Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Is Saw Palmento safe for women?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by dragonfly, Feb 20, 2011.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've read so much about Saw Palmento being used for hair loss, but I'm always concerned about taking anything that messes with my hormones. What do you think?

2. As324

As324 Guest

it is safer than birth control, spironolactone, hrt, and many other medications

3. Chickadee

Chickadee Guest

It's not NECESSARILY safer than birth control, Spironolactone, or HRT. It really depends on your individual physiology.

If you don't have high testosterone or a sensitivity to DHT, then it could be problematic to take Saw Palmetto -- if the SP is potent enough, that is. Just because you can buy something at a health food store, doesn't mean that it can't have side effects.

That said, it's cured my husband's prostate problem, which is caused by DHT (although he's still gradually losing hair).

4. Chickadee

Chickadee Guest

" . . . saw palmetto [is a] herb that inhibits 5-alpha-reductase, the enzyme which activates testosterone to DHT. This might, in theory, help alopecia due to testosterone vulnerability but, as with other herbs, potency of specific preparations is indeterminate. If blocking 5-alpha-reductase is indicated, I suggest using the more consistent and potent prescription forms. These can be used by women . . . but work best in combination with other medications. I suggest saw palmetto only if you cannot find a doctor who will prescribe more effective medications. The possible risk of saw palmetto, as well as prescription 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors, to interfere with the genital development of an unborn male child needs to be stressed. They absolutely must not be taken if there is any chance you will become pregnant on them" (Geoffrey Redmond M.D., It's Your Hormones, 258).

5. Em374

Em374 Guest

I can't find a definitive answer for this. That didn't stop me from deciding to give it a go. I've been taking it for 3.5 weeks (low dose of 16 mg per day-not sure if this is enough to do anything) and I haven't really noticed any side effects, though I did have an acne breakout the first week which may have been related. I'm going to talk to my doctor about this when I see her in April but I have been concerned that rogaine alone hasn't thickened up my bang area and wanted to try another approach. If it helps, I'll probably look into propecia just so I'm getting a consistent formulation.

6. cwoc

cwoc Guest

I'm always curious about this myself. I don't think a low dose would do much unless you were particularly sensitive to it or allergic. Any natural supplement in high does can cause unwanted side effects though!

7. Chickadee

Chickadee Guest

cwoc
    Post subject: Re: Is Saw Palmento safe for women?

I'm always curious about this myself. I don't think a low dose would do much unless you were particularly sensitive to it or allergic. Any natural supplement in high dose can cause unwanted side effects though!

Yeah, cwoc, I agree.

It seems that herbs are often used at too low of a dose to be effective. When they're used at high doses (so that they can be effective), they carry the risk of side effects -- just like other meds.

Of course, sometimes they're the better option, depending on the person and HOW severe their symptoms are (and, for the purpose of our discussion, how severe their hair loss is). Some people have mild symptoms and only need a mild herb/med.

8. VMmom

VMmom Guest

I've been taking Maxahair supplements (which includes a lot of SP among other things) for almost 3 months. No ill effects so far. Periods are fine and all that so I don't think it's messing with my hormones. I'm not trying to get pregnant, nor would I while using this supplement.

9. Julie1977

Julie1977 Guest

Anything which causes artificial hair growth is a carcinogen.

EG. SPironolactone binds to the mineralocorticoid receptor, which we have in our scalp. It sends a message to the DNA which can switch on a group of Oncogenes called Tyrosine Kinase. This results in carinogenic cell proliferation. We have the mineralocorticoid receptor in our breasts also. So, Spironolactone can cause breast cancer by being an oestrogen agonist (70% of breast cancer is oestrogen driven), and also switching on an oncogene via binding to the mineralocorticoid receptors in the breast.

Do not take it

Why are all old men bald? Because being bald means you are less likely to get cancer.

IF you have Androgenetic Alopecia, you are more susceptible to the following diseases which contain the same pathwys:

diabetes, dementia, depression, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and HAIR LOSS!

10. As324

As324 Guest

yea basically dont take Spironolactone

11. Em374

Em374 Guest

Julie--Do you have any citations from peer-reviewed publications that you can share?

Thanks.

12. Chickadee

Chickadee Guest

So, Spironolactone can cause breast cancer by being an oestrogen agonist (70% of breast cancer is oestrogen driven) . . .
    - - - - -

Estrogen does not CAUSE cancer. Estrogen makes cells grow; if you're cells are ALREADY cancerous, then it may contribute to the growth of that concer. There's a difference, here, between CAUSATION and CORRELATION. Saying that estrogen causes cancer is like saying fertilizer causes weeds. Well, fertilizer can make weeds grow larger, but it's also necessary for the health of your lawn, just as an adequate level of estrogen is necessary for the health of your body. Estrogen deficiency, in fact, can cause many serious health issues.

Moreover, "Multiple worldwide studies also show that women who do develop breast cancer while taking estrogen develop cancers that are the less aggressive types, and more responsive to treatment, and have better survival rates than do women who develop breast cancer when not taking hormones" (Elizabeth Vliet, M.D., It's My Ovaries, Stupid!, 389-90).

When talking about estrogen, it's also important to separate estradiol from estriol and estrone. It's only estrone that's associated with high blood pressure, diabetes, and certain cancers. (The balance between estradiol and estrone shifts from about 1:1 before menopause to much more estrone after menopause. Taking supplementary estradiol to get that BALANCE back after menopause can restore that balance and help prevent cancer, etc.)

Seriously, this issue is complicated: it makes little sense to flatly villify estrogen by saying that it causes cancer.