Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

JAK Inhibitors

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hairlosshelp, Oct 25, 2015.

1. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Rarely am I very optimistic after 1 year of researching potential hair loss cures, but this piqued my interest and I was wondering if anyone could share their opinions on it here:

http://www.hairlosscure2020.com/hug...-regrow-hair-in-androgenic-alopecia/#comments

Keep in mind that there are a few issues that I'm sure we're all familiar with but I'll elaborate on later (pharma-related), but last year tofacitinib citrate caused hair regrowth on a patient with alopecia universalis:http://www.hairlosscure2020.com/arthritis-drug-reverses-bald-mans-alopecia-universalis/ & http://www.hairlosscure2020.com/cancer-drug-ruxolitinib-reverses-alopecia-areata/

I didn't follow the developments of this because I don't have Alopecia Universalis/Alopecia Areata/AT, but this has now cropped up again with potential as an Androgenetic Alopecia treatment.

So going back to the typical issues that we're all familiar with by now when it comes to hair loss treatments is $$$$$, in this case not only for them to get a patent but the drugs itself cost a lot.

I haven't kept up as much with researching new treatments because as usual there's the 5 years - 10 years thing that they've been saying for what? 20 years or so? But this time it seems like there's a lot of optimism in hair loss sufferers as well and we know that's quite rare.

2. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    From what I have read there seems tp be a variation in patients to response in both time and dosage needed to get regrowth. Dr King has trials at Stanford I believe, I don't think as of yet they have come to a conclusion what dosage would be needed to maintain the regrowth, so this is really a treatment in my opinion. It of course comes with risks and so each patient has to be evaluated if they are a suitable candidate.

I know it not available in the UK as it was deemed the risks out weighed the benefits. Probably money was an issue as well as in here it is very much seen as a cosmetic disease from my experience!

On a personal note I have always turned down any treatment that may have adverse effects,just my opinion but it may be many years until the true side effects come to light, the pill and HRT just a copule of examples, however I would wish anyone who decides to go ahead all the luck in the world that it works for them, each one of us must do what we feel is right for ourselves.
    I have lives as Alopecia Universalis for most of my life, been given false hope too many times as a teenager, now I just thankful for all the great people in my life and I will continue to wait patiently for a cure which hopefully I will still be around to see :)

3. LISA28

LISA28 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been interested about this too! You are right, this seems to be the most promising discovery that I've read about as well. Like you, I am hesitantly optimistic that a topical could also work for androgenic alopecia. Fingers crossed but it seems too good to be true...