Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Joann or Carol

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by ginawat, Mar 5, 2008.

1. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Scalp

Who has a chronic scalp condition along with their chronic hair loss? Is this typical of Alopecia Areata, Alopecia Universalis, AT? More so with Androgenetic Alopecia? TE/CTE?

My scalp is always itchy...I have tiny wite bumps that disodge easily with the hair attached - a guess its a ball of sebum. I lose eyelash length hair (note - NOT EYELASHES)....1-2 inch hairs...as well as long telogen hairs.

My scalp is ALWAYS itchy and irritated. Wehn I wasn't losing hair my scalp was normal.

2. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I could be mistaken, but I know that it is normal to have a hair that has never been cut, to taper at the END/Furthest end from the scalp. Look it up.....I thought ! hairs were named that for a reason. Look at the direction of it....pointed down towards the scalp....

3. ginawat

ginawat Guest

You are 100% correct about the tapered - uncut hairs. Those I can clearly recognize. Its the confusion over the ! hairs that has me puzzled.

I'm having one of the worse days ever.

4. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

I am sorry sweetie.....I am here for you.

5. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Gina, lets figure out what youve already tried and that hasnt worked.. Lets make a list.

Also, you NEED to try and get a diagnosis from a derm,k? Please. We need to knwo what it is so you can be treated. If you only want to go natural, then fine. But we need a Dx.

6. SAMANTHA07

SAMANTHA07 Guest

GINA, BUNNY HAS DESCRIBED IT BETTER THAN ME,
    HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR?
    IT IS BETTER TO SEE A DOCTOR FIRST AND HE WILL EXAMINE YOUR SCALP.
    PLEASE DON'T BE DOWN WE ARE HERE FOR YOU

7. ginawat

ginawat Guest

I have been to about 15 dostors...maybe more.

The irritation is said to be Seborrheic Dermatitis.

My hairloss was said to be TE or Androgenetic Alopecia.

But - my shedding continues....my head is a mess....

All the women I see with Androgenetic Alopecia have healthy scalps...and their loss seems to be more of a slow progession....not this fast and furious.

My little boy just got up from his nap. I'll try and write more later - esp abut my doctor visits, etc.

8. SAMANTHA07

SAMANTHA07 Guest

YOU ARE SO STRESSED OUT, I THINK YOU WILL SHED MORE IF YOU DON'T CALM DOWN

9. SAMANTHA07

SAMANTHA07 Guest

YOU ARE SO STRESSED OUT, I THINK YOU WILL SHED MORE IF YOU DON'T CALM DOWN

10. ginawat

ginawat Guest

I am a mess...you are right. I am having the worst day ever.

11. Merry

Merry Guest

I have diffuse alopecia areata. I was diagnosed with it by several scalp biopsies about 6 years ago. I went through years of my scalp burning, itching, and feeling like it was hit with a baseball bat.......just so sore. The last two years, there has been much less pain, but the hairloss has been constant. In the beginning, I could lose 500 or more hairs per day. Now it is probably 100 or 150, but of course, I've got so little hair left. I've lost about 60 to 70 percent of my once really, really thick hair. Diffuse Alopecia Areata can be VERY aggressive and take most of one's hair quite quickly. Or, as in my case, just take a couple hundred hairs a day, so the balding process takes years. The other thing that is very important is that some people get regrowth with diffuse Alopecia Areata and some get almost no regrowth. I've got it only on top of my head, and just a little on the sides. Usually diffuse takes on a very different pattern than Androgenetic Alopecia. If you have lots of hairloss on the sides and above the ears, this is almost never Androgenetic Alopecia and can definitely be diffuse Alopecia Areata. Many derms have never seen diffuse Alopecia Areata, and remember, a scalp biopsy is only as good as the lab and the doctor that is reading the slides. If you have any other questions about diffuse Alopecia Areata, I'd be happy to try and answer. As with regular Alopecia Areata, it is very unpredictable, except to say, I don't believe that it ever really goes away from seeing some of the best derms specializing in Alopecia Areata and also corresponding with over a dozen other women who have been properly diagnosed.

12. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Merry, is there any treatment for diffuse Alopecia Areata?

13. Merry

Merry Guest

In the beginning, they tried injecting my head with tiny shots of corticosteroids. I had 70 at a time. Just did that a few times, but it was futile, as diffuse Alopecia Areata affects your whole head (of course some areas can shed a whole lot more than others). Docs also push topical steroids, but I've never talked to anyone who has been helped by them either. The one thing that has SLOWED DOWN my hairloss is taken antihistamines, trying to keep your histamine level more constant. I take Allegra in the moring and zyrtec (sp) at night. REmember, there is absolutely no cure for any type of Alopecia Areata. Alopecia Areata is a progressive disease. Some treatments slow down the progression, but never get rid of it. Alopecia Areata does what it wants to do.

14. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Yes...Alopecia Areata is unpredictable. How do you know you have it vs TE or DUPA (diffuse unpatterned alopecia-a form of Androgenetic Alopecia)? Are the signs profuse shedding and scalp pain?

15. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Merry...how do I get answers like you did. Do you mind giving out the doctors name that diagnosed you?

I am ready to take the bridge.

16. Merry

Merry Guest

I live in the Chicago area and used Northwestern University and University of Chicago. Now I have a suburban doctor who is very much an Alopecia Areata expert.

When my hairloss started we didn't know if it was TE or diffuse Alopecia Areata. The derms who really specialize in hairloss, KNEW it was not Androgenetic Alopecia. If you have lots of loss on sides, around ears and mine was also falling out like crazy in the nape area, well this is not Androgenetic Alopecia. It was clear in my scalp biopsy that it was not chronic TE, because there were not an abnormal number of hairs in the telegen phase in the biopsy tissue AND it clearly showed a pattern of inflammation surrounding the hair follicles that was indicative of Alopecia Areata. The inflammation in Alopecia Areata is unique and the diagnosis of Alopecia Areata is very specific. Now, not all biopsies are conclusive, but my doctor told me I had about a 75 percent chance of getting a good indication of the problem. As upsetting as the news of Alopecia Areata was, I was still happy to have found out.

17. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

18. ginawat

ginawat Guest

But this form is not scarring...right...? I thought with Alopecia Areata the follicle did not die and therefore hair regrowth was at least possible - whereas with Androgenetic Alopecia the follicle gradually dies.

I would love to talk with you more and get the name of your doctor. I will travel to see a good doctor.

19. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Also - if the hairs you were losing in these high sheds were not telogen - what were they?

20. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Gina did you see the link above I posted showing an illustration of an ! hair? I guess they are broken off hairs, not shed hairs...