Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Jennifer’s Story - 52 - Androgenetic Alopecia

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by jenh526, Sep 3, 2018.

1. jenh526

jenh526 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello fellow hair loss sufferers. I was diagnosed with androgenetic alopecia when I was around 21. So I’ve been suffering with this for 30 years. For the majority of my life I have had a wide part. Now I’m reaching menopause age and the thinning seems to have accelerated in the past year. I’ve never done too much to try and address it. I part my hair on the side. Early on I tried Nioxin but it didn’t do much for me and dried out my hair. I’ve always been too scared to try Rogaine due to the initial shedding.

I talked to my doctor about it and she gave me a referral to a dermatologist. I haven’t made an appointment yet. I feel like I have to do something because it is getting wispy now and I am getting increasingly despondent about it. I am leaning towards finding a wig, although I have no idea how to go about this. One hairdresser pressured me into buying one that was expensive and looks pretty terrible. I haven’t worn it. I have been to another wig shop about 300 miles from where I live and found one I kind of liked. Wasn’t ready to buy it that day as it was expensive, but still plan to go again when I get the time.

One issue I have with wearing a wig is how my mean coworkers will react to it. They are already hostile towards me and I’m sure this will give them some more ammo. I know I shouldn’t care but my self-confidence is already in the tank from having lived with this problem for so long.

Basically I am pretty much a shut-in these days. Don’t go anywhere except to the grocery store and work. I am unmarried and have never really had the confidence to date because of this. I was involved with a terrible man a couple years ago who continually pointed out my hair loss and told me I needed to use Rogaine (among other critiques of my appearance).

I hate feeling so uncomfortable with myself. I work with women from a culture where the majority have thick, long, beautiful hair, and I just feel inadequate. In some ways I feel pretty shallow worrying about this, there are a lot more serious problems people have, but I am envious of those who never have to worry about it.

Anyway I guess I will read here in hopes of learning something that might help.

2. Tatum

Tatum New Member

Dislikes Received:

3. Tatum

Tatum New Member

Dislikes Received:
    You are more than your hair although I know how you feel; I’ve been there myself. There are lots of support groups online and many options today for hair loss. There’s a great Facebook group called Wig and Topper Help for those with hair loss. It’s a very encouraging and uplifting site that gives all kinds of tips and advice for those who have decided to try some helper hair. Many of the pieces are beautiful and very natural looking. Hopefully this could boost your confidence! Good luck to you!

Barbarina and jenh526 like this.
  4. Jtilly

Jtilly Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I’m so sorry to hear what you’re experiencing.
    Entering wig world is very scary and intimidating.
    I have just started rapidly losing my hair in the last 4 months.
    Had super thick hair in December, by April things dramatically started changing.
    TE with androgenetic alopecia.
    It’s been incredibly difficult to accept. Very devastating.
    I have gone to look at expensive human hair wigs 3 times, and it is still hard for me to get myself to accept all this. It’s a work in progress and I imagine it always will be.
    I wish you encouragement and strength.
    Sending positive thoughts your way!!

Tatum, Gina and jenh526 like this.
  5. Wildflower

Wildflower New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really sorry to hear how you have struggled over the years with this problem. And the man you were with sounds completely worthless. There are nice people out there, who will provide you with support and not put you down. As someone else said, please try to find some support with this problem. I can't really comment on how to deal with your coworkers other than to ask whether finding a new job (with your new wig) might be an option. It would be desperately sad for you to have your life defined by your hair or lack thereof. You honestly deserve a good and happy life. Sending lots of hugs your way!

Gina and jenh526 like this.
  6. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:

7. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jennifer, I am right with you...I feel bad that you have been dealing with this so long,for me only 2 years ,I get treated so different with a wig on,society is shallow to say the least .Gravitate to only good people and animals they don't judge

jenh526 likes this.
  8. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:

9. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jennifer,i think it would help us all to find a local support group! I am in South Florida where do you live? Shutting ourselves in is depressing. we need to have good times to look forward to .have a great day ,you are not alone in this.

jenh526 likes this.
  10. jenh526

jenh526 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Gina,

I'm in the western US. How do you feel wearing a wig? I would like to find one that looks natural. Saw a dermatologist the other day who wrote me a prescription for Propecia. I'm scared of it though. Did you get your wig online or in a wig store?

11. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:

12. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jenn I don't like wearing wigs at all!!!yikes I bought two from a wig shop they are synthetic and are ok,unless there is a bang it's hard for make the top look natural,we ordered one from wigs but,it wasn't the right one,but it took like 6 weeks to get it's real hair but I was so disappointed wondering why it couldn't be the one we wanted...my experience at the wig shop was not good,the lady acted like she wanted me out of there fast with my bandana,told me I could only try on six wigs,i didn't listen to her asked for more to try on and ended up buying one too small 300 dollars and no return,find a good wig shop if they treat you bad leave as I should have done,these people.....growl and that's why I need to ride my bike
    ,If I could...can't wait till I can ride 20 miles again.

13. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    That was wigsbuy.com