patches? Is it a fungus like mine?

7. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if its fungus. Always thought it was. Its red and thick plaques. :( Makes my scalp sore at times. The scales are usually a yellowish color. Do you have any pics of yours? I bought a microscope camera and use that to look at my scalp and lightly remove them. To let my follicles breath underneath.

8. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    These sure can cause chronic TE.

I had adrenal fatigue too and also mono, and I had TE. Also had seb derm and painful scalp.

9. JenVoy

JenVoy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wolf, What were you taking to help with your adrenal fatigue? My doctor tested my adrenal levels and they were low. She has me on A-drenal 2X a day. I got my blood drawn and retested 3 months after starting my supplements she provided and my adrenals dropped lower. She told me that my body is trying to adjust. I have no clue how low adrenals are treated, was curious what you did to boost your level?

10. mandym

mandym New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Good for you for being in recovery.. How long before your loss stopped? Are you on adrenal support ?

11. mandym

mandym New Member

Dislikes Received:
    @Wolf924?

12. JenVoy

Dislikes Received:
    She mentioned in another thread that she treated her low adrenals with predinosone.

I still believe that itchy and painful scalp is very much associated with TE. I've always dealt with SD before the TE and still have it. But my scalp isn't as painful as it has been in the last 4 months. I'm still shedding tons of hair, but I don't know what it means that my scalp isn't hurting as badly as it once was. I'm praying that if this continues this might mean something positive. :unsure:

- - - Updated - - -

By the way my holistic doctor recommended I take A-drenal support supplement. However, I just read that there is no such thing as "adrenal fatigue" you either have low adrenal function or it's working normally. I also read the blood test that's used to test for adrenal sufficiency is not all that reliable.
    I don't know what to believe. My level was 48 back in June. I re-tested in September and it dropped to 20 since taking the supplement. I'm wondering if I'm doing more harm than good taking the supplement. Unless you're severely adrenal insufficient...vomiting, low blood pressure, dizzy, etc. I'd not take anything until seeing an endocrinologist.

Wolf also mentioned on another thread that her TE went on for 10.5 months.

13. mandym

mandym New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thnx for the comments gals. Adrenal fatigue is not recognized by regular medical community but it is definitely an actual condition. Thousands of people are treated for it by naturopaths and they recover their vigor in life. I'm one of them. My adrenal supplement pulled me out of the depths of horrible fatigue and weakness. Doctors and endos only treat Addison's or cushings - the two extremes of adrenal failure. Is it really medically reasonable that you can only have one or the other but nothing in between? They only treat those because that's all they study in school regarding adrenals, and those two are the only conditions they have pills for. You have adrenal fatigue, which untreated, leads to failure. I'm on an AF fb page with thousands of people suffering most of the same adrenal fatigue symptoms, and recovering slowly, using similar NATURAL treatments. Fibromyalgia was maligned by medical community for years as not being a real condition, until they created pills for it.

14. cleopatra81

cleopatra81 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have had TE since I was 18 ( now I am 34 ) and I have always had itch,not pain scalp.
    Now I have developed Androgenetic Alopecia since April 2015 and I have seborrhea and I am very sad.
    So now I am on ketaconazole shampoo,minoxidil and I hope it will help and another med for itching.I hope they will help since I started the treatment few days ago.

15. mandym

mandym New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My naturopath tells me there's over 10 common reasons for hair loss. So it found really be anything - which doesn't help anyone really. Anything that either directly affects the follicle at the root, or that weakens the body enough to shift resources will do it.

16. JenVoy

Dislikes Received:
    I like that your naturopath told you there are a number of reasons for hair loss. Mine is stuck on the fact that I have a ferritin in the 40's (20's when this began in July). I believe Wolf mentioned her ferritin was in the 40's when she was in recovery. I think your body is going to do what it's going to do, despite the ferritin, and anything else. My hair loss began 5 months ago, and it's still going. When this started I was hedging my bets on it being over at 3 months. When that passed, I thought it would be 6 months. My hair shed is probably the same as it was this summer. I don't even count anymore. I had SEVERE scalp pain for 3-4 months. I could touch the tender spots on my scalp. I was in excruciating pain! I don't seem to feel that anymore. I still have SD (as I've always had) and itchy scalp (which I've always had) but the scalp pain lessening gives me a little hope. I'm just crossing my fingers that it doesn't come back, as I'm sure you all know how awful it feels, along with pulling out tons of hair.

17. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:

18. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    Curious to know if any of you have seen any difference? I too for the past month have suffered itchy and sensitive scalp with sudden hair loss/ TE :confused:

19. JenVoy

Dislikes Received:
    Yup! Still suffering with TE, itchy scalp, and some pain. I'm on month 7.5 now.

20. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh dear! What shampoos do you use? Do you think anything may have triggered it? I believe I may have got SD from leaving my hair oily during early January, which reacted quite quickly and caused overal greasiness (my usually thick, curly hair became limp, flat and oily) as well as an itchy, sensitive scalp. I don't have any redness or flakes though, so I'm confused as to wether it could be SD or just TE.

Do you think its a fungal infection for yours? Or just the TE causing a sensitive scalp? I tried Ketocozanole which made the itch worse, but yesterday I only used a soft shampoo called John Masters Sage Shampoo and no irritation came of it.. Today I feel a slight itch but nothing major. Fingers crossed we get to the bottom of this!! :confused: