Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Losing all lengths of hair

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by nat123, Jul 19, 2015.

1. nat123

nat123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been suffering with my hair since 2010 thanks to stopping the pill and post partum hair loss - although it seems to be getting better very slowly (except the patch along my hairline) and I still have lots of new hair growth. What baffles me and I know this has been asked many times, I still lose all lengths of hair growth and i still don't know why this is - is this normal or is this coz I am most probably suffering with Androgenetic Alopecia. Your opinions or expert knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

2. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I also suffer from hair loss since 2010. I used to lose all lenghts of hair also, but since 6 months I start losing almost only long (unhealthy) hairs. Not sure what changed it. I am on iron supplements.

3. nat123

Dislikes Received:
    Lucky you :)
    I have just found out I'm pregnant so hopefully all the short hairs will stop falling out - until I go through the dreaded post partum shed

4. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations!!

Heard that pregnancy gives great hair...

5. Kelly7

Kelly7 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations. :)

I also started losing hair in 2010. I lose varying lengths and diameters of hair. When I asked my derm about the types of hair I shed, he just said they're all TE hairs (even one that I thought was a hockey anagen hair).

6. verylonelygirl

Dislikes Received:
    Regarding this I have a question n I 'll be very happy if someone can answer it or at least help in explaining. I loose hairs that are thick n others that are barely visible. They are not extremely thin but much thinner than the thicker ones. They are long n not tapered. Does this mean they are minituarised hairs?

7. Kelly7

Dislikes Received:
    Verylonelygirl, I showed my dermatologist very thin hairs and I was told they are TE hairs. Maybe since he thinks I have CTE, that the different types of hair I grow/shed are all TE. I call them very vellus. I lose a lot of the kind you are asking about too. Many are tapered. They might be intermediate hairs. I am not sure if miniaturized hairs are very visible.

8. nat123

Dislikes Received:
    Many thanks.
    Mine are similar in thickness and have a bulb - my CTE shedding stopped a long time a go????

9. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I lose all lengths and diameters of hairs, mostly hairs with tapered ends. I've been diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia. Maybe tapered hairs that are terminal could be attributed to TE, but in my opinion, intermediate and vellus hairs are due to Androgenetic Alopecia, since the hair is short cycling due to DHT sensitivity, essentially choking our hairs. It would be miraculous if the thin hairs I'm losing turned into healthy, terminal hairs in their next growth cycles. This has been going on for me for almost three years now, so I'm well beyond the point of hoping for things to turn around.

10. Sakura

Sakura Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    i think it's different for everybody. i've read stories of woman that use to lose short thin uncut hairs and had CTE and woman that only lost long thick hairs and turned out to be Androgenetic Alopecia, and vice versa
    i feel like the only way to know is via biopsy!

11. nat123

Dislikes Received:
    Has your hair over the last 3 years become noticeably thinner?

- - - Updated - - -

Has your hair become noticeably thinner over the past 3 years?

12. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. My derm told me that you can't look at the hairs and say : TE or Androgenetic Alopecia. It only shows in the follicles: are they miniaturized or not. Sometimes thin hairs can have a normal follicle. Only seen via biobsy. She also says sometimes new hair needs time to 'mature' into thick anagen hair.

13. mamaherrera

mamaherrera Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Gosh this is so relevant to me, sadly to say. I'm shedding normally now since having stopped the HUGE shed I had for like four years. Throughout the big shed, my ponytail size measured the same (circumference) so it kept me sane. I had thin hairs then too. Now I'm shedding normally, and have some more of those "thin hairs" some are thinner, some grow 4-5 inches, some less, all are pigmented, but I some are almost blonde (I have dark brown hair) and I know they come from all over. My husband can find them on the back of my head as well as on top, anywhere. But now I'm terribly depressed as my ponytail circum, has dropped .25 of an inch. I guess that means all hope is over form me. Because the big shed has long gone and gosh. . I want to cry again. And with time. .. how much time can a new hair need to mature??? Over two years??

14. Sakura

Sakura Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    new hair matures in about 3 months after being born, or so. my dermatologist said so ( lol sounds funny but i don't know how to say it in english)

15. Kelly7

Dislikes Received:
    Some of my really thin newborns get thicker half-way through the strand, so I know they do thicken up. ☺

16. mamaherrera

mamaherrera Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    What I'm saying is that someone said thin hairs go through many cycles before they thicken up. My thin hairs stay thin throughout, but I have variance in the thickness, some are "almost like regular hair" and some are super thin, but they have been around for at least three years and they are increasing. Even during pregnancy, I would shed no long hairs, or maybe 5, but I would still shed these super thin hairs.

17. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely. It's about half as thick as it was before all this started--and I only had an average head of hair at best. My temples are much thinner, and my part has slightly widened. At 52, I haven't started menopause yet (perimenopause, I guess). My estrogen and progesterone levels were actually quite high for my age when I had them tested several years ago. No, it's Androgenetic Alopecia for me. The sickly hairs I lose aren't coming back anytime soon. Three years is too long for TE to turn around.

18. nat123

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that :( it's so hard isn't it!!!

19. Topcat

Topcat Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I havent been on this forum for a litle while as I am trying not to dwell on my hair loss, I also started losing hair in 2010, have lost every year but 2013 where my hair had some recover time, I lose all lengths and thicknesses mostly with a bulb but tbh I dont look at the hairs anymore it is what it is I guess.

My hair is very thin now and since I had loads of layers cut in to it it feels even thinner but gives the illusion of being thicker, I do have re growth of varying lengths and it isnt all falling out as back in April my hair line was very sparse looking but now there is definately more hairs covering it, they come in thin and thicken up but how long they stay there for is a guessing game.

I sometimes wish I had collected every single hair I could since it started think there would be more than enough to make a wig! On the plus side although I am still losing a lot it is slowing down, I dont think I will ever have the thick hair that I used to have, it used to be so thick and heavy it would give me a headache when I put it up for too long now I have to wrap a band around it several time to keep it up!

I have been taking a high dose of iron for the last few months (when I remember) as my iron level was very low, not sure if it is helping but it cant be doing any harm.