Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Lush "New" Solid Shampoo

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by katherine, Apr 14, 2008.

1. katherine

katherine Guest

Hi all,

I mentioned this product in a previous post, but I need to rave about it on its own. I've been using this solid shampoo for a few months now. http://ca.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/02009?expand=Haircare

I figured it couldn't hurt, and at least it smells great. My shed stabilized about a year and a half ago, and I've had a fair amount of regrowth, so I haven't been too obsessed with products for a very long time. My hair has been looking pretty normal for quite awhile.

However, about two weeks ago, I noticed well over 30 1/4"-1/2" long hairs on the top of my head. I usually have some short stragglers up there, but never this much regrowth at once. There are enough short hairs now that my hair consistently looks terrible, unless I spend half an hour trying to slick them down. It's like a tiny mohawk. Not that I'm complaining, as my part is filling in.

Now, I certainly can't say definitively that this product is responsible, but it's the only change I've made in my routine in almost two years. It might be worth a shot for some, as a $10 bar lasts me and my partner over a month, and my hair is so clean that I only have to wash it every other day. I recommend reading the reviews on the site, as people have had mixed results.

2. hairyape

hairyape Guest

I looked at the hair soap.

And it looks very interesting, I like the idea about the scalp stimulation and that it's also SLS free. Worth a try. I saved it to my favourites and will order it tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip!

HA

3. sadlady

sadlady Guest

Whats SLS? (just wondering, cause im looking for a shampoo that doesnt have silicon in it, and that it as free as possible from different chemicals they seem to have in all skin/hairproducts these days. I have very sensitive skin, so im always on the look for "clean and natural" products). The shampoo has to be free of silicon, since this is important when youre using Rogaine - the silicon can make some kind of buildup on your scalp, that makes it harder for minoxidil to get absorbed (at leat thats what it says in the user description i got together with the Rogaine i bought),
    /Sadlady

4. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Sodium laureth sulfate.

I believe it is the ingredient used in shampoos and soaps to make them sud. It's not good for your hair, but I don't think it's THAT bad since it's in almost all shampoo and I see tons of people with great hair.

5. eco_girl

eco_girl Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Katherine- are you using Rogaine as well- or just the bar shampoo? I had tried a Lush shampoo as a sample for dry hair and it was pretty good.

6. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I looked at it online and it seems like rubbing it up and down your head would put some unnecessary stress on your hair... what do y'all think?

Also, do any of y'all know of a good scalp clarifier? Not necessarily a shampoo... but maybe some type of solution or lotion you can pour on your scalp that will help remove excess sebum, flakes, etc??

7. cookielady

cookielady Guest

Well, Lush just opened a store where I live. I'll try it. If it is good for hormonal loss it may help me.

8. livEyourlife

livEyourlife Guest

That's interesting.
    It says it's good for hormonal hair loss on the description!
    Like cookielady, there's a store where I live. I'll check it out next time!

First time I've ever heard of a BAR OF SHAMPOO!! :whistle:

9. kiara

kiara Guest

aaahh ! liv, you are super lucky you live in NY and they have everything there !! No chance I'd find that store here. I'll look at their website and read more about it.....

10. livEyourlife

livEyourlife Guest

I know I am! I feel lucky since a ton of things are here.. Dr. Redmond, Dov and Kiki wigs, and then now this Lush store.

Maybe you can order it online Kiara? Or maybe I can send you a curling iron and one of these shampoo bars as a gift haha

I'm really curious about this now since on the reviews, it says the bar of shampoo lasts 3 months. And a few women said it got rid of dandruff, and one said her shed went down to nothing! Also, Katherine mentioned potential regrowth from it!
    I might check it out next week so I'll see if I get one!

11. kiara

kiara Guest

LOL that's so nice of you ! but you'd better save your money first for kiki or dov !
    When you've started using the soap let me know if it's good !

12. livEyourlife

livEyourlife Guest

Hey maybe I'll get some regrowth by summer with this new regimine! And I'm starting to wonder about the Dov/Kiki thing- I dunno if I want to do that yet. Unless my hair goes to hell in the next 6 months, I don't know if I need a real wig yet.

But yes, I'll check out the shampoo to see if it's any good haha

13. eco_girl

Dislikes Received:
    So...I walked by a Lush store last Tuesday and bought it....so far what I like is that I was able to go a second day without washing my hair- it makes your hair pretty squeaky clean but isn't really drying (I have dry curly hair).....did some searching on the their website and went back to the store on Friday- bought another shampoo bar (Trichomania) and conditioner bar (jungle) that seem to be forumlated for my hair type. Used them yesterday- and I like them. My hair is less frizzy (the real test will be the summer!), looks fuller, and feels softer- and again I could go another day w/o a wash. Since I tangle easily, perhaps this will help both the dryness and my pulling out lots of hair while combing. My thought trying a combo of the two shampoos tomorrow :)

14. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using my own shampoo bars for some time now, but have had to cut down my use on them because they can be damaging (not just mine.. all shampoo bars). The ph in soap is far too high for our scalps, which causes the scalp to wig out.. which is one reason your hair will have more volume while using it... when the hairs stand up (not just from high ph, but in this case also because of the cinnamon) the scalp scales rise and can be prone to more build up and breakage. My hair looks amazing when I use it.. but for me personally, after a month or so it gets too drying for me. I even thought I was growing more hair because my part seemed to fill in more, nobody could tell me I wasn't getting my hair back lol (I gave rogaine the credit though, just thought the soap gave my scalp a healthier playing field).. but once I stopped using it to give my hair a break, I felt horrible when I saw my old thin part in the mirror. Everybody's hair will react differently to soap.. I do love it, but am cautious to agree that it will actually regrow hair.. I do believe for many it will seem like it though and if your hair and scalp can hack it long term, you will definitely love what it can do. But who knows with all those oils in it.. LUSH uses melt and pour soap and adds their ingredients to it (not sure how that plays out in their labeling.. melt and pour usually has other chemicals in it that I don't see listed) the oils don't have to survive the saponification process which is beneficial if they do in fact help thinning hair. I just see glycerin on the list aside from all those oils, so if they mean glycerin soap, there are more ingredients involved that create it that they haven't listed and if they mean the liquid version, than I don't see anything there that would create a solid product. I just think they're misleading in a lot of their products, but that's not to say they aren't good products. The Sodium Coco-Sulfate they list is just another version of SLS, derived from coconuts (a drying product when used in large quantities which I assume it is in this product because it's listed first), but SLS is also not the monster it has been made out to be. Like everything else though, some people will have negative reactions to it. Anyway, the high ph isn't good for your scalp, but definitely test it out.. you may be someone who won't react negatively to it :)

15. eco_girl

Dislikes Received:
    Eek :freaked:

That doesn't make me feel so good.....guess I'll need to watch that. Hoping that not having to wash daily will balance the PH issues? I once used a Burts Bees shampoo bar that I didn't like at all.....

Thanks for the info (I think :) )

16. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    lol hey no problem

I have never washed my hair every day and after a month or so, my hair just looked damaged, so I switch it up as much as possible. I have about 6 different kinds and I buy a regular liquid shampoo minus the detergents etc. Some people swear by "shampoo" bars, it just depends on the one you use, the ingredients and your hair and scalp type. If one doesn't work, it doesn't mean they all won't work.. I just don't think they're the healthiest thing for our scalps. Especially us, know what I mean? Another thought is, although it has all those beneficial oils in it.. it's a wash off product.. so I can't see the need for this product. You'd be just as well off getting it cheaper somewhere else or using a regular liquid since you haven't escaped the sls issue anyway, if that's a problem for you. Coconut is one of the most drying ingredients, especially in detergent form, ick. But it gives the most lather so that's got to be why they use so much of it..

17. eco_girl

Dislikes Received:
    Thought coconut oil was supposed to be good for your hair- but I guess the change it a bit to be an SLS substitute.....

18. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh it's a good ingredient for sure.. in low doses. And it's a totally different ingredient than sodium coco sulfate. When added to body products they both can be very drying in higher concentrations (especially these sulfates). You'll find coconut oil used in many soaps because most consumers need lather to feel the product is working, and coconut oil or these sulfates (detergents) are the easiest way to go about it. Obviously LUSH is relying on this growing fear of sls and instead of making a superior product with hard work behind it to find a way to make it lather just as well with gentler ingredients, they just threw in another version of sls in hopes the average customer won't know what it is. Bottom line is $$$ though, it's a smart move marketing wise because they have to know the fears are untrue for the most part and either way, their product isn't dangerous.. at the most, it will be drying or irritating to some unless there is an allergy which is a gamble with any product.

19. livEyourlife

livEyourlife Guest

Tori-
    So would you say it's more beneficial than negative? Since you said it does seem to regrow hair although leaving hair kinda dry after a while.

20. kiara

kiara Guest

Tori:

1. Are you a scientist or studying science? Cause, wow, you seem to know your chemistry quite well !!

2. So are we all saying that this LUSH shampoo bar seem to regrow hair? Or at least has volumising effect on hair?

3. How is your hair progressing with your rogaine use, Tori ?