Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Looking For Advice (photo Attached)

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by AnxiousAnnie, Oct 6, 2018.

1. AnxiousAnnie

AnxiousAnnie New Member

Dislikes Received:
    C19D740D-7AA9-4AEF-8B1F-5C07319F071E.jpeg
    I have always had very fine, thin hair, and I’ve noticed it thinning a bit over the past year or so (I’m 38). My hair is naturally curly so the curls have helped me disguise it a bit. But over the past couple of months I’ve been losing hair by the truckload and my scalp is visible in lots of places. The curls accentuate the problem now as they clump what hair I do have together.

The worst spot is at the front of my scalp, just behind the hairline. I’ve attached a photo with my hair wet to show how thin it is.

I’m awaiting the results of blood tests to check my iron level, but in the meantime I’ve been frantically googling (I know that’s unhelpful) and am wondering if it fits the pattern of Androgenic Alopecia rather than telogen effluvium, which is what my GP seems to think it is. I would be so grateful for anyone’s advice!

#1 AnxiousAnnie, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  2. Sunshine85

Sunshine85 Member

Dislikes Received:

First I just want to say sorry you are going through this! This hair loss stuff is no joke and really plays with our emotions.

To me, it does like like Androgenetic Alopecia, because of the front. If you part to he side are you able to cover it a bit?

Sorry this isn’t probably wjaylu want to hear.

3. AnxiousAnnie

AnxiousAnnie New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Sunshine85. It’s not what I wanted to hear, but equally that’s what I’ve been increasingly wondering. My hair is notmally parted at the side (I switched it for the photo) so it is less visible, but I have lost so much hair now that it’s getting difficult to conceal. I’m worried about losing more and then being unable to hide it.

I should get my blood test results back next week. If that all comes back fine then I guess I will have to find a dermatologist. You’re so right about the psychological impact - it’s just hammered my self confidence. And it’s all so sudden; in June it was fine(well, thin but the front part was fine) and now it’s like this.

4. AnxiousAnnie

AnxiousAnnie New Member

Dislikes Received:
    142982D4-3BE1-45B7-B0CF-4EE2D3D8C430.jpeg
    I should add that I’ve lost quite a bit at the sides (I’ve always had widows peaks but they’ve got much worse) so there’s not much hair left to sweep across.

#4 AnxiousAnnie, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  5. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    Annie.
    My sides look similar to yours. My top is more loss right at my hairline and diffuse. I think mine was CTE and is now partially Androgenetic Alopecia also. I can't seem to find a dermatologist who is very helpful though. I have another appointment in a couple weeks with my primary doctor to recheck vitamin levels and ferritin as a last ditch effort. My ferritin started at 17, so pretty low. It is taking forever to go up. It took 9 months to raise it by 20 points. I think I will add extra vitamin D in also since I live in the midwest, I just read that it can be helpful to regrow hair when it is a little higher.
    Sorry you are going through this. It is such a struggle. Especially at our younger ages :(

6. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:

7. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Annie, are you getting exposed to cleaners,spray like Windex ECT.? Or are you stressed.I don't need a doctor to tell me it's stress,at least for me.Medical marijuana has helped my nerves and hair is growing back... something to look into ...you are not alone in this.We are all here to help and we all understand what you are going through.I try to be happy...this situation has taught me to just be happy ,being miserable just makes it worse.Take care show the world your beautiful smile and forgive the shallow society we love in.

Jtilly likes this.
  8. AnxiousAnnie

AnxiousAnnie New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Tula and Gina. The support and empathy means a lot - it feels a very isolating condition doesn’t it, but it’s only when you read into it that you realise how many women (and younger women) it affects. I’m sorry that you are having to cope with it too and finding healthcare professionals not as supportive as they could be.

I know I need to wait for my blood work to come back, but I am wondering if stress could have played a part (I’m quite an anxious person and have had a stressful year by my standards). I also lost some weight quite quickly in May/June - only 10lbs but perhaps that was enough to trigger it. I suppose I’m just speculating and hoping it’s TE and not Androgenetic Alopecia.

9. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Annie,there is a very interesting story you can read about ,Mojo the hero police dog that worked the Manchester bombing last September,right after the incident he lost his hair,only with rest ,time off and extra protein did it grow back.... interesting story...if I had the extra money ide go to the pound right now and get the bald ,ugly dog no one wants !!! lol