Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Low Testosterone, High Dhea-s, Aggressive Shedding

Discussion in 'AGA Related Blood Work and Doctors' started by wantlox, Feb 4, 2018.

1. wantlox

wantlox New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone!
    I'm facing a conundrum with the results of my recent bloodwork.
    My testosterone was very low (under average in fact), DHEA-s was high (371) and I have been shedding like mad for the last 5-6 weeks. Every time I yank on my ponytail, 6-10 hair long hair fall out. Its super alarming to say the least.
    I am currently on reishi mushroom and it seemed to work beautifully when I took it alongside maca for 1-2 months. However, I got off the maca for some reason and now my shed has amplified. I've tried adding it back but to no avail.
    I also tried pro -estro products (Pueraria mirifica) and products to lower T even more (inositol) but this also seemed to amplify shedding.

Also notable is that hair loss does run in my family; my mom lost her hair by 50 and now wears a topper. Her sister, brothers, and mother had the same. However, I always chocked it up to poor diet and epigenetic factors because their lifestyle didn't include fresh fruits, veggie, exercise, stress reduction. I try to be conscious of these things.

Does anyone know what could be going on? I'm heading to a doctor soon and plan on getting bloodwork on the third day of my cycle and 23rd day (for estrogen progesterone balance). I'm wondering if the low T is causing too much DHT to circulate. Maybe the maca helped because it regulated the T? Would something like zinc be good for T regulation?

I know there are a lot of questions here, any input is much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. Teresa D

Teresa D New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure but seems like you might need more hormone testing. Are you taking any B or other vitamins?

3. valentinab00

valentinab00 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Was your free testosterone low or total testosterone? Free T is the number you want to check, as well as your other hormones. As for maca, i haven’t come across any studies that it actually promotes hair growth. Anecdotally it’s indicated for hormonal balance and libido. Still, if it worked everyone would know about it and be consuming it.

Not sure how low T can yield higher DHT since DHT is derived from T through enzymatic activity, at least endogenously. Interesting theory though.