Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Let’s Compare Labs! Tsh, Ferritin, Estrogen, Etc.

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by KayJane, Jun 18, 2018.

1. KayJane

KayJane New Member

Dislikes Received:
    hey ladies so I all my labs came back normal but I just wanted to share my labs because I thought if someone had labs similar to mine maybe we could chat more, find a common denominator, and get rid of the hair loss. I have talked to my normal physician, my gyno, and a dermatologist but nothing has helped.
    B12-444
    Vitamin d-45.6
    Ferritin-96 ug/L(up from 29 in October after taking iron supplements!)
    TSH-1.22 mIU/L(down from 2.8 in October which is weird because I have never been diagnosed with a thyroid problem and I’m not on any medication)
    Estradiol-68 pg/mL
    Iron-105 ug/dL
    TIBC-287 ug/dL
    FSH 3.6 IU/L
    LH-2.2 IU/L
    DHEAS-209 ug/dL
    Free testosterone-.8
    17-hydroxyprogesterone-68
    Do you guys have any suggestions where I should go from here? Oh they also tested reverse t3 but I forget the results. It was in the normal range....

#1 KayJane, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  2. valentinab00

valentinab00 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    The ranges and units would probably be helpful to know. Also when you draw your labs, i.e. what time of your period.

3. KayJane

KayJane New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Good point! It was tested in the afternoon around 2pm and I was in the luteal phase but my period is irregular (I don’t have PCOS I already spoke to my gyno about that.) I am out right now but I will update my post later with units

4. Peachtree

Peachtree New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, so here’s my story:

I am 41 years old. I started losing my hair when I was 23- like a light-switch-one day it just started falling out. I had all lab tests done, 2 scalp biopsies. Everything normal- no diagnosis ever made. At age 25, I started taking spironolactone. After about 3 months, my hair loss stopped completely. My hair was the best it has ever been. For 2 years I had long, gorgeous, thick hair. Then one day, like a light switch, it started falling out again. As far as I know, I had changed nothing. So, I’m not sure if I was the spironolactone that was working or something else?? Then at age 30, when my hair was very sparse after at least 2 yrs of massive hair loss, I got pregnant. The hair loss stopped immediately, and grew back beautifully. Then 3 months after delivery, fell out in wads again. I became pregnant 2 yrs later, and the same thing happened- hair loss immediately stopped and again, I had great hair. 3 months postpartum, everything fell out again. I started wearing hair toppers 3 yrs ago, and now my hair is so extremely dry, frizzy and almost competely bald. I will be wearing full wigs within a year. I have never missed a period, except when pregnant. Testosterone is low. Dhea low. Ferritin low- at one point only 3. I have taken iron supplements religiously every day for 4 yrs. Recent labs ferritin was 27. I have asked to have iron infusion to see if this is reason- dr. Will not refer me to hematology. TSH was 2.8, which appears to be normal. Dr. Not concerned about anything. No doctor cares about hair loss. I am 5’6” and 130lb, healthy in all other ways. No reason for this hair loss. My dad even has a full head of hair at 70 yrs old. I have seen rheumatology to r/o autoimmine issues/lupus- everything normal. I am so sad all the time. Yes, at least i am not physically sick, but having to wear fake hair every day is emotionally traumatizing. Anyone have a similar situation??

Farrah711 likes this.
  5. valentinab00

Dislikes Received:
    Might want to post this on Tell Your Story: https://www.heralopecia.com/interact/forums/tell-your-story.47/

It’s obvious that your hair loss is hormonal and perhaps a result of hormonal imbalance, as when you become pregnant your hair improves since the body is regulating itself for pregnancy. I would seek out an integrative doctor who can look at your hormones comprehensively and do your own research. You’ll want to check ALL reproductive hormones, full thyroid, etc. I think iron level is important but not necessarily the solution especially as you indicated you’ve had low iron even during the time you were pregnant. Do take iron with vit c for better absorption. I like iron bisglycinate and buffered vit c. If you can find an anti aging doctor or a doctor outside the insurance model, many of them offer infusions.

Farrah711 likes this.
  6. KayJane

KayJane New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Okay I added units for most of the labs. Thanks for your help you seem really knowledgable!

7. KayJane

KayJane New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain Peachtree! I'm 26 and my hair loss is so bad that I am going on Monday to get a wig. Its telogen effluvium so its diffuse but its so bad that there is no way to style my hair that doesn't look awful and it's taken a massive toll on my self confidence. I feel embarrassed just leaving the house sometimes so I am excited to get a wig even though I was really hoping things would resolve because I want to rock my natural hair.

I agree that it sounds like your issue could be related to hormones and you should definitely get that checked if you haven't already. I was kind of annoyed my dorm only tested estrogen because after I read up on everything it seems like its the estrogen-progesterone ratio that is super important and she didn't test progesterone.

Anyways I had an eating disorder in college and lost tons of hair but then I gained to a healthy weight and my hair came back (granted it wasn't as thick as before the eating disorder but it looked pretty good even though it wasn't super thick). Then I noticed about two years ago my hair was shedding more than normal but I didn't think much of it until the shed became extreme last October.

Remember you have two little nuggets at home who love you and would love you even if you are bald. I know its hard and I have shed so many tears over this issue as well but really are so much more than our hair. I hope you are able to get more testing and find a solution.

Farrah711 likes this.
  8. valentinab00

Dislikes Received:
    Still no ranges and not all your labs have units. I’m not as familiar with 17-OHP.

Your TSH looks good, better than when it was 2 though tsh can fluctuate. A full panel would be best.

At a glance though I don’t see anything striking.

Have you had a biopsy?

9. Peachtree

Peachtree New Member

Dislikes Received:
    How did you find out your hair loss was tellogen effluvium?

I have had 2 saliva hormone tests in the last 5 yrs. My FSH was high in both, which dr. thought I was seemingly in menopause, however i have never missed a period. And I have never had any other symptoms other than very low libido. I used bioidentical progesterone and testosterone creams for over a year and 1/2 bcz both were low. I had absolutely no change in anything after taking those, so I stopped.
    I feel my hair loss is hormone- related also, but what has anyone done that as worked?? Anyone have any success?

Farrah711 likes this.