Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Just wanted to share how my shedding finally stopped :)

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Anne, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Anne

Anne Guest

Hello Ladies,

When I joined this board a few years ago, I was coming off Diane-35. (You can do a search for "Anne's story".) I am absolutely convinced this triggered my hair loss. To this day, I will not touch birth control pills of any kind. Hormones can be a tricky thing and I still get hormonal acne as well as hair loss (right before my period), so playing around with hormones is not good for me.

Since I stopped using Diane-35 in Sept 2004, I had experienced massive shedding. Well, things did not improve over the next 2 years. I still lost of hair. The shed was most pronounced right before my period. I stopped parting my hair in the middle because the hair loss was really obvious there. The most painful part was gently towel drying my hair after showering ... all that hair I used to grab with my towel was no longer there.

After trying a multitude of things like eating more red meat (for iron), taking supplements (biotin, iron, l-cysteine), using Nioxin, etc., I gave up. I didn't know what else to do.

A typical day of hair loss was as follows: losing about 40-50 hairs in my morning shower (trust me, I counted the hairs that I stuck to the tiled wall), losing another 15-25 hairs while blow drying my hair gently without tugging at my hair, and losing more hair throughout the day as evidenced by hair on my clothes, keyboard at work, etc.

A few months ago, I decided to read the HerAlopecia discussion forums and do some general searching on the Internet. The post about blackstrap molasses really intrigued me. Two months ago, I started a brand new regiment: 1 tablespoon of brewers yeast, 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses, and 4 capsules of Nutricap which is a supplement to help promote strong nails and hair. I also started eating more bread and pasta because these are not foods that I normally eat but they do contain B vitamins. I am not one of those people who only eat protein and avoid carbs, but bread and pasta really are not part of my diet at all so I really have to make an effort to eat it.

After the first week of this regimen, I did not notice anything. But somewhere around week 2 and 3, I noticed that I was shredding a lot less hair. I thought this was to good to be true. Then, I ran out of the Nutricap supplement and got lazy about taking the brewers yeast and blackstrap molasses for about 2 weeks. I noticed that my hair was starting to fall out more than usual again. However, this was right before my period so the hair loss could have been hormone-related.

I finally decided to concentrate on taking the blackstrap molasses again and have been doing so for the past 3 weeks straight. The extent of my success is as follows: In the shower, I still lose hair but this is natural. Instead of 40-50 hairs, I only lose about 15-20 hairs maximum! The BEST part is that when I am blow drying or flat ironing my hair, I hardly lose hair. My floor is a light ceramic colour so you literally see every strand of hair. With 3 days of blowdrying, I only see something like 5-10 hairs on my floor!

At this point, I believe it's the blackstrap molasses that's helping me. I'm not sure if I mentioned in my original post but my doctor said I was borderline anemic. My ferritin level was around 25 ... however, I know that on this board, it appears that 70 is a more acceptable level. My unscientific theory is that the blackstrap molasses may be a source of iron that's better absorbed by my body.

I will update again in a few months to see if it's still successful at that time. For you ladies who are low on iron, I really hope that blackstrap molasses helps you. I bought the organic variety and used to take a small teaspoon every morning. But the taste is really bitter. However, a few weeks ago, I started dissolving it in water or tea, and oh my, it is MUCH better to swallow!

Anne

2. Banner

Banner Guest

Where do you buy the molasses? Have you ever had your ferritin tested? I'm glad to hear of your success.

3. Anne

Anne Guest

Banner, I bought the blackstrap molasses from my local health food store. I am from Montreal and we have a large health grocery store called "Tau". They sell organic molasses. (From what I've read, it seems that organic tastes better than non-organic. Not sure why, though.)

I haven't had my ferritin level checked lately, but I will eventually.

If shedding remains low for the next 6 months, I will call this treatment a true success. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

4. Hi Anne. I started to use the blackstrap molasses about a month ago and had similar results as you. I take a multivitamin and use nizoral, but I really think its the molasses that helped me. I dont see any new growth, but my hair is starting to look fuller.
    However, my hair still falls out more than average just before my period, and it is very frustrating. It seems like I have a cure for the lack of iron, but now I have to deal with my wacked out hormones. I cant stand this, its like a rollor coaster ride this month. And its probably going to be like this every month. :roll:

5. mrs_anna

mrs_anna Guest

Hi!

I am thrilled that your shedding has decreased!

However, I am quite sceptical when you say that it started working after three weeks. I took iron pills for a very long time and finally reached a ferritin level of 100. Approximately 2 months after I started taking the pills, my shedding decreased. I was sooo excited!!!

Now, the shedding has returned and it is not due to low iron levels. In fact, I think that low iron was not the main trigger for my hair loss at all (although it probably played a role as well).

Then what was the reason that my shedding decreased? Winter, I guess. It is common that we shed more in the autumn and during the summer months. In the winter the shedding decreases. For this reason it is important to be wary of praising any kind of treatment too much too soon.

I don't like giving bad news, but on the other hand, I don't want you to be disappointed if the shedding increases again.
    Hang in there - keep up taking the molasses and maybe you have really found the cause of your hair loss. You'll be absolutely certain in six months' time.

Hairloss sucks - especially because we need to be soooo patient.

Love, etc...
    Anna

6. Banner

Banner Guest

This is probably the only treatment I haven't tried so I'm tempted. My ferritin was 70+, which is where it needs to be to "grow hair"....but of course I'm not!

7. mamamia3

mamamia3 Guest

That's great that black strap molasses works for low iron hair loss and it's all natural which is even better! Do you think it'll work for hormone imbalances?! I guess that's just wishful thinking...

:)

8. Anne

Anne Guest

Dreadfullocks - Half the bottle is to decrease the amount of shedding so hang in there! Not sure what type of hair loss you are experiencing but I sincerely hope that with time, you will have a full head of hair in no time.

Mrs_Anna - Your point is well taken. :D It definitely occurred to me that the decrease in shedding may have been coincidental but in these past 3 years, I actually have not experienced it to last more than a day or two at most. That's why I got so excited (and keeping my fingers crossed) ... 3 weeks consecutively of decreased shedding is reason to give me hope. But I do understand your point about not getting too disappointed if the BM doesn't help over a longer time frame. The stress of that would cause more hair loss for me!

Banner - You have nothing to lose by trying this treatment, unless you are on a special diet for health reasons or taking medication. I've also read somewhere (can't recall if it's on this forum or elsewhere) that the copper found in BM is also nutritionally beneficial if your diet is lacking it.

9. hairsick

hairsick Guest

I am so glad that blackstrap molasses is working for some of you. I have been on iron pills on and off at least two or three times during the last two years. My iron will go up to a normal level then the doctor will tell me to stop taking it and then it will go back down. It does not make any sense. :?

I was just looking up on the net where to buy blackstrap molasses and noticed that they sell it in a tablet form. Do you think it is best to buy the actual molasses instead of tablets?

thanks

10. Anne

Anne Guest

hairsick - My gut instinct is to say that the natural form is better, but really I'm not an expert at this. I remember my pharmacist telling me to buy the pure form of cranberry juice instead of the pills for a UTI, so I assume the same would apply for molasses ...

11. warnout

warnout Guest

I agree.. for almost everything, I've read the food form is easier to absorb than suppliment form.

12. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    OK-after all this molasses news I guess I am going to break down and try some even though I was told my iron studies were normal. Supposedly my grandfather took a tablespoon a day and had a full head of hair at age 95. I would guess that taking it with a vitamin C containing food would also help with absorption. I hope it keeps working for you!

13. jazmine13

jazmine13 Guest

ladies i read up on blackstrap molasses.
    It's not only an excellent source of iron (20% RDA per table spoon) it is ALSO a good sourece of Inositol and copper and vitamin B6..all of which help with hair.
    SOooo with that I went out and bought some unsulphured black strap molasses, today is day 3 for me using it, i put it in my morning oatmeal or put in on a sandwhich with peanutbutter. it's actually not that bad at all.
    Hope this helps us all!!!!!!!!!

14. ofmontreal

ofmontreal Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    hey anne from canada
    im from montreal too! though currently in philadelphia.

where is Tau by the way? i have never heard of it.

i used to go to Optimum near McGill but they closed down.

hope all is well with you!

15. dying curls

dying curls Guest

That is a good news..
    however I dont wanna be pessimistic..but iron deficiency must only be a part of your problem...
    if you have hormonal acne..i guess it means that your shed is also dues to an hormonal imbalance that Diane 35 helped you to hide...i think that going back on the pill would help you more if you have an imbalance to start with.

Attached Files:

16. Prini

Prini Guest

Is it dangerous to take Iron pills (Slow Fe perhaps one a day) in addition to the Black Strap Molasses?

Prini

17. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    If your ferritin level is 70+, should you take molasses or iron?

18. lexus_a24

lexus_a24 Guest

I was just wondering if anyone who has been using molasses for a significant amount of time has had continued success?
    Thanks

19. julielou

julielou Guest

I'll be interested in this as well.

20. RobinL71

RobinL71 Guest

there is a bit of anecdotal evidence online of people who were able to reverse hair loss w/ unsulphered blackstrap molasses... simply google it and you'll see what I mean.
    It would make sense since research studies indicate that iron deficiency is a very common factor in pre-meno females suffering from unexplained female hair loss... and the iron in molasses is supposed to be easier tolerated/absorbed than the iron in supps.
    I tried blackstrap molasses at the beginning of my TE... but I was in a panic stricken state and didn't stay with any one "remedy" for more than a few weeks before moving onto the next thing... so I can't offer any real personal experience w/ it. But I don't think there's any harm in trying it... it is a food and not an herb or medication.
    It tastes wretched in pure form... so I would recommend that if you are going to give it a go... that you dilute/melt it in some hot water and drink it like a tea... wouldn't mix it in w/ coffee... the tannins in coffee inhibits iron absorption.