Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Looking For Help, Feeling Depressed And Don't Know What To Do

Discussion in 'AGA Related Blood Work and Doctors' started by tula, Apr 6, 2018.

1. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello.
    I have been losing my hair for 2 years now. It started from taking a supplement (recommended by Naturopath) to regulate my hormones and shorten my very long periods. The supplement helped with my period and skin. But my hair started falling out a few months after I started taking it. I did not realize that was the culprit though and was on it for a year before I did realize it. About two weeks after stopping my shedding greatly reduced, but never fully stopped. In all honesty, I probably don't shed more than a normal person would. It is more than I used to, but I would guess it is generally no more than 50-70 hairs a day. Every once in a while it will even be a little less. But, I never have regrowth. I just lose and nothing comes back. I just looked at my center part in daylight and almost burst into tears. My hair is the worst in the very front at my hairline. Second bad spot is my left temple and then my part is widening and I have all over thinning.
    I have had blood work done. Everything is "normal" but not really. My ferritin was only at 17, and after 9 months of supplementing it is only at 37. My estrogen was normal, but I don't think it is ideal. It was only at 80 a few days before ovulation. I definitely have hormone problems still, and it is almost like I have perimenopausal symptoms, but I am only 35. Night sweats, hair loss, insomnia. It is all at its worst during monthly hormone shifts.
    I had a biopsy done and it said there was subtle miniaturization but the subtly needs cliniopathologic correlation to be positive. It also said "telogen hairs are essentially within normal limits." My mom and aunts do not have hair loss. My moms hair had an all over thinning after a hysterectomy, but currently I have less hair than her and she has zero scalp showing. My dad still has his hair too. The hairs that come out are regular length and full size.
    I guess I am at a loss. Do I give in and start Rogaine? Do I wait and try like hell to raise my ferritin first? Could the ferritin and hormones be the cause or am I just unlucky and have Androgenetic Alopecia even though my moms hair is ok? This is becoming devastating and I am afraid of the wind blowing too strong and revealing my loss, I can't have even the slightest dirty hair or it weighs down and looks awful. I hate going for haircuts and won't dye my hair in case it makes it worse.
    I just can't take anymore loss.

2. Maasai

Maasai Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tula,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Your hair loss story sounds a lot like mine except my shedding started after I stopped BC. I had been on it for 20 years. I also experienced perimenopausal symptoms in early 2017 but it mostly went away. I know that my fertility is on the low end for someone my age (38 years old).

mcat11 has written a lot about hair loss and what's she's learned from her own experiences and research. I would recommend doing a search for her posts if she doesn't pop up in this thread. But there are many other stories here with people who have tried PRP, laser cap, supplementing with iron pills, anti-androgen pills etc and have found varying levels of success.

I used 5% minoxidil for 3 months, but I found it did funny things with my skin (especially around my eyes). It had worked and I had some regrowth so it made me sad to stop it.

Good luck and just know you're not alone. I just joined wig support to start researching toppers (my hair is shedding like crazy this past week) and there are a lot of really supportive women there. What was the supplement you used to regulate your hormones? Was it vitex? I used it last month and I'm wondering if maybe that's contributing to the crazy shedding I have.

Farrah711 likes this.
  3. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    It was similar to Vitex. It was a DIM supplement. I was actually on one for two years and then had to switch brands because the one I was using went out of stock everywhere. It was the new brand that did this, which is why I didn't realize it for a year!
    I think it made my estrogen go too low. Because there is really no reason starting at age 33 I should have so many menopause symptoms!!
    Thank you and I will look up mcat11 posts. I will read anything that may give insight! It is such a struggle and especially not knowing how bad it will get or if it will ever come back.

4. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't wait on the iron. Whether or not to start the minoxidil is trickier because it sounds like you may have some unresolved hormone issues. I kinda lean towards saying use the minoxidil because worst case scenario is that you never needed it but you just keep taking it anyway.