Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Long Term use of Topical and Oral Minoxidil

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hairlosshelp, Jul 14, 2015.

1. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying to find out more about the side effects of long term use of this treatment. From what I've read it speeds up aging but a lot of info I get from hair loss sites that tend to exaggerate the effects (ex: saying they you will age 10 years in 1 year). I've seen posts about hair loss dating as far back as 2004 and wish there was a way to know how those people are keeping up their regimen while minimizing side effects. I'm pretty desperate to save my hair but I also want to know all the consequences that come with messing with my hormones. Based on my parents (and my sister) it just seems like the last thing I would have to worry about is hair loss and aging since my parents are in their mid-50s, dad has been smoking for nearly 40 years and both drink quite a lot but pass for late 30s to early 40s with no signs of wrinkles and my grandmother only got wrinkles in her 70s. I thought natural selection was supposed to favour genes like that!

2. Emylou55

Emylou55 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'd love some answers too. I'm seriously considering not taking any treatments.

3. marykitty47

marykitty47 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi both like yourselves ive researched Minoxidil and have decided against it. Although some people do not suffer side effects, a friend of mine started using it when she was 25. She is 30 now and has aged considerably gets headaches, a massive increase in body hair-face,neck,legs,arms etc. She is now paying the price and is looking into laser. She is thinking about stopping the use of Minoxidil but knows this will cause her hair to fall out.
    I'm using sipro & bioxsine(herbal spray) and although my hair is only thin on crown area I have regrowth although scarce it is there. I have decided of needs be I will get a crown volumizer/topper in the hope it will pick up. My hair still falls out when I wash it 10-15 hairs and a few throughout the day.The side effects of
    Minoxidil would be too hard for me to handle - dred shed etc. What if it doesn't work?!! It doesn't work for everyone.

Where is your hair loss? Crown or frontal?

4. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    ^MaryKitty, I would be curious to see pictures of your friend. From 25 to 30, some signs of aging are going to occur, much of it being genetic of course. Each individual case is so different. I think that overall research says Rogaine has been proven to be very affective and most, as long as they don't overdose are just fine.

It's your decision of course, only you can decide what is best for YOU. :)

5. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    My hair loss is frontal and at the crown...I've been removing hair from my body and face since I was 12-13 years old and it has never had an effect on my life...I don't even leave the house anymore with hair loss and I've been in a deep depression. So extra body/face hair is hardly an issue to me. I'm worried about aging prematurely though because both my parents are in their mid-50s and constantly get mistaken for 40 or younger. My grandma only started getting wrinkles in her 70s. Based on their hair and skin I should have gotten good genes, idk what the hell happened and I'm worried that minoxidil might end up screwing another thing that should have worked to my benefit.

6. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I understand your concern. Sometimes I think the lines on my face are because of Rogaine, but then... I am going to be 28 so it is bound to start happening. It is easy to tell the difference between when your 18, 25, and 30. At least I think so... It is a tough call, I know. If you have good genes, I would go for it if I were you. Good genes will work to your favor. There are risks with everything of course, but I guess you have to determine if the good outweighs the bad...<3 Good luck.

7. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know about good genes, haha, I'm praying that I do have them to protect me against early aging even with minoxidil. My sister is 26 and gets carded everytime she goes out (drinking age here is 19). And my dad is a chronic smoker since 15 years old. Nearly 40 years of smoking everyday and no premature aging at all. Guys younger than him look older.

I think minoxidil does increase aging because it inhibits collagen production but it's hard to tell with testimonials since I've never seen pics and I think people see natural aging and immediately think it's minoxidil.

- - - Updated - - -

And even though I didn't know about the minoxidil/aging thing until now, it's good to know so I can make sure that I take extra care of my skin.

8. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've said this before but here's my theory;

Lots of people experience hair loss during periods of ill health or stress - both vary ageing.

Lots of women experience hair loss heading into menopause - again, not a great time for skin.

Lost of women experience hair loss postpartum - I swear i aged 10yrs in a day during those early days.

Then, when you have hair loss you start staring into the mirror and obsessing about your looks so you notice natural ageing much more than you would have if you were having a normal relationship with your mirror.

9 months on minoxidil, age 41 - 42, and there has been no noticible speed up in my skin ageing so far and people tend to guess my age a good few years younger than I am. Maybe good genes although my dad is very heavily wrinkled and I enjoy the same outdoor lifestyle he has.

I was getting some puffy eye bags developing but stopped drinking wine for 3 weeks and they completely disappeared. I was drinking more than usual with the stress of hair loss and that needed to stop - that alone has taken a couple of years off - seriously!

I did get an increase in facial hair, but being blonde, it isn't a major issue for me. A few mins with the tweezers every now and again and it's done. I'd rather remove any amount of hair from my face and body than be semi bald again!

It it all comes down to assessing the risk v benefits. If you see my early photos you'll know why I would have risked anything to get some hair back. Had I just had a 'normal' Androgenetic Alopecia widening part I may well have stopped to consider the risks more.

having said all this there are some things you can do to minimise the risk if you're concerned. I apply minoxidil in the evening so cover my head with a wide fabric headband to sleep. I also use a sleep mask to protect my eye area from any pillow transfer. When the hair was all but gone I upped my skin routine since there was nowhere left to hide if I went bald! Maybe this is why I haven't had any issues.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents worth.....

NoodleHead likes this.
  9. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your reply, Nerak! I think minoxidil interferes with collagen breakdown, so it's a possible side effect but it's good to know it's not guaranteed! And I completely agree about the risks vs. benefits. I already kinda dealt with dark circles (but not super dark) when I was in undergrad. Stress did that and it went away after I graduated. Now with this hair loss issue it's started to come back recently, so this could also exacerbate it for the people who are suffering from hair loss. But it's probably also a huge luck/"genetic" factor because smoking is supposed to cause premature aging by damaging collagen and elastin, but my dad has been smoking for nearly 40 years excessively and can easily pass for 10+ years younger. He also drinks while I'm a social drinker and can count on 1 hand how many times I smoked a cigarette (though probably 1 finger lol).

I'm glad that I'm aware enough to at least monitor my skin and take extra care of it. That's why I'm trying to find out as much info as possible and how to counter certain effects so that once I get on these treatments I won't have to quit them.