Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Is Shedding 300-400 Hairs A Day Part Of Androgenetic Alopecia?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Jtilly, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Jtilly

Jtilly Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So I’m sure my posts are getting so annoying by now.
    I’m even annoyed by them! So I apologize. Just trying to make some sort of sense out of this hair loss business. If that’s even possible!
    K, so I’m wondering, is it normal to shed 300-400 hairs a day with Androgenetic Alopecia?
    I thought Androgenetic Alopecia was slow progression of hair loss? And more patterned?
    I know people can have TE accompanied by Androgenetic Alopecia.
    Does Androgenetic Alopecia cause TE?
    Or is it more likely another cause of the TE?
    And IF I can get the TE under control by identifying the cause, can I regain lost hairs from the TE? Even tho I probably have very mild Androgenetic Alopecia?
    The mass majority of lost hairs are normal diameter. I do lose some shorter “new growth hairs” that are also normal density, and I do lose some thinner hairs that I presume are miniaturized hairs. But the majority are normal density. Normal for me, as I’ve always has fine hair, just had a ton of it.
    The loss is diffuse, but a lot appears to be occurring at the back of my head.
    I THINK I know what triggered this most recent shed, tho I have never shed this bad before. Not even when I came off hormones.
    Also, can TE cause you to lose hair on other places of your body like eyelashes, hair down “there” if you know what I mean?? Sorry TMI..
    I’m just so confused!
    I swear I’m half tempted to go back on bio identical estradiol! Even though I had the worst side effects of my life!
    I just don’t know...
    And the amount of hair I’m losing doesn’t make sense.
    Can Androgenetic Alopecia cause such high sheds?

Thank you to anyone who can elaborate!!

2. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Do not apologize. If you would only know what I was going through when it started 5 years ago, only resulting that all my dear girlfriends damped me, because I am oh, such a drainer. Whatver...

I would think judging by what you say, that it is some sort of poisoning in a sence - severe reacting to overloading your bodywith something. Like people who go through chemotherapy, or are exposed to radioactivity, or even toxines in tooth fillings like amolgam.

Androgenetic Alopecia is a slow progres, but, as I pointed out it happens every couple of years untill eventually a person gets his / her hair boldness acorrding to this famous Hamilton - Norwood hairloss pattern.

Hairloss, like TE, usually grows back - confirm it even on my own example based on previous stressful events (and so also by some of my girlfriends)

Drs like you menttioned in your previous posts - do see may be this Dr Donovan in Canada (Member Din with whom I was corresponding here and privately who is also in Canada, but she is not active here sadly - said his diagnosis was that she has chronic TE. However hers was not as severe as yours and judging by what she said couple of years ago, hers was due to stopping Diane35 (estrogen pill, the strongest which I am also on) and also apparently may be because she was taking some anti akne meds.

And - if your hair is falling out (BUT PLS, THIS INFO MIGHT NOT BE ACCURATE) heard online fm one trichologist whom I saw on youtube and it gave me some agonizing, because I was examining my roots of fallen out hairs like a mad woman. Is the root (black bulb) attached to the hair strand, does it look like a hair which is plugged out, you know it is always a black bulb at the hair strand which we plug out with a twizzer OR does it have no root ? Apparently (again, not confirmed info, but one fm youtube trichologist) - black root attached is the sign of poisoning of the body during overdose of meds or after extremely strong fever or full anastesia. Usually even according to this source - it DOES grow back.

Also, when you go to visit any of these Drs,, may be take a good friend or family member with you. Somebody with cool head and detached judgement would be helpful probably.

Again, sorry if I sound like a broken recored, but pls, consider doing your jorney backwards - research the wigs and then your way out of TE. Agree that 6000 USD is waaayyyyyyy to steep for a wigh + upcoming maintanance which will also add up in $$, but I am sure it is possible to finde something what would be best described as a "golden middle" solution. Not cheap-cheap afro-shop look alike wigs, neither those ones which are made for Hollywood Stars, but, I am sure you understand what I mean.

And another just a peace of info - my good girlfriend who is 40 now, never had problems with her hair except of TE caused by stress is swearing that Pregnacare (mulitvitamins for pregnant women), made her hair after 3 months looking gorgeos. And she is taking cheapest version for it like something what costs max 10 USD for 3 months. Member Wolf also told here that prenatal vits she took were helpful (she is recovered and is not here any longer) But again.....think it is better to wait and see what happens. I was bullied by my trhichologist into some tests which back then my insurance was covering, but for what ? to hear that I need Rogain and yes, I should continue with Diane 35 and avodart (used for women in Europe a lot for Androgenetic Alopecia) and that in 6 months I should see ? Anyway....lots of rumbling now, but as pointed in my previous posts, love to be here when my hosts are not around to see my obsession when I have to force a smile, fake a yawn and mumble "oh, I am just so bored"

Hugs and everything will be ALL RIGHT. We are our worst enemies sometims.

#2 Barbarina, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  3. Jtilly

Dislikes Received:
    I’m sorry to hear about your girlfriends dumping you.
    I’ve had similar situation. You find out who your real friends are in the worst times of your life unfortunately.
    People just want you to be happy and don’t disturb their happiness.
    I even had a friend recently tell me she’s jealous of my hair, because she hates fussing with hers... I was like, “Did you seriously just say that for real!?”. So I told her she should shave her head!! Viola! Problem solved! Haha!
    Some friends think we should just get over it, yet I don’t see them signing up to shave their head in support of the hell we are going through! Right?!

The way I’m losing hair totally feels like I just went through chemo. It’s not right. It’s not normal.
    I don’t think people lose this much hair from Androgenetic Alopecia.

I was looking at pictures from mid to late October and my hair was looking better. Like it might have been on the road to recovery. The back felt thicker and heavier.

Was the reason I had the courage to go get my hair dyed at the roots... And it was even fine after that too.

I don’t know what to think... all I can think is it had to be one of the vitamins or evening primrose oil.
    I hope at least! Otherwise I don’t know why this is happening and that won’t be good!

All I can do is pray SO hard this shed doesn’t last long, now that I’ve quit those.
    I’m so mad at myself for taking them.

I’m going for more PRP/CRP in January. Praying the PRP/CRP stops the shedding.

When I got it done in September, about 1 1/2 months later the shedding reduced.
    But I didn’t tell anyone because I didn’t want to jinx it etc..

My hair wasn’t what it was before and I was still worried etc. but felt like I could finally breath a little and have more time to prepare for wig life. Was able to stop fixating on it 24/7 and enjoy life a little more.

I hope that this is just a quick lived severe TE shed brought on by the supplements and most the hairs will grow back?
    That’s what I keep trying to figure out.

I highly suspect the Evening Primrose Oil might have been the culprit this last time. Because even though it is touted as helping hair growth, it is also thought to have estrogenic effects, but is unknown for sure. I’m going to go with it does, because I started having all the nasty side effects I had when I was on bio identical estradiol. Specifically systemic fearful type anxiety that feels like someone plunged a shot of epinephrine into your heart, causing heart racing, shaking, jittery.
    My dog who is ALWAYS by my side, wouldn’t even come near me last Wednesday and Thursday when the anxiety was at its highest. She did that to me over the summer too when I was on the bio identical estradiol. Like she was scared of me or didn’t recognize me.

I posed this question on another
    thread to someone else:

We know that androgenetic alopecia is a type of hair loss that usually happens very slowly over time right?

But Androgenetic Alopecia can co-exist with TE at the same time.So let’s say I have mild Androgenetic Alopecia, that was always there to a degree under all my thick hair, that would have slowly revealed itself over many years as “age appropriate” natural thinning of hair.

But I have TE right now for who really knows why?

Will or can those hairs grow back eventually?
    The hair lost from the TE?
    Is this even a possibility I can hope for?
    Assuming I can figure out the trigger of course...
    While still understanding that I probably have early or mild Androgenetic Alopecia that will progress slowly over time

I have a theory that the start of my hair woes was that I had Celiac and didn’t know it. Causing me to lose TONS of weight rapidly, not knowing why, despite the fact that I was eating more than I ever have.

Before I was diagnosed with celiac, a doctor misdiagnosed me with “early menopause” and put me on hormones. Those hormones wreaked havoc on my body, presumably because I wasn’t actually in menopause, but rather I’m in peri menopause.

I wasn’t even having menopause symptoms. Any symptoms I was having was more than likely the celiac. You can even have night sweats when you’re celiac and eating gluten.

I have had my FSH tested like 10 times since that first doctor tested it, and it always comes back normal.

I think if I had gone to that doctor a week earlier or later, FSH would have been normal, I never would have been put on those poisonous pills, I would have discovered the Celiac, treated that and things might have been fine...

That’s just my theory.
    Will never really know now..
    Just hope that I can get what’s shedding now back eventually.
    I’m just worried I won’t know for sure the trigger and it will just keep repeating.

So the big question is, can you have early or mild Androgenetic Alopecia and TE, yet recover hair lost from the TE, assuming trigger is discovered?

Sorry for the super long post. Just trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together and keep calm while having reasonable expectations.

Much love to you! Love hearing from you! ❤️
    Thank you for your responses and advice!

4. Barbarina

Dislikes Received:
    At Tina - yes this is my theory in which I believe 10001% - stress does accelerate Androgenetic Alopecia, because it accelerates aging in general. It is just hairloss for some and may be onset of other age related deseases for other.
    As for Thyroid, may be I dont even need to supplement at all ? I never used to check my thyroid EVER. Only after my hairloss started which was either due to non-stop stress or increased Ambian dose. Being chronically insomniac I can not live without it and expect my head to function in my work and in every day tasks

AT Jtilly - just stop the supplements. As for evening primrose oil - was taking it since 2005 in really huge doses, beause my beautitian who gave me fascials told me that "it is good for you, for your skin, because it has hormone which decreases with age. Try it, you will see amazing results in 3 months" I never knew much about hormones back then, and she probably meant estrogen by that ;-) It only did me tons of good. My skin was smooth and silky, never problems with hair...Over years I somehow stopped taking it, partly because it is much more expensive in Germany and is not as well concentrated as the one in UK. However I re-ordered some and I do take it and put it on my skin. Seriosly, dont believe it can cause so much damage, but may be...do quit it too.
    If you by any chance discover good online wig company, please do share here. I whish that my hair wont shed any more, so that I can put extentions one more time and start chosing wigs when being calm, but yesterday again started losing hairs around the sides of my head, above my ears and temples No much hairloss so far during these last weeks, only there. Male pattern boldness galore !
    Back to the girlfriends issue - yepp, I was there for them to listen to their problems with their boyfriends or getting dismissed fm their job or non-stop finantial troubles etc etc. But, just as you pointed out, nobody wants their happyness to be disturbed. However your friend definitely did not mean to hurt your feelings by saying that she is too tired to style her hair - I fealt absoutely the same when my hair was all my life waist long and darn difficult to style and to brush through, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WHISH - I always wished for less hair, but for being it more manageble, easy to curl, easy to blow dry into shape etc. :-(((

Good luck with your trip to Florida...

#4 Barbarina, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  5. Jtilly

Dislikes Received:
    Yes! Same here... Listened to all my friends problems no matter time of day or night. Always offering sound advice, acceptance, no judgement, but when the tables are turned, true colors show.

I have heard SO many good things about Evenig Primrose Oil for a long time, but I didn’t want to self medicate, and I didn’t know what dose to take etc. But it was alway in the back of my mind as something maybe I should be doing, so when my nutritional therapist suggested it, I was like YES PLEASE!!
    I was a teensy concerned about it because over the last many months, I had read women use it in menopause and it seemed like a lot of women said it helped with “estrogen dominance”. So I wondered, could it reduce my estrogen? Then I’d read that it helped balance hormones?? So I just wasn’t really sure what the heck it did. But it’s an Omega 6 fatty acid, which I figured had to be safe right!?
    I had only seen maybe 2 people report adverse side effects.
    It’s hard for me to believe it caused problems, because so many women swear by it. But my body did not like I don’t think. Hard to say tho because I was on so many supplements. But that’s the only one known for “balancing hormones”, so it must have an effect on hormones in some way... Who knows... But I did quit it. Just can’t take even a 1% chance.
    Always looking for a needle in a haystack!

I don’t have anywhere online I will be getting wigs from anytime soon.
    I plan to get that ultra expensive one asap. Follea human hair. Can’t get it fast enough.
    No hair loss is good hair loss, but I feel like it’s not normal to lose hair as fast as I’ve lost it, unless you are having chemo or something.
    I wish I had the opportunity to do extensions and or hair fibers, but the hair loss is diffuse and also falling out so fast, no chance extensions would survive! And would just make things worse.

So hard to believe that last year at this time exactly, I was having my hair thinned out because it was too thick. It makes me shudder.
    Makes my heart ache. My hair was so thick 12 months ago, I could have NEVER foreseen the hell to come right around the corner.

Do you live in Germany now? I was born in Holland and we lived in Neu Ulm Germany when I was a kid.. ~Army brat... haha!
    My dad was in the Army and was stationed there.

6. Barbarina

Dislikes Received:
    Jtilly, we haven`t heard fm you nothing since mid Dec. How was your trip to Florida and how is your hair doing overall ?