Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

IVF medication and hair loss

Discussion in 'Medications that can cause Hair Loss' started by Trichster, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Trichster

Trichster Member

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone experienced severe hair loss when on IVF medication?
    a few of the patients where I work have suffered hairloss whilst stimming, I'm due to have my first round this year and it is something im starting to stress about... I know the stress isn't good either lol but can't help wonder, so is there anyone here who has had IVF and lost a lot of hair?

2. Mahtabkd

Mahtabkd New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ivf and hair loss

Hi im new at ivf. i just went through my first cycle 2 monts ago and got a bfn. Everything was fine until a month ago, i started losing a lot of hair. I tried everything from drinking 8-10 glasses of water , prenatal vitamins were suggested because of high iron follic acid amd zinc which is good for hair, i also started biotin bepanthen injections however nothing made it stop until 2 nights ago when i started birth control pills( yasmin) my hair loss stopped immediately. I had heard since you are given progesterone and estrogen during ivf and after a failed cycle you dont take them anymore the levels drop suddenly therefore your hair starts to fall, its similar to pregnancy when you give birth ghese levels drop therefore you experience hairloss. The birth control pills help balance these two hormones. I just hope this is helpful for some of you going ghrough the same thing as i have since i lost almost 1/5 of my hair in the past month and was deppressed over this matter. Good luck on your ivf journey.

3. ducksauce

ducksauce Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Best wishes on your IVF journey! I did one round of IVF 11 years ago, never lost hair... and now have a 10 year old daughter. I also never had postpartum hair loss, don't know if thats a connection or not.

4. Teresa D

Teresa D New Member

Dislikes Received:
    IVF medications can cause lots of hormone imbalances and wide swings in your vitamin levels. A good prenatal vitamin, even if you are not pregnant yet, is worth taking as it might stabilize some of the swings that you are having. Biotin in your vitamin is a good thing as well. Good luck!