Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Is your Androgenetic Alopecia genetic?

Discussion in 'Living with Androgenetic Alopecia' started by JeHope, Mar 6, 2012.

1. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Ladies,

Did you inherit your Androgenetic Alopecia?

I have zero family history of Androgenetic Alopecia, but I am wondering how often it occurs for no genetic reason.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    No one else in my family has it.

3. midwife

midwife Guest

Everyone in my family has it. All the women, my maternal grandmother, her sisters, my mother, my aunt, my mother. What's funny is that all the men in my family have it too. Both grandfathers, my father, all my uncles (on both sides), my son.

4. triisha12

triisha12 Guest

Not a single person in my family has it either.

5. RaisinCookie

RaisinCookie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have one uncle with it and that's it. Everyone else has thick full hair, even my 86 year old grandma!

6. mrm

mrm Guest

it is in my family no question but my father STILL has a full head of hair at 78. my mother has it but didn't start for her until her 60s! her sister, my maternal aunt, was in a wig by 54! mine started in my early 40s - go figure!!!!!!!!!

7. Bummer

Bummer Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've got some people in my family tree with hair loss (mostly men, one woman that I know of though I'm unsure of the cause). I'm pretty sure it's inherited in my case.

8. Lost

Lost Guest

No women in my family but my mon passed away young form cancer my dad died i his 70s full head of hair, I do have 1 uncle who is bald on top thats it though.

9. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the responses!

A lot of you mentioned that men in your family have hair loss. I thought that female Androgenetic Alopecia was only inherited from women?

10. Lost

Lost Guest

I should add that I'm not convinced mine is all Androgenetic Alopecia I feel I have more going on then then that! :(

11. RatsNest

RatsNest Guest

All the men on my Dad's side are bald. My maternal Grandmother had almost no hair on the top of her head. My mom's hair is now thinning. Mine started earlier (2005 in my early 40's)
    Androgenetic Alopecia is passed on through both sides.

12. Bummer

Bummer Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    :agree:

13. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had my lightbulb moment when talking to my mother many years ago. I shared a genetic dental defect with her brother and sister. When she mentioned that my aunt would soon need a wig and my uncle had lost most of his hair, I saw my future. My father had lost a good deal of his hair before he died but my mother had a nice head of hair for her age.

14. Blahblahblah

Blahblahblah Member

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much everyone in my family has it, both men and women. When I think about it, my hair never even stood a chance.

15. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    My fathers side has the gene. My mothers whole family has a full head of hair. I am not convinces mine is Androgenetic Alopecia, but it could very well be the case.

I guess i will be the first women who has it in my family if it is Androgenetic Alopecia....

I did hear before that normally women get it from their moms side of the family and guys from the fathers side....???!!

But i guess you can get if from both sides...

16. sadgirl

sadgirl Guest

my mom and my sister ,, my brother too ,,,thats it ,,,the others have full hair

17. Arisemysoul

Arisemysoul Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    The only people on either side of my families are 2 great great aunts that were gone long before I was born. My mom and her 2 sisters used to joke about their bald great aunts. When my hair loss started I asked my mom about it more in depth. She said actually they were in their ninety's when their hair became quite thin! That sounds more like an old age symptom to me.

So as far as I know, I think I'm the only one with this problem. Even the men in my family have hair. <SIGH> This makes me feel even worse for some reason.

18. yoshi

yoshi Guest

my grandfather and my uncle both lost their hair by age 20. i am 30 now and still have some hair lol but i know it is genetic.

19. BGS92

BGS92 Guest

All the men in my family except one uncle has male pattern baldness. I do have a younger brother who still has an insanely thick full head of hair, but hey he's a teenager so we'll see about his hair in a few years. I do have a feeling he's good though, there is just something about his hairline and texture that says he's the lucky one out of the two of us and gets to keep his hair. Only time will tell I guess.
    But for me, father is balding and has been ever since his early to mid thirties. Mother is not balding (they are both 50 now), but has relatively fine and oil-prone hair (still a full head of it though). All my aunts have very thick, coarse hair, and my grandmothers have a full head of hair way past their 80's. It feels so unfair that out of all the women in my family as far back as I can possibly go, have/had a full head of hair all their life. And I have to be the one odd-ball!

20. Mihamay

Mihamay Guest

I have been thinking about this question for a long time myself. My mother had Androgenetic Alopecia and my sister lost most of her hair last year, after a stressful divorce. BUT, my mothers' mother had a full head of hair until she died ( around 75 y.o) and my mother had 5 sisters and all had wonderful thick and black hair until they died ( in their 60s, 70s or 80s). My mother herself had wonderful hair until about 20, then she slowly started losing it. ( but at that age she moved out of her village, started to work and following a university in the same time, started to smoke and later got a very stressful job in a polluted factory). All her sisters remained into their villages having what a believe a more simple and probably healthier lifestyle. At the age of 39 ( exactly my age)my mother had a very stressful year and lost most of her hair ( like my sister and probably, like me - I am the only one fighting it back, they never did).
    I believe there is definitely a genetic aspect linked to Androgenetic Alopecia. BUT somehow I believe it should be triggert by something that puts the gene into activation and make us lose our hair. I am just wondering if this gene has a switch off button as well and what should I do to switch it off now.