Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

IS this more common than i think?

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed Alopecians' started by katethegreat, Aug 23, 2010.

1. katethegreat

katethegreat Guest

It has only been about a month since I saw my first spot, and I am still learning so much about this.

I have been diagnosed with Alopecia Areata, and I have a few large spots and several smaller spots on my head with the exclamation point hairs in them. I started getting treatment for those spots, my derm told me to use steroid cream and clobex shampoo in addition to the steroid injections.

But now my hair is noticeably thinning all over. I am shedding. It comes out in clumps when i comb it (once every 2 days) and when i wash it (same, only with clobex). There is always a hair or two on my shirt. I have been counting and I count that I lose between 150 to 200 hairs a day. That has only been happening for a few weeks, maybe two, but I can already tell when i look at myself. Plus it is getting harder to cover my large bald patches. I see my derm for the steroid shots again next week and I plan to bring it up with her. But I want to be more well informed when I do.

Is it very common to have Alopecia Areata and Androgenetic Alopecia at the same time? My Alopecia Areata showed up first, very clearly, and I was wondering if the all over hair shedding might be due to the clobex shampoo or something. I vacillate between thinking the clobex is the only thing keeping my hair in my head and blaming it for the all over loss. The hairs I shed usually have little tips, like a hair thats been pulled out, and sometimes look as if they have just broken off.