Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Just A Friendly Word Of Advice Through My Experiences

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by TinaM1968, Oct 12, 2018.

1. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    first off, this post it’s not meant to offend anyone or take light thier hailoss journey. It’s devastating, I know I’ve been living it for almost 5 years. I’ve been reading through a lot of posts here since I’ve joined..I see the desperation..I’m one and have actually been worse in the beginning. I’d like to tell you my journey that needs the caution in my title of this post.

Seeing minor (now looking back) hair loss almost 5 years ago sent me into reasearch mode, drs, blood work forums, it consumed my every waking moment....and sleep. I started with blood work from my primary who of course brushed it off as aging. I couldn’t accept it so my journeys led me to forum after forum (which in fine for researching) and everything that might have shown improvement or worked for someone I ran out to try. My first attempt was everyone said peri menopause I need bio identical progesterone cream. So I tried it. Then it was iron, which I did need as I was low however there is no magical ferritin number we are all individuals and what number worked for one necessarily isn’t your number I head from one women who at a lower then 80 ferritin didn’t better hairloss wise then when she pushed for 90. Another major shed for her so please take iron numbers with a grain of salt and listen to your body and make sure your testing so you don’t iron overload. Then I heard thyroid. My free T3 was low end of the range...big mistake..every time (3 times and I swear no more for me in the furture) they attempted to try meds (Ndt) my hair thinned and got extremely worse! You’d think I would have learned the first time but everyone said I didn’t give it enough time... wow I really should have listened to my body. Vitamins...harmless right? Only if you indeed need something Minerals? Harmless right? Again only if you need it. Because taking something you actually don’t need WILL cause a huge imbalance in your body...think that helps the hair? My experience? No and now you have to try and fix a new problem you may ha e created just because something worked for someone else...maybe they got lucky and that was indeed what their body was deficient in. My point I guess is be smart and research, test, before you run out and get a vitamin, mineral, shampoo, ect I wished I did a little more. I was terrified as no drs were of help that letting it go would make things worse...I’m here to say that following everything everyone else was doing and if it’s not what YOU need does the same only faster. Now I’m not saying give up do nothing..I’m saying if you think something may be your problem...check it out throughly BEFORE you run out and get it and start. Imbalances are no joke especially if you cause them yourself needlessly. I didn’t the coristiol testing surprised it was high when it shouldn’t be (stress) they urged since to lower it. This natural herb that natural herb. Herbs aren’t safe either without knowing what ones doing. Hormonal tests expensive ones ...I’ve spent so much wasted money I could just cry nothing helped.

So where am I at now? Starting from scratch I guess you can say...I’m doing a mineral vitamin blood test through a naturopath I saw a couple years ago ( she didn’t help much with the hairloss then but this test was awesome wished I understood and utilized it the first time) to see what my body needs as far as minerals and vitamins and replenish only them. I rescently saw a holistic Trichologist so did the scope and said scalp looked good no inflammation scarring or flakiness and a few miniaturized hairs. Looked at rescent blood work and said many thing could be going on one triggers the other. Exactly what I found in research all these years. Their are more then on cause of miniaturized hair besides Androgenetic Alopecia, chronic te, untreated thyroid excessive prolonged stress just to name a few I’ve found during research. My dheas have been high (adrenals and stress). So anyway she believes a detox to rid the body of any harmful toxins I may have caused and build the body back up a good multi clean diet maybe a dht blocker until things turn around. Now do I believe this is the miracle I’ve been looking for? No and I’m fearful that like in the past it will only make things worse I guess hard habits are hard to break. But it does make some sense. I ran and bought everything I heard that might have worked for someone else so I know now I definitely now have cause more imbalances making my hair worse.

Sorry for the long boring post....I just don’t want anyone else to do the things I didn’t out of desperation only to find themselves wishing they could go back to the beginning and handle things in a more rational manner. Again that hindsight. I pray we all find answers...solutions....and most importantly peace of mind ❤️

#1 TinaM1968, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Farrah711, sunshine21 and Jtilly like this.
  2. Aragon

Aragon New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tina. I agree. It’s so hard not to do something when you haven’t figured out the cause yet. That’s where I’m at, but I definitely don’t want to make anything worse so for now I do nothing. I’m curious though....were you able to lower your cortisol? I really suspect this is my problem. I’ve been suspecting it for years. But didn’t care too much until my hair started falling out.

Farrah711 likes this.
  3. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to lower my Dheas I do believe through diet and reducing stress I was over range for so long and last year I cut sugar completely for 6 months lost some weight in the progress. Good loss though drank spearmint tea cut caffeine down and was regularly taking insotiol the only thing I did differently then before was the caffeine sugar and reduce my worrying a bit but when I retested my Dheas were in range! When sugar was reintroduced slightly they went up a bit Haven’t done a new cortisol (4 point saliva test too expensive) but I am sleeping better my Dheas have always been slightly above range since my nightmare began. I do think it’s a major part of my problems

Farrah711 likes this.
  4. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    I was in constant “flight mode “ I stress horribly for about 3 years. Hard not too when your losing your hair and no one can help or give answers. My temples esp the left was hit hardest. It still has dark hairs they don’t seem to grow out rather then fall but I also have breakage. I keep hoping it’s just recycling to get to god growth again but for now I’d settle for no more loss or breakage

Farrah711 likes this.
  5. Aragon

Aragon New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you on the stress. It’s been a major problem in my life for years. What was your deas if you don’t mind sharing? Mine was normal, 214. I don’t know if high cortisol always raises dheas and I’ve never had my cortisol tested. Better sleep is always a good thing. I’ve been struggling to sleep well since April. Just started magnesium for that.

Farrah711 likes this.
  6. sunshine21

sunshine21 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you ladies for your posts, you’ve both given me a lot to think about, particularly cortisol levels. I started loosing hair in my teens and haven’t been able to get it back since. Now I fear it’s too late.
    I’m 38, indian with shoulder length curly thin, fine hair. I think bc started the hairloss. It was incredibly thick and by 18 I’d lost half. A locum dr (70ish) brushed me off and said he was losing Hair, we all do as we age. I lost all faith in drs.
    I had kids in my 30’s both time csection, lost hair post, which was normal. But for the last ten yrs my scalp has been noticeable. I’m taking Ashwaghanda and rhodiola herbs, as they are adaptogens to help with stress.
    I’m requesting full bloods on my next dr apt, as my hair seems to be getting even thinner since a cosmetic surgery 5months ago. I’ve had hair loss after operations, im sensitive to anaesthesia, but recovered the last two times. This time I haven’t.

Farrah711 likes this.
  7. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Well the highest was around 325 (looking back my stress was at its highest then) last December I was around 214 as well. So I was under range Stress has always been horrible for me. I worry over everything funny that when the hair loss started I was constantly worrying about a ovarian cyst I had triggered anxiety and phantom aches and pains that put me in more panic I’ve never been sick a day in my life at that point but stressed so bad then the hair looked slightly thin and a full blown 2 or 3 years on constant stress .such a vicious cycle

8. Lesle

Lesle New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been on this journey since the beginning of the year. I didn’t think too much of it at first because I have always had a head full of hair. In May is when it really got bad. Now I have lots of my scalp showing. I have been to the dermatologist 3 times and finally last month was diagnosed with Lichen Planopilaris of the scalp. So the hair i’ve lost is permanent. I wish doctors had taken me seriously with my symptoms in the beginning. Like you I was trying everything to help with the hair loss vitamins, shampoo you name it. I am sure stress played a roll with all of it and made it worse. I have been so depressed. I don’t even leave the house anymore unless I have too. Sorry for the long post. I have no one that understands what I am going through.