Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Just Got Diagnosed With Fphl/Alopecia Areata And Have A Lot Of Questions

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by MiniNyla, Jan 30, 2019.

1. MiniNyla

MiniNyla New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on using this thread to document my progress as well. It’s been helpful finding threads like that.

I noticed my hair has gotten way thinner about a year ago. Not really sure when it started. I’ve always shed a lot of hair and never really thought anything of it. Over the last year my ponytail had gotten 50% thinner. A lot thinner on top, but it has thinned all over. Does it usually happen this fast?

The derm diagnosed me about a week ago. No bloodwork. Just a quick look at the top of my scalp. And subscribed me Spironolactone and Rogaine 5%. I do think her assessment is correct as I do have miniaturization. However, I feel like there is more going on. I do know miniaturization can happen with CTE as well but the mini hairs are all different sizes for that. Anything else that can cause miniaturization? I’m just a little concerned there may be more going on and want to get to the root of the issue rather can cover it with meds. I will be using to rogain for life most likely...and the Spironolactone, but if there is another issue like iron that can help more I would like to know that and fix it as well. Of course I left there crying my eyes out. It doesn’t help I don’t have anyone I can talk to.

Some interesting tidbits:
    Used to be anemic - would like my ferritin checked

I smoke weed - A LOT - I’ve read studies that say it can make hairloss worse. Trying to stop but I use it for anxiety and my anxiety is at an all time high! No pun intended lol....

I had breast implants for 10 years which can cause auto immune issue and hairloss. They also made me very sick. They were taken out almost 3 months ago now. ( wondering if I am going to get TE at the same time as losing hair from my meds!)

I was on anti anxiety meds but stopped almost a year ago thinking that caused it.

Around the time it looks like my hairloss started was when I stopped birth control. I was on a copper IUD. (I also started smoking weed at this time)

I have bad allergies and have just been tested and will go on immunotherapy injections. I’ve heard this can help hairloss because of the inflammation caused by the allergies can make hairloss worse. And you can lose hair because of bad allergies.

So I have a lot of reasons to be losing my hair.

Between turning 35, removing my breast implants, and now losing my hair I am just having a really hard time. My self esteem is at an all time low. I am SO worried about how bad it’s going to get with Spironolactone and Rogaine before it hopefully gets better.

Also, she only put me on 50 mg of Spironolactone and doesn’t want to see me for 6 months. This doesn’t seem high enough so I am sure she will raise it. Has anyone noticed more shedding when you raise the dosage? How about with Rogaine? I am thinking of starting one time a day and going to two times but I do not want to go through shedding twice?

I am uploading some photos. The first three are my pony tail over 12 years. First one was when I was pregnant so I had more hair than I usually do because of that. Thickest it ever was in my life. Second one is shortly after I stopped birth control and the 4th one is my hair down around the same time. The third one is my ponytail now. I feel it went from the second to the third ponytail quickly.

Attached Files:

#1 MiniNyla, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. MiniNyla

MiniNyla New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I also tried caboki last night hoping that it would work for the dread shed, didn’t really seem to help me at all? Just looked like I had shit stuck to my hair. I have Toppik coming so hopefully that is better. Any other pointers for hiding hairloss during the shed? I told my husband I feel like just wearing hats everyday at work (which I can’t really at work) and he was just like oh yea you should def do that! Kept pushing for it. Almost made me feel worse like he wanted me to hide it too....probably not. He is probably just trying to help. But I think I would have rather heard something along the lines of not to worry about it and I will be beautiful to him no matter what....any ideas on how to help with the shed? Thinking of getting a headband and starting to wear it. I wear a ponytail and it could help with flyaways...but if I do this every day people will notice and wonder....thinking of a really small hair topper but worried people will be able to tell...

3. Sunny Lora

Sunny Lora New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wondering how it’s going using Spironlactone and Rogaine Foam 5%? I have been on Spironlactone 50mg. Twice daily for a few months and supposed to start Rogaine but haven’t yet. Thanks!

4. anxiety43

anxiety43 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Do you mind linking your research that connects marijuana use to hairloss?

5. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I also just this year was dx'd with Alopecia Areata, FPHL.......it has devastated me. My husband says don't worry about it, that i still have a lot of hair, but the very center front and temple area has really thinned, I also have lost a lot of volume on top, sometimes my part looks ok, other times it does not, depends how I part it. Anyway it has obsessed me. I saw 3 doctors and all 3 said i am ideal candidate for transplant due to good donor area, I was hoping they would have said -- oh you don't need it. Anyway, I know what everyone is going through, I am trying everything to naturally restore the hair, but as the last doctor said 'NOTHING WILL HELP EXCEPT A TRANSPLANT'. I am very reluctant to do it, what if it gets worse.........