Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Is this common?

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by joan, Oct 29, 2011.

1. joan

joan Guest

I just wanted to ask those of you with PCOS if your symptoms came on suddenly and at what age did you notice the symptoms? My hairloss, body hair growth, acne and IR came on suddenly at a late age and over the coarse of a 6mo -1 year. Is this the way this happens? Also, have any of you noticed an increased of long vellus hair all over your body - hands, stomach, etc? Any insight would be appreciated. By the way - my periods still come monthly, I am not overweight, and i am not on birth control and did not come off bithcontrol.

2. RatsNest

RatsNest Guest

Joan
    I have not been diagnosed with PCOS, but I have a lot of the symptoms, and yes they came on at a later age. I have regular periods, am not overweight, no bcp, but I had the monthly acne, very strange long hairs growing in odd places, lots of nasty facial hair and very elevated glucose levels. It all seemed to start around 45 years of age. Oh and that is when my hair started dropping like crazy. Hundreds daily. For years. Did all the blood work and everything was normal except my glucose, but that was not diabetic yet. My daughter also has some symptoms and did some testing but she got very inconclusive results.
    Have you had a sonogram to check for cysts? I think that is the most accurate way to tell.

3. joan

joan Guest

I have the cysts but the doctors say many women have them who don't have pcos. They also say other disorders can cause them too. Are you taking metformin? Are you getting the long peach fuzz everywhere too?

4. RatsNest

RatsNest Guest

This is why doctors drive me crazy! You have cysts on your ovaries and they are telling you you do not have poly CYSTIC ovarian syndrome!Ugh! I might get a second opinion on that. No, I do not take metformin yet. I am trying to delay that with diet changes. I will wait for my numbers to get a little worse and my doctor to get mad! I have found that my facial hair is much more pronounced and longer than it was. Practically like whiskers on my chin! An alarming amount of black hairs there too. Chest hair once in a while and some crazy eyebrow hairs every so often(one was light, but nearly 2 inches long when I discovered it. I thought it was a stray scalp hair that kept annoying me until I traced it back to my eyebrow :crazy: The random longer hairs on my body don't bother me too much because they are rare and light in color.
    I am due for another blood test within a few months so I will know if the diet has helped the blood glucose levels.