Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Laser Hair Transplant

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by ginnydee, May 17, 2008.

1. ginnydee

ginnydee Guest

I am happy to have come across this site. I have been investigating surgical hair transplants and in doing so came across the Hair & Scalp Clinic in Clearwater FL. They use a laser to do the transplants. I sent for their information and emailed several of the references they gave. Most were from late '90's to early 2000. I was a little disappointed about that but then decided if I received an answer back, perhaps it was better that they were older references because I could be certain whether or not the procedures worked. Well, I received one reply from a gentleman. He told me that he highly recommended them but that to be aware that my hair loss might continue and that I might have to go for additional replacements. I current have early stages of male pattern baldness. I was told at the clinic that they could restore my lost hairline on the upper sides of my forehead and fill in on the top. They told me I would never have really thick hair. No surprise. Now after finding this site and hearing about shock loss, I am really nervous. Has anyone here had experience with this laser technique? I'd appreciate any information. Thanks.

2. cappy1326

cappy1326 Guest

If you are considering going to someone in Clearwater, Florida...I would recommend you go to Tampa and see Dr. Paul Rose. He is a world reknowed transplant doctor. My neighbor is a physician's assistant in the ER in Orlando and a surgical transplant nurse who came in for stitches after cutting her finger. She was in Orlando for a medical conference and told my neighbor Dr. Rose is one of the BEST and Florida actually has many good transplant surgeons.

If you are considering a transplant I would highly recommend you see him.

3. ttc

ttc Guest

I have never heard any great success stories about women getting transplants. They seem to work much better for men.

4. cappy1326

cappy1326 Guest

TTC...I have heard the same thing, but some women do well depending on the type of hair loss they have. Since she's in Clearwater...I would certainly suggest Dr. Rose if she's considering the procedure.

5. ttc

ttc Guest

It's always good to get a referral from someone who knows the Dr, I think there's no harm in going in for a consultation to feel the guy out.

6. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

TTC and others, please can you expand on why transplants tend not to be successful on women? It's something my derm said if things didnt work for me, which they havent.

Thanks! x

7. ttc

ttc Guest

Sadie~There are plenty of Dr.'s willing to do hair transplants on women, but the majority of the good ones admit they are not nearly as successful as those done on men. I'm sorry I don't have specific references for you at this point...but I'm sure if you do a little research on the internet you'll easily find alot on this subject. Dr. Redmond touched on it in his book "The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman", I know that. It's simply something that came up many times when I was looking into it so I let it go as far as being an option for me. If you have Androgenetic Alopecia it's likely any transplanted hair will simply fall back out again.

8. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Thanks TTC. Logically it makes since that for Androgenetic Alopecia women the hair that is transplanted will thin/miniturise/shed (whatever you wanna call it). I've never heard of transplants for women to be honest, just for men...perhaps it's all secret for women!

9. The reason why women are not always good candidates for hair transplant…. Is b/c women often are diffuse thinners…. We lose hair from everywhere. Whether men tend to lose hair at the top but there have good strong downer hair at the back that can easily be used to transplant to the front… women’s thinning patterns make it harder to find good stronger downer hair…. At least this is what a hair transplant surgen told me when I was thinking about getting a transplant.

10. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have also heard that hair transplants don't work as well on women as men & that usually you need to do them more than once. It can be a very expensive process.

Hugs, Joann

11. ginnydee

ginnydee Guest

The Dr. who practices at the Hair & Scalp Clinic is Dr. Michael Markou. The person that handles the business end of it is John Satino. Dr. Markou has been practicing hair transplants since 1994 and John Satino has been involved with lasers for many years. I received good referrals so I pray I am doing the right thing. I'm going on June 25.

I was concerned that I would not be a good candidate because the information they sent said that most women are NOT good candidates. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have male pattern baldness where my hair is thinning on top and sides of top. They feel they will be able to harvest enough hair from the back of my head to fill in. I am very nervous but every time I wash my hair and see that drain filled with hair, I think I'm making the right decision.

12. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

if you are activley shedding I would not reccommend a hair transplant. You could be shedding from the back too, and not knowing it. Also, even thought the back looks pretty good now, if its shedding it means its being effected by Androgenetic Alopecia as well as the top. Please be cautious when making this decision. I have done so much research as well as you. I went for a consult and they told me I was a good candidate. I was not actively shedding and my loss was only visable on top. WELL, fast forward a year and I am thinning ALL OVER and shedding. If I would have had the transplants they would have fallen out too.....

OH and have them do a "Miniaturization mapping" on the area of your head they want to harvest from. If there is no minaturization, you are more safe.

13. ginnydee

ginnydee Guest

Thanks for your feedback. They did check hair from the front, crown and lower back of my head. They showed me how the front hair was in very bad shape and the one on the back of the crown was beginning to go but the one behind the back of my head was very healthy. That was why they said they could harvest from the back. I'm not sure if that is what you mean by mapping.

14. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

mapping is done my a microscope thingy and connected to a monitor so you can see it... and it shows the various diameters/thickness of each hair strand. the more thin hairs you have the more miniaturization going on...maybe they did do that...if so, then good!! :)

15. treleno

treleno Guest

To those considering a transplant, I would say Run, don't walk! I've had two and each one left me worse off than where I started. The first one was about 8 years ago and I only had 400 grafts added. After the shock loss, I was left practically bald on top. Even after the one year mark when the shock loss had grown back, I didn't see any addition of the new hair. For some crazy reason, I went to a different doctor 3 years ago and he said the reason the last one didnt' work was because 400 grafts isn't nearly enough and that he would start with 1200 grafts, though he did say I would probably need another one down the road. I asked if the 1200 would allow me to be able to stop using Toppik and he said yes. I wish I wasn't so gullible because either he lied, or doesn't know what he's talking about (and he's supposed to be a very reputable hair transplant guy in NY). Anyway, shock loss this time was so severe. I will try to find the "after" pix because it will frighten you, I'm sure. Again, after the supposed growth period, I was still left worse off than where I started. I would give anything to have those thousands and thousands of dollars back now! I'm now wearing a bonded topper and wish I did this 8 years ago. I' havent' heard any success stories of hair transplant's with women but for some stupid reason I went ahead with it twice thinking I would somehow be the success. Please don't make the same mistake!
    Terry

16. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

We would love to see before Hair loss, before your hair transplant, and after hair transplant pics so women dont run to get transplants..

17. ginnydee

ginnydee Guest

Somewhere on this site there was a link to Hair Transplant Network and I looked up the doctor at the Hair & Scalp clinic in Clearwater. Nothing but disasterous reviews. I am currently trying to set up an appointment with Dr. Rose in Tampa. Just sent him some photos. If I get the appointment and he decides I am a candidate, I will send before and after photos. I'm just taking it one step at a time. I am so grateful to have found this site. Thanks.

18. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would be interested to follow what you decide. I saw a guy for a consult last August. It cost $80 for 5 minutes where he just looked at my hair briefly, asked what I was using to cover the thinness so well, and not to do anything at this point as my hair was hanging on for dear life. I wasn't ever going to consider using him- just wanted to see if I was a good candidate, which he said I would be as my thinning is all on top. He said I would need two procedures. I just haven't heard that many success stories out there for women.

19. treleno

treleno Guest

Ok, I'm posting my Before transplant pix so you can see my hair loss and the after transplant pix, which is 2 weeks later. The shock loss was so bad afterward I could hardly cover it with Toppik. Both doctors I went to said I was a good candidate. Neither transplant "took" and I ended up with less hair each time than beforehand.

[attachment=0:3h0ykyb0]Hair FrontTop.jpg[/attachment:3h0ykyb0]

[attachment=1:3h0ykyb0]feb15-2.JPG[/attachment:3h0ykyb0]

I would seriously caution you in going down the transplant path. It rarely works for women and will be probably leave you looking worse off as it did with me, BOTH times. I've been using tons of Toppik since then (which was 2 1/2 yrs ago) and tons of hairspray, along with the lovely comb-over which is so appealing. I finally got so tired of having that Toppik mess and a helmet-hard head from hairspray, that I went with a bonded topper about 5 weeks ago. Although I'm still getting used to it, I like it and wish I did it sooner -- AND wish I saved all that money and distress from the transplants!
    Terry

Attached Files:

20. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    OMG! I can't imagine going out in public afterwards without something major on my head. I would have cried non-stop! I guess I will wait on the stem cell procedure.... Glad the bonded piece is working out for you.