Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Looking For Custom Wig Maker In Los Angeles, Ca

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by GingieGirl57, Apr 7, 2018.

1. GingieGirl57

GingieGirl57 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I need a new source for top quality hair pieces in Southern, California.
    Any suggestions? I have been wearing custom made toppers, VEHH, for 5 years, and not so thrilled with the recent quality of pieces from the establishment that I was purchasing from.

Anyone heard of Linda Leigh, owner wig maker- Hair In Vogue, in Los Angeles? Reviews?
    I consulted with her and she was highly knowledgeable, is a wig wearer herself due to alopecia. She has gorgeous Russian hair which blends with my fine, thin hair. I just can't seem to find many reviews on her. The ones that I did find are all good. I also like the fact that she can do the ventilation when the top thins out. Most places do not service what they sell nor do they explain the fact that over time your hand tied pieces do lose hair and you can have more tied in and then you are good to go.

Unfortunately, Flora closed down in LA. Not having salon services (not cutting/coloring/styling wigs/toppers may have been an issue.) Too bad, she and her son we were nice to me on the phone.

I just bought a Jolie Cameleon as a piece to wear at home and what absolute garbage this unit is!! It immediately shed 50% of its hair. It is very over processed, too. $2100.00 loss!
    Avoid that company-their customer service is horrific and they misrepresent their product. Wig places in L A won't carry their wigs/toppers for that reason.
    *A few wig makers recommended Jon Renau for an affordable ready to wear alternative...

Thank you!!

2. thinfinehair

thinfinehair Member

Dislikes Received:
    I share your pain. I live in Orange County and have been struggling to find a place for quality hairpieces. I buy the illusion fall from Flora by mail, and she cut it for me the few times I bought from her, but it is very nerve racking not to be present when she cuts it. I also have no place for maintenance and I hate that fact. I've never heard about Linda Leigh. I will google her.
    I had a meeting at the Follea saloon in Beverly Hills. Their hair is gorgeous, but their topper was too thin for me. I am looking for hair with some waves or volume. It might work for you though.

3. GingieGirl57

GingieGirl57 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Finethinhair:
    When I met with Linda, she had pony tails of wavy Russian hair and she said that she could mix it with another hair (Euro) to create body/ fullness, yet maintaining the proper denier to blend with my hair. I will probably go ahead and have her make my topper. I did have her make a mold of my head. Her price is less if it is made overseas and higher if she makes it. I will have it made overseas and she sends all of the supplies to the ventilator. Any future repairs would be done by her and her repair prices seemed to be very fair.
    I must add that her prices are a little bit lower than Flora for a 100% hand tied mono top piece.

I wanted to go with Flora's Illusion Fall, but the thought of spending over $3,400.00 and not having it on my head to have bangs & layers cut just gave me too much anxiety and I changed my mind.

Los Angeles has an abundance of wig makers, but trying to get reviews on them is not an easy task. Many make wigs/pieces for the entertainment industry. *Linda did make wigs for the TV show Mad Men-she can prove it. Some claim to have celeb clients, however they are not being truthful. Others will have portfolios as evidence. Whomever buys their hair is not important to me, I just don't want to be lied to as a vehicle to gain my cash.

Bottom line, like everyone here, I just want a lovely looking piece that will go the distance!
    And...I have sure learned a lot about the hair industry. A very, corrupt and deceitful industry...

thinfinehair likes this.
  4. thinfinehair

thinfinehair Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your informed response. I would love to stay in touch and have someone local to collaborate (or commiserate!) with. I will send you a private message with my personal information. I hope we can connect!

5. anitakure

anitakure New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried Hair Direct? The company is mail order the best solution I have found and I have been with them for many years. Very good customer service. Though they are located in Pennsylvania you can Skype or Face time if needed to get exactly what you're looking for. As far as cutting the hair I was lucky to have found a hair stylist locally that has taken training in cutting wigs and he does a beautiful job.

6. GingieGirl57

GingieGirl57 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your response, Anitakure. Mail order frightens me!!!

7. jesswade

jesswade New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Have you looked at Follea wigs? If you haven't go to the Facebook page - The Women's Hair Loss Project - the woman who runs that makes me want to wear wigs instead of my topper, haha. But they are based out in LA - and I'm in the DC area. I've met with reps in Baltimore but the wigs are a little too much for me.

8. Christine H

Christine H New Member

Dislikes Received:
    So, having read this thread, and worked with every piece mentioned, (over 30 years in replacement) I would NOT recommend Hair Direct for a quality piece, Follea is very expensive, but there is a new line being introduced by Wilshire Wigs. It is called Enchanted Wigs, and their focus is on giving the best quality at pricing that is about 1/3 the price of a Follea.
    I have used the same company for quite a few of my clients, and have been very impressed with the quality. I am located in Central California, and work through a woman that has helped this company introduce their product in the American market. I have no idea if Wilshire is actively selling enchanted wigs yet, but I am sure they can order custom for you.

9. GingieGirl57

GingieGirl57 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you everyone. I found a wig maker in Los Angeles and will have a new topper at the end of June. I sure hope that I am pleased.

10. Dan

Dan New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to self-promote, but we're a new alternative. You can see our Refinery29 feature:

If you would like more info, you can check out our website: https://remyny.com or email us at info@remyny.com.

11. MadelineHS

MadelineHS New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, How is your new topper? Can you share the details, maybe post a pic? I live in CA as well, and will need to invest in a new topper in the next year, so am especially interested!
    Thanks!

12. azie16

azie16 New Member

Dislikes Received:

13. azie16

azie16 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Have you heard of the wig fairy located in Beverly Hills California? The owner Mona is incredible and she does a lot of custom work.

14. OliveS

OliveS New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, they're quite expensive. How often do you have to change them?