Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Just another Androgenetic Alopecia Story...and description of my treatment

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Barbarina, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking around here a bit and making some posts now and then. Now I will finllly introduce myself.
    Barbarina fm Europe, 44 yo, diagnosed a year ago with mail pattern Androgenetic Alopecia with miniaturization (thinner getting sides, those typical "triangles" which usually mostly men have).
    ALWAYS had very long (up to my waist strong hair and was always on estrogen containing pill, since 22 yo)
    Been to many Doctors, of course, nobody can say exactly what triggered it. All tests are normal except of having small hypothyroid issue. I was also for 2 years on a pill called minisiston which is considered high androgen pill, has no estrogen at all which is so important for hair grows.
    At the moment I am taking any herbs and supplements possible, and I switched to Diane35 - the "hair growing pill" and I am on Avodart since April.
    Tried mesotherapy on the sides of my head (10 sessions) and it didnt help at all.
    Rogaine which I am using is working on my lashes and other body hair, but hard to say wether there is improvement on the head. I see some shorter new hair on the top of my hair, but dont know how long they are going to grow or if they are already Androgenetic Alopecia miniaturized. Luckily for me no dread shed of which so many people are talking about, everything is within norm (been on 2% Rogaine since July and switched to 5% foam in August) The Dr said it will take up to 2 years to change texture of the hair in my problem zones back to normal, since hair needs several cycles. I noticed it in general, that all my new hair, each strand is just not as thick as it used to be in the past. Seems that I am trying virtually everything, but I feel that I just hit the brick wall.

Was also thinking (even so, most literature and Drs deny it) that putting pale blonde Highlights for 2 years every 1.5 - 2 month in my rather dark hair could have killed or weakened the roots, hence it doesnt grow as well as it should ???.

Just trying to stay brave and think positive. Had (and even now fm time to time) horrible panick attacks and overall depression. This constant question "what if it is going to get worse instead of improving?" Cant sometimes stop thinking of couple of guys I knew who had this male pattern Androgenetic Alopecia as mine and they lost 70% of their hair in 2 years ! I know these thoughts are toxic, but sometimes they just overwhelm me.

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've probably lost 70% of my hair but it's taken around 15 years. I tried everything without enough success to keep me from finally realizing I would need to "wear hair" which I've been doing for over 7 yrs. I'm 67 by the way. Welcome to the board!

3. megan99

megan99 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome. How long ago were you on the high androgen pill? That sounds like the culprit to me.

Do you take dutasteride every day? You are doing all you can--I think there is a very good chance that you will see improvement in the months to come...

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the board!. I'm 59 and have lost about 50% of my hair over the last 10 or so years and have been wearing hair for the last 5. I didn't have thick hair to start with so the loss really shows. Like you, I've gone to doctors and I'm perfectly healthy, all blood work is good, but I have Androgenetic Alopecia. I know it's hard not to have those panic moments, but you're doing all you can do.

5. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    First of all - thank you for all the warm welcome here ;-)

Now to the questions. I been on this androgen pill for about 1.5 years since July 2011 after I have complained that I started getting water retentions for up to 10 days prior my period. My Dr said that is because of Estrogen and prescribed to me this minisiston. Only when I been to trichologist did I find out that it is not good for hair to deprive yourself fm estrogen.
    And dudasteride I am taking for about 4 month 0.5mg every 2nd day. may be it is not even enough for me and I am this so called "testosterone sensetive" person who needs more.

At the moment I am just trying positive visualization techiniques, imagine myself with my hair returning back to normal etc. Re-reading a book about mind control method fm Jose Silva :))

6. cocoa

cocoa Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Avodart is the strongest anti dht on the market, but if you don't see any improvement after a year or so, i'd suggest trying an anti andrgogen like Spironolactone or androcur, along with the Diane 35. Anti-androgen (50mg)and oestrogen (25/50mg) seems to be the best treatment available for Androgenetic Alopecia. But it is not without risk of course. Just like any hormonal therapy.