Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Joann or Carol

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by ginawat, Mar 5, 2008.

1. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Yes - I saw the picture....but (and I'm sorry for this) - it is still so confusing. Broken off hairs? Is then something left at the scalp level to see...meaning the other portion of the broken hair?

Man - I wish I wasn't so dense - but this is all SO confusing to me.

Once again - I have NO CLUE what I "have"

2. Merry

Merry Guest

OK, diffuse Alopecia Areata is a non-scarring form of alopeica. So, yes, the hair follicles are still viable. That is why SOME of us have regrowth in SOME areas of our scalps. I have regrown hair in the top, crown area for the past 6 years. The top of my heaed is very much thinning, but not at all bald. If I had had no regrowth, I would have been bald years ago.

The hairs I lose are in the ANAGEN, or growh, phases. That is a real bummer. They come out of my head looking like they have a notch at the root end. Very different from a telegen hair.

3. ginawat

ginawat Guest

God - I wish I knew what a "notch" looked like - versus a telogen hair....versus a ! hair.

What is a notch?!?!?

4. Merry

Merry Guest

It looks a little frayed......like it has a tiny, teeny split end.......but remember, this is the ROOT end of the hair.

5. peekaboo

peekaboo Guest

Merry,
    You are so informing and probably a godsend for Gina and I, We both have the same thing going on and my loss is mainly on the sides and nape of neck. I do have re-growth only at the top of my scalp. Do you have alot of flakes on your scalp, and when you use a medicated shampoo, does it make your hair shed horrible?
    I feel like whatever I put on my scalp, it takes away alot of hair, I want to go swimming this summer, but I'm scared to death on what the chlorine water will do to me :shakehead:
    With diffuse Alopecia Areata, does or will it ever stop shedding and grow back? Is there still a chance????? And do you take anything for it? Shoot, if Gina has luck with your DR. I might just take a road trip myself. LOL I'm only in MI.

6. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Merry

I have an idea. This would help Gina out A LOT. Can you take a picture of the anagen shed hair? I would like to see it too....sounds like the root looks the same as what I shed....this would be great!!

7. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Gina. I have an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone in your family have long hair? Long enough to take a few strands from their brush and compare the end to yours? That is what I just did. My BF has gorgeous non thinning hair down to his butt. I just compared some of my hairs ends to his and they are almost identical. I know it sounds crazy but it will help you to see if its a normal shed hair or not. Take the "sebum ball" off your strand gently, THEN compare the end to see if its an ! or if its like your family members strand. ............. :bravo:

8. Merry

Merry Guest

OK, it won't work to try to take a pic of one teeny end of one teeny hair. But an anagen hair looks like this.......take your index finger and middle finger and separate them slightly. Anagen hairs have that kind of a tiny notch to the end of it. A telegen hair has a kind of bulb at the end of it.

Peekaboo ~ Your pattern of loss sounds identical to mine, although I have absolutely no flakes on my scalp. In the beginning of my diffuse Alopecia Areata, I did get tiny red bumps occasionally, but haven't in years.

Regarding hair doctors, just remember that none of them have a cure for diffuse Alopecia Areata, or regular circular Alopecia Areata. However, for me it was necessary to identify exactly what I have, do the best I can and accept it. I've worn toppers for almost 6 years now and at some time as the Alopecia Areata progresses even more, will have to move into full wigs.

9. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi again Girls,

Time is still precious for me and I wasn't able to log on or reply to your message Gina. I am thankful that Merry saw and replied to your questions about diffuse Alopecia Areata.

There still seems to be confusion as to what exclamation point hairs are. For those of us who present with actual bald patches it easier to see the exclamation point hairs. They actually look like new regrowth but are not. They are broken off hairs which will fall out eventually. Very disappointing to learn that what someone thought was new hair was not. The hair is narrower closer to the scalp. They would probably be harder to see if you have diffuse Alopecia Areata so that's where a scalp biopsy could help. They could look for these hairs in the sample taken. Here are a couple more pictures I was able to find. The first is of a single exclamation point hair. The second is a picture of a bald patch. The exclamation point hairs are the ones you see in the middle of the patch. They will eventually fall out too.

Hope they clarify what an exclamation point hair is.

Hugs, Joann

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Joanne

Actually, I remmeber losing some hairs about a month ago that were thinner at the scalp end and got thicker down the shaft...I thought it was some abnormality because I am taking an anti androgen..I could have diffuse Alopecia Areata I suppose..thats peachy.

11. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Joann~

Thank you so much for logging on and reply...I really appreciate everyones time (Merry, Bunnyheather, Angie, etc) I don't think I have seen these hairs on me...fallen or connected. Mine do seem to be telogen and not that of the description Merry gave (with a notch)

I guess I'm back to the drawing board. I guess my crown is Androgenetic Alopecia and my sides CTE?

This is the pits

12. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

You either have Diffuse Androgenetic Alopecia or TE....I think. Just because not everyone that has Androgenetic Alopecia has scalp irritiation doesnt mean it cant happen. But I am thinking TE, since you have been losing so much.....

There is such a thing as losing everywhere and having Androgenetic Alopecia. Its called diffuse Androgenetic Alopecia. I suppose there is also difuse Alopecia Areata. I have read about all the types of hair loss.

Can I ask you what your next step is? Since no doctors can help.....are you going to try anything yourself?

13. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Your hair loss pattern sounds a lot like mine. I'm not 100% sure if I have Androgenetic Alopecia and TE though, because apparently iron deficiency can mimic Androgenetic Alopecia type hair loss. That's why I'm starting to consider not taking minoxidil. If a hair is miniaturized, will it only become unminiaturized from minoxidil or can the birth control fix that?

14. alicat

alicat Guest

I'm with you. I am confused too!

I also have thinning on the sides like in that pic. My hair is long so it kinda covers the bare spots. I was getting xtreme pain in my scalp back in Sept, but it didn't last too long. I was also VERY itchy for many months, but it's only lately the itching is subsiding.

What is this hair loss we have??

15. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I have thinning everywhere. I want to shave it off. I got myself all psyched that I would shave it if it got bad when I start minoxidil, but then I called my boyfriend and asked him if it would bother him and he was like "probably, a bit" and it made me feel kind of shitty. He always used to tell me that he wouldn't care if I was obese, or bald, or disabled or anything and now he's telling me this.

I can't stop crying anymore. I'm sick of all this.

16. alicat

alicat Guest

Me too :( I am TRYING to keep a positive outlook though.

My hair loss is EVERYWHERE. I wish it was only my part..I would be so happy then.

17. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I wish it would all fall out so I wouldn't have to deal with this anymore.

18. alicat

alicat Guest

not me!!! i want MORE!

19. Guest

Guest Guest

if your hair does fall out and you become one of us beautiful bald ladies, you still have to take care of your smooth bald head to keep your bald head beautiful, just like women with hair have to take care of their hair to keep it beautiful.

20. alicat

alicat Guest

that's right! :) it would be an adjustment, but we can get thru anything!