Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Just had a breakdown

Discussion in 'Teens and Twenties Alopecians' started by Jane, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jane

Jane New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have Androgenetic Alopecia and am 20 years old. I decided to look at the back of my hair in the mirror today and have been crying for the past hour. I don't know what to do anymore... my hair has been thinning since i was 10 or even younger and now there is barely anything left. I've been to a dermatologist and she told me to use me the pill and rogaine. I used rogaine for 2 weeks and then gave up I'm such an idiot. I'm too scared to even use them when I read all the side effects but I just don't know what to do anymore :(:(:(. I use clip in hair extensions daily but it is coming to the point where I can't even leave my hair out if I am going to a party because it is just too embarrassing. I feel so ugly and get so jealous when looking at everyones pictures on facebook. Should I start rogaine ? Should I go see another dermatologist .... Don't know what to do:sad::confused:

2. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jane,

I am sorry you're going through this. I really truly feel your pain. I am 26 and my hair loss started 2 and a half years ago. I started rogaine a year and a half ago and I have had pretty good results. I had a considerable amount of regrowth even to the point where I don't have to wear the clip in extensions anymore. I wore clip in extensions every single day before that.

I would definitely give rogaine a shot. I know I would not have this much hair if I hadn't started it in the first place. I always thought rogaine was so embarassing and thought that if I used it then it would somehow make me "manly" since it is historically known to be something old men use. But it is so easy to put on, and no one has to know that you use it. I take the labels off of the cans as soon as I get the bottle! It just looks like a bottle of mousse :)

3. Emiily

Emiily Guest

If you are uncomfortable using rogaine you could try a herbal remedy like Fusion Hair Tonic. There is a case study of Willow Cossill using these to good effect although originally she was on a combination of multivitmins and women's balance to regulate hormones.

http://www.fusionhealth.com.Alopecia Universalis/2013/09/a-unique-solution-for-healthy-hair-growth/

When I was training and dieting for a fitness model competition my hair started to fall out. I was on an old school bodybuilding diet. I was lucky that the lady at the health store was also a PT and bodybuilder. She put me onto a new diet and I was also on the women's balance. My hair started to slowly regrowth after that.

Hope that helps.

4. Jane, I just wanted to let you know I know exactly how you feel and what you're going through. I'm 20 also, my hair has been thinning since I was younger as well. It recently got bad enough to where I couldn't handle it anymore and just shaved it all off. I'm sorry you had a breakdown and I really hope you have people around you that you can talk to, and people to support you. That's the only thing that gets me through my breakdowns.

I was told by my dermatologist to try rogaine, and for some reason I couldn't bring myself to do it. I don't know why. I guess I took a more extreme approach with shaving it, but I don't regret it what so ever. I wear wigs when I go out partying and you'd be surprised how realistic they look. Please don't think there aren't other options out there, because there are. Maybe you should think about a possible topper or wig?

Not sure if you've seen her on youtube at all, but she really gave me some motivation to start trying wigs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt3TJOfkHU8

As far as getting a new dermatologist, I'd say do whatever makes you more comfortable. If you wanted a second opinion then go for it. But if you're 100% positive that you have genetic hair loss, there's really not a whole lot they can do unfortunately. I know it's hard to face, but you just have to try to work around that fact.

If you ever need anything or someone your age to talk to, you can always message me. Hope this helps. Stay strong girl, everythings gonna be alright.

5. Jane

Jane New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone for their replies !
    Since I have posted this I decided to go to another doctor.. and I did some blood tests and I found that I have a hormone imbalance which could be causing hair loss. I feel frustrated because this is the first time a doctor has tested my hormone levels or even mentioned that this could be a reason for the loss.
    Has anyone ever experienced hair loss because of this ?? If so, did your hair start to grow back when your hormones were balanced again.

My doctor also mentioned platelet rich plasma injections which can be done to help with my hair loss but i am scared to do this.. and most likely will not. Has anyone ever heard of this ?