Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Joann or Carol

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by ginawat, Mar 5, 2008.

1. ginawat

ginawat Guest

I'm hoping you can help me ~ I have some questions about Diffuse Alopecia Areata vs Androgenetic Alopecia. If a person continues to shed large amounts of hair - over a long period of time (for me 8+ months) is it more likely that they have Androgenetic Alopecia or diffuse Alopecia Areata? I never experienced a "bald patch" like some folks with Alopecia Areata explain....but I also don't have a slow progression like women with Androgenetic Alopecia speak of.

My shedding was fast and furious and still continues to this day. The result is pretty evident - I have very thin hair with scalp showing. The hair falls from everywhere but the most affected areas are the crown and the side (right above the ears) There is a strip of hair in the back (middle) that seems to e the only area where the hair is healthy and growing. Its almost as if ALL the hair from the top and sides is still int he resting phase and ready to fall out.

When I read Dotty's poem it made me wonder - could I have diffuse Alopecia Areata like her? Am I just waiting for it all to fall out? If I had diffuse Alopecia Areata would I already be bald by now since its been over 8months of this shedding?

I think I recall Carol mentioning hers hair loss happened rapidly, too - - but was it over 1month or many more.

I'm so sorry for the 20 questions. I'm just so lost by all of this (still) It consumes me....its hard not to "stress" or "obsess" over it when its like watching a train wreck in slow motion...and not being able to do anything to stop it.

Thanks
    Gina

2. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I would try Rogaine to see if it helps. It's helpful for both TE and Androgenetic Alopecia, so if it's either of the two it can help it, and if it's diffuse Alopecia Areata you'll be able to tell. But with Rogaine you usually have a dread shed during the first few months.

3. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Gina,

I'm back after quite a long absence from the site due to both my parents being unwell. Just to clarify my friend Dotty has Alopecia Universalis which is total loss of body hair .

Diffuse Alopecia Areata can be hard to diagnose and can mimic Androgenetic Alopecia. A scalp biopsy can sometimes give you a diagnosis but they are not always conclusive. Pitted nails are a sign as well as exclamation point hairs ( short broken off hairs that are narrower closer to the scalp). Losing hair on other areas of your body is another indication .

This picture may help you too. The person in the picture has diffuse Alopecia Areata

[​IMG]

My lost bout of Alopecia Areata was slow and steady but presented with the bald patches which are so characteristic with Alopecia Areata.

I would be glad to try and help with any other questions you may have.

Take care. Hugs, Joann

4. angieangie

angieangie Guest

What do you mean by pitted nails?

5. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Re: Joann or Carol - Reply to Joann

Joann-

THANKS SO MUCH!

I'm kind of confused abuot exclamation point hairs. Can you tell me more - I'm having a hard time visualizing them. Do I look at a fallen hair or one still connected?

As for the picture - my sides are that thin. I have long hair - but if I cut it short it would look just like that on the sides.

But - couldn't that person have TE/CTE or Androgenetic Alopecia?

Also - does Diffuse Alopecia Areata ever correct itslelf or are the follicles gone forever?

Also - does DAA cause an irritated scalp ever?

Thanks Joann! :)

6. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

HI Ginawat,

I would say that the picture does not show Androgenetic Alopecia. That is really more at the top of your head and also like man: crown and temples. The sides above your ears are not Androgenetic Alopecia affected. Although that is what my derm said. Also, to diagnose if I had Androgenetic Alopecia they took 50 hairs above the ears and 50 hairs on top of my head, near the crown. Then they compared that how much hairs were in the telogene phase (for Androgenetic Alopecia it should be more on top). This is my opinion, but maybe some other can react on it?

7. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Gina, pitted nails are little indentations in your nails..like small pen point size...
    WHen I had Alopecia Areata my nails were completely healthy though...

8. SAMANTHA07

SAMANTHA07 Guest

i have at almost Alopecia Universalis, my nails are not good either.
    Alopecia Areata can correct itself

9. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Goodyear -

hat is what my sides look like - - but my crown is also VERY thin. I wonderif I have Androgenetic Alopecia on the vrown but my sides are just goign though a TE??? It has been a long 8 months and I do not see regrowth on the sides. :(

10. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

Oh, I just don't know then! It's so difficult!

11. babeecakes

babeecakes Guest

Joann,

Good to see you back but sorry about your parents' health problems.
    I hope and pray they are improving.

Your post was very informative. I have also viewed your previous posts showing your wigs and must say that you really do look good in those wigs and they look so natural. I loved the pictures of you and your husband when you were first married and then the ones as the years have gone by.

The Alopecia Areata pic you posted is helpful since I have been wondering how you tell the difference between diffuse Alopecia Areata and Androgenetic Alopecia. My hair sheds and seems so much thinner on the sides above the ears. It sheds diffusely all over but the sides seem worse. I am going to aske the dermatologist about diffuse Alopecia Areata when I go back next week. Thanks again for your post. Take care.

BBcakes

12. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Re: Joann or Carol - MORE QUESTIONS!

Joann and all~

I am really having a hard time grasping what a exclamtion point hair is. Here is Joann's description above : exclamation point hairs ( short broken off hairs that are narrower closer to the scalp. While trying to determine this am I to look at a fallen hair or one connected to my head. She mentions "closer to the scalp" which leads me to believe it shoud be connected. But the "short broken off hair" part leans the other way.

I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED

13. SAMANTHA07

SAMANTHA07 Guest

THE SMALL HAIR WILL HAVE THE END NOT STRAIGHT BUT A BIT CURLY LIKE AN EXLAMATION MARK. NEW GROWTH HAS THE END MORE STRAIGHT THICKER

14. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

Maybe some one can find pictures of it?

15. Guest

Guest Guest

my hair loss did occur within a month or so, and then i was completely bald.

and i have been bald and beautiful ever since. i have Alopecia Universalis.

i am not sure in your case. what did your doctor tell you about it?

16. ginawat

ginawat Guest

An exclamation mark is not curly though......!

Now I am even more confused.

17. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

GINA

The end going towards the SCALP is tapered.. the hair growing out is thinner right at the scalp then gets thicker towards the end/bottom

Tapered at the end/bottom of a hair is normal.

18. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Hi BH -

OK - but how in the world is that considered an ! if its still attached.

Also - your description varies from Samanthas AND Joanns ....

I looked for a picture and can't find one.

19. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

So if you hold your hair up to the ceiling, your head would make the point in the exclamation mark.... :jump:

sorry.. I am making fun of something serious..please dont be offended.

20. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Im not offended....

but I''m still trying to understand all this