Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Laser?

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by kaylee, May 12, 2009.

1. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Anyone do laser hair removal? If so, how are you liking the results? Does the hair never come back?
    Im thinking of doing it on the sides of my face. Vaniqa has pretty much taken care of it, but I would LOVE it to be perfectly smooth and was wondering if laser has this result?

2. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

if its not visible to the world (meaning dark brown) then you're wasting your time.

3. kimm

kimm Guest

kaylee - Does Vaniqua work on coarse hairs?

Tweezing is just killing my poor skin!

How long did it take to know if it was working?

I'm considering getting into a derm soon for my skin, (not hair)
    and would ask about getting a script then

I don't understand why this stuff isn't OTC.

I mean, really! It's bad enough that we need it, but to have to go through a doctor for it is such a pain!

4. kaylee

kaylee Guest

You can still sort of see it in the sun light. And I still have to pluck every other day which is annoying. I also still freak if a guy tries to touch my face! :crazy:

5. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Hey kim! Yes it does work on course hairs! It makes them lighter, thinner and they grow back slower. It took about 3 wks for me to see a slight diff and then after about 2 months the hair was so much easier to get rid of and now I dont have a rash on my face from plucking so much!
    I know its a pain to have to get an RX for it, but its worth it. I got mine through drugstore.com All you have to do is put in a perscription request and they contact your Dr. for you and get the approval!

6. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

how much does it cost? maybe i should do vaniqua while i see what happens with the flutamide.

I went in to get my face lasered EXACTLY a year ago (i know cuz it's my bday week this week) and they laughed at me and said that they didn't even see any hair (except my sideburns) and that since my hair wasn't dark enough for them to see, i wasn't a good candidate. I am a good candidate now though... go figure. what a difference a year makes!

7. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Its $65 a tube but I pay $45 it just depends on the pharmacy. Oh god I hope they wont laugh at me, cuz this hair is DEF there! And before vaniqa, my mom and sister would notice it even after hours of plucking! Thats why I wanna do laser so the hair will be gone for GOOD!

8. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Oh yeah and the tube i had lasted me a year! So its totally worth the money! :)

9. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

they didn't laugh in a mean way... they were just like "uhm you don't fit the description of the person on the phone. She said she had a beard!" then they said i would be wasting my money. Now I understand, since what i THOUGHT was a huge deal back then is NOTHING compared to the amount, texture and color of facial/body hair i have now.

Even if you have a ton of hair, it has to be dark for the laser to work. Also, laser doesn't work on everyone. At American Laser it is about $3000 for the full face (less depending on their specials). That means from your forehead to neck (not your eyebrows). There are 6 sessions included in that as well as 2 years of follow up visits (as needed). What ever you do, DON'T tell them you have PCOS or they won't honor their "guarantee" or even the 2 year follow up.

My sister got her lip done. She is happy, though she said there is still hair there. Her hair is very dark though.

10. kaylee

kaylee Guest

It is DARK and course like mans hair..There is just not as muchh of it. And I dont have it on my upper lip for some reason? Just the sides of my face an underneath my neck is the worse. If I didnt pluck or using anything on it, it would be very very OBVIOUS :(
    Im thinking laser would def help but I am in no rush...

11. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

oh. well then it sounds like it would work.

Another thing is, you aren't allowed to pluck during your treatment (or for a while before) and i'm not sure if vaniqua is allowed to be used during. You aren't supposed to put stuff on your face I don't think.

oh yeah... is it getting worse on a regular basis? Because if your hormones are not under control. New hairs will form in new follicles and you will have to keep going back. I hear a lot of the girls on the pcos boards saying they have to go back after a year or 2 (sometimes shorter).

I can't afford laser since I have to student teach and will have no money coming in for 6 months, but it is something i want to look in to once i start teaching. It's pretty crappy to have hair loss and facial/body hair. :(

12. alicat

alicat Guest

I have had it done.

Last year I had my upper lip, neck and chine done. I am apparently a good candidate because I have fair skin and dark hair. Anyhow, the laser was AMAZING! I had horrible/manly/dark/all over facial hair :(

Up until a few months ago I was completely smooth. I went for a touch-up appointment a few weeks ago, and I am smooth again! Laser isn't permanent, but it definitely reduces the amount of hair one has. On someone like me, they say 80% reduction is what they expect. I have more of a reduction than that at this point. It could grow back in one day, but for now, I'm happy with the results. Beats razors and tweezers.

Oh yeah...and just so you know, laser hair removal can make your hair lighter and not necessarily remove it. I have noticed some light coloured hair. But anyway--- :)

13. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

how many sessions did you do, over how long of a period and how much did it cost?

14. kaylee

kaylee Guest

The not being able to pluck or use Vaniqa before will Def SUCK! But the hair isnt getting worse (drugs or not) The hair started coming on In my early 20's (im now 30) and its been the same ever since. So I dont know what to think? I cant afford it right now either because of school but I just wanted some opinions...

15. alicat

alicat Guest

i had 7 sessions done. i started in october of 2007 and ended in summer of 2008.

it cost me $700 for all 3 areas. i signed up when there was a promotion going on, so i got a huge discount.

now that i am already a client, i get any follow-up treatments at a discount. to get my chin/neck done a few weeks ago, i only paid $40!

laser has been worth it for me. my hair growth was crazy out of control :( my body hates me i think!

16. edelweiss

edelweiss Guest

Hi, Kaylee -

I've gone for a few sessions of laser hair removal. I have fair skin and blonde hair (on my head). But the "problem" hairs that I wanted to remove are dark and course, on my neck and chin. Even after a couple of sessions, I noticed a big improvement.

I also had the fine hairs on my upper lip lasered twice. After the first session, they came back the same. However, after the second session (early January), they have not returned....so YAY....upper lip hair gone :)

My RN aesthetician used two different lasers for the different areas. She is at Flash Laser in Encino.....you can check out a description of their lasers on their website

I should really go back for three to four more sessions for my neck and chin, to get all of the problem "whiskers" that pop out over the course of a week. However, I know this is CRAZY.....I somehow wonder if there is a link to my getting laser and the beginning of my hair loss. The follicles are no where near each other....but wondering if the laser caused a "systemic" shock. Derms I've consulted about this say there is no correlation......and that appears obvious. At any rate, I'm not going to have more laser until I get my hair loss under control.

Good luck!

17. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

how many sessions did you have during that time frame? I guess i'm asking how much it was per session. $40 for follow ups in each area or follow up for the whole thing?

How long before you saw results?

ohh and what kind of laser was it? I hear that is VERY important.

18. alicat

alicat Guest

I had 7 sessions done in that time frame.

I saw results after the 2nd session. Of course I could only see the results once the inflammation subsided and the dead hair fell out.

My touch-up session a few weeks ago was $40 for the neck/chin area. I didn't get my upper lip done. I can pluck those hairs if I get any.

So, I had 7 sessions of upper lip, neck and chin done for $700. 3 areas for $700 is pretty cheap around here. Most people seem to get "package deals" rather than paying by the session.

I am not sure what laser is the best. I went to Epiderma (a big laser hair removal company here in Ontario) and of course they think they are the best.

http://en.epiderma.ca/iiix/home/

ps==without a discount, one session for chin/neck area cost around $90.

19. Eztli

Eztli Guest

I've had it done. Many, many, many times.

It works best on areas of courser hair. Especially down there. Always go to a place with a several year guaranntee. MAKE SURE your hormones are under control before starting this treatment or it will be a huge waste of money.

If your hair is caused by excess hormones, expect to need more treatments than someone who does not have hormonal induced hair growth. For example, I had 12 treatments on my upper lip and I still get it touched up once a year.
    Dont get me wrong, the pain (even though you might not think so at the time) is worth it. But you may need more treatments than other people.

I always saw great results in the first year, but it did come back after a couple years unless you keep going.

SOME lasers I have tried (there were many others whose names I dont remember):
    IPL - completely and totally useless DO NOT BOTHER.
    Gentle yag - good results, no complaints.
    Aurora light sheer - this laser supposedly also treats lighter hair (with more treatments) I don't have lighter so I can't vouch for it in that area. but it seems to do the same as any other)

20. skits

skits Guest

There are lots of different types of laser. I have dark skin and dark hair and laser has worked for me. You usually need between 6-12 sessions (usually one every 4 weeks). The hair growth does slow down and get less and hair gets thinner but it doesn't all go away!!