Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Kelp for hair loss?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by CurlyQ, Sep 27, 2016.

1. CurlyQ

CurlyQ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone tried kelp for hair loss? I've read that it could help. I found a few posts on this site mentioning it, but I didn't find anyone saying it actually worked.

Anyway, I just started taking kelp. If I notice any improvement, I'll be sure to give an update. :)

2. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I take Kelp for thyroid health and because I take a ton of vitamins and supplements since my TE. I'm recovering from my TE due to anemia/low ferritin and am probably stuck taking all of these supplements forever because something is working and I am terrified to trigger another TE with a change in supplements.

3. CurlyQ

Dislikes Received:
    Hi hairtothere,

You're recovering? Yay you!! Could you share with the rest of us what vitamins and supplements you're taking? Maybe your regimen might help one of us??

Thanks!!

4. hairtothere

Dislikes Received:
    Many of the supplements I take are to treat my anemia and low ferritin. So I don't recommend those because they can be very dangerous if you aren't in need of iron. Iron is a mineral you can OD on. Other than that I take:

Evening Primrose Oil
    Black Currant Oil
    Rainbow Lite Multivitamin - women's on a day
    Futurebiotics Hair Skin and Nails
    Lactoferrin
    Triple strength Fish Oil
    Vitamin D plus Vitamin K, Magnesium
    Calcium
    Bioidentical Progesterone.
    Norwegian Sea Kelp

5. CurlyQ

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks hairtothere!

I have low iron levels as well. I have never been able to raise them much while taking supplements. I even take Blackstrap molasses and use cast iron cookware to get more iron.

I don't know your hair loss story, but what kind of improvements are you noticing? Less shedding? Regrowth? How long did it take before you noticed an improvement?

I love it when someone has positive results. :)

6. hairtothere

Dislikes Received:
    The only iron supplement that has ever worked to really raise my ferritin (besides getting infusions) is Profferin. I had a massive TE shed after I was diagnosed as anemic with a ferritin of less than 5 in 10/2014 I got Venofer infusions and worked really hard to raise my ferritin levels and maintain them and it is now almost 2 years later and I am between 80-90% recovered which is almost back to normal. It took well over a year to see real change. My story is scattered about if you click on my user name.

7. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I recently started taking Iodine. Kelp is also a good source of that. My ferritin is also really low. Started at 4.

8. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mycurlyhair I take it, too. My iodine levels are super low. Sometimes taking it can cause an initial shed that should improve. I'm wondering if I'm going through that now. If you are on Facebook there are a few really good groups about iodine.

9. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sheeny- Im in the FB group! When did you start Iodine? Its been almost a month for me. My shed is about the same from when I started it.