Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Lush "New" Solid Shampoo

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by katherine, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry in advance for the length of this post lol.. I tend to ramble

I'm just sharing my own experience, like I said, give it a shot and see what it does for your own hair. I'd make your decision based on whether or not you want to deal with the high ph issue, or why not talk to someone there and see if something in it balances it out? Some people will use some sort of acid rinse afterwards. As you can see by the reviews on it, many of the customers love it and obviously it hadn't damaged their hair.. at least by the time they wrote the review, but I think I saw a couple reviews based on months of using it and I do know people who use them and love them. With me personally and with my hair loss issues, I have a love/hate thing going on with them lol. Right at the moment, my hair is shedding more than it ever has since starting rograine and it's more brittle. I'm blaming too much shampoo bar use.. I get addicted to how it makes my hair look lol, but right now it's looking pretty rough, I haven't taken a break in a while. I don't know about LUSH bars because I haven't used any of their products, but any of the bars I've used aside from maybe one, have given my hair a boost, adding volume, it's softer and my part looked a tiny bit more filled in. At the back of my part is also my problem.. can't cover it to save my life but on the days I used a bar, it was more covered.. the hair is nice and plumped up I guess.. but my soap is not melt and pour and I know exactly what is in my bars so I can't vouch for LUSH's bar, but some reviews seem to be saying the same thing. You may react differently than me.. my hair and scalp isn't the same as yours. Or you could experience the same thing, who knows. I just know.. or rather I'm assuming, that new hairs sticking up that apparently weren't there before, is due to the change to shampoo bars.. they would have come with regular shampoo use anyway, but with high ph and cinnamon to boot, it's causing the newer hairs to spike up. Just my opinion though. People use those oils and leave them on and don't see results that quickly or at all.. so I can't see a wash off product doing the job.

I'm not a chemist lol, my business is body products, including soap (and no I'm not trying to sell anything lol) so by all means, look into things yourself, which we all should anyway when it comes to what we put in and on our bodies. I'm no expert, just passing some points along that I've learned over the years in hopes of getting people to make their own educated decisions. There's pros and cons to shampoo bars.. for me personally and with having hair loss, the cons should out weight the pros because obviously I'm reacting negatively to it, but I love the better coverage I seem to get with my bars. Sorry, I guess it sounded like I was making LUSH bars out to be scary, but was just pointing out how misleading they are and that they know about sls fears and are profiting off of that by offering an alternative. With another version of the same thing lol.. but even sls is not dangerous or anything to be scared of, it's just another irritant. Long story short lol.. I'm not saying it's more beneficial, I don't know what it will do for you. But my personal pro is that yes, my hair does have more volume when I use it.

As for my rogaine use, I just don't know anymore. I recently dyed my hair much darker, so the contrast is a problem for me and I can no longer compare results to my lighter colored hair because of it. It's like starting all over again which is kind of depressing. BUT, I do know my hair is thicker since starting it, just a little and mostly on my left side and I do have more of a part than I did before starting (it's intact now, with a little show through on either side), so a major plus for me. Also, 2 eyelashes that I thought I had permanently lost after having children, are now permanently back. So definitely progress, we'll see what a little more time will do for me.. if I can ever get this new shed under control! lol

2. kiara

kiara Guest

Tori,

Thanks for the reply. You explained really well. I'm glad rogaine is working for you !

:)

3. livEyourlife

livEyourlife Guest

Tori, thanks for the reply!
    I'm having trouble with the back of my part as well so maybe the Lush shampoo can help cover it a bit! i guess it differs from person to person so it'd be better to just get a bar ourselves and test it out! And maybe it won't be as bad if it's not used CONSTANTLY because of it's what is it? ph factor? and ph measures how acidic or basic things are right?
    Hmm not bad!

4. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, that's my 5 million word essay above in a nutshell LOL

5. eco_girl

eco_girl Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    So....after starting this last round of discussion.....I;m thinking this might be a once a week thing. After a few washings- my hair now feels drier (bummer)....so I don't think I can use this 3x a week. I had deep conditioned my hair the night before the first use, so I think that kept my hair a little more managable and the softness was probably from that. I saw lots of fabulous reviews on lush's website on a lot of the solid shampoos....and I was loving the idea of flying with solid shampoos since they;d be easy to put in carry ons :)

6. livEyourlife

livEyourlife Guest

I finally bought it yesterday!

I can't believe how TINY it is... I thought it was going to be the size of a regular bar of soap since the thing is $10 something with tax!
    lol and I think it smells like really disgusting wax if you smell the soap itself, it's only after you use it that your hair smells like cinnamon.

It made my hair reallllly shiney and smooth on the top, but then the bottom was really frizzy like I stuck it in an electric socket.

7. kiara

kiara Guest

Okay, so in comparison with Herbal Essences Volumising shampoo, which one do you think is better?

8. livEyourlife

livEyourlife Guest

I remember using the Herbal Essence Volumizing CONDITIONER more than the shampoo- this was before I quit using conditioners. It really volumized hair.

I just used the Lush twice. The first time, it was atrocious lol. It went from smooth then frizzy ends on the bottom. I used it again yesterday, and it's a lot better this time. It doesn't really volumize like the Herbal Essences, but then it works okay with my hair. For once, there's no frizz everywhere and looks kinda put together. It goes from straight to slight waves on the bottom. It takes a bit of practice since the bar of shampoo didn't really lather right the first time. And the smell isn't as nice as the people who reviewed it makes it out to be lol

I guess it's what you want from a shampoo.. a lot of hair in appearance, or put together hair that's clean looking.

9. kiara

kiara Guest

hmm... defo a lot of hair in appearance!!

10. livEyourlife

livEyourlife Guest

Yeah, it's back to Nioxin for me.

I can't stand how the Lush shampoo smells! =(
    Props to eco_girl and Tori for tolerating it.

11. eco_girl

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't tolerate it for long......and took some of it back (I bought two different types of shampoos and one conditioner bar)...........

12. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've actually never tried it lol, and I never will. I was just debating it's claims ;) I don't use bars anymore, my hair just can't take it.

13. livEyourlife

livEyourlife Guest

WHAT Tori!!? hahaha! I thought you tried it since you wrote a LARGE paragraph a few pages ago about it! :hairy:

eco_girl- Did you get the tin too for the shampoo? I had three different salesladies come up to me telling me that if I buy 2 of the shampoo bars, I get a free tin to hold them in. :roll: Tried to sucker me into getting a conditioner too, but I don't use conditioner. And she asked me, WHY. It's not like I was going to say I had Androgenetic Alopecia, so I said that I usually find conditioner too oily lol.
    Yeah, it didn't really smell like the scent it's supposed to. It smelled like BAD cinnamon gum that melted in the sun, and then solidified again or something.
    It's good you were able to return them. I would hate being stuck with nasty smelling $10 shampoo bars!

14. eco_girl

Dislikes Received:
    Live- after furst using New, I was pretty happy- and went onto Lush's website to see what else they have. They had a bar and conditioner for dry curly hair- which is what I have. However, I think they were even worse! I thought if this is for dry hair, I can only imagine what the other products do :crazy:

I didn't get the tin, since they were separate purchases. I couldn't find the receipt for New but I had it for the other products (which I now can't remember what they are) so was able to return them. Lush is only about 2-3 miles from my house.

Tori- liked your science explanation- the first time I heard anyone use saponification in years :) (I'm a techie geek)

15. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just a master debater LOL.. nah, I just hate watching all these companies hop on the "take advantage of the growing hair loss issue" bus.. there are so many companies out there profiting from our disease. Soap is their business, so they know what they're asking us to put in our hair.. or at least they should.. and bar soaps freak our scalps out. A freaked out scalp isn't a happy scalp ready to produce more hair.. it just makes the existing hair stand up and try to run away, which gives the illusion of volume I guess lol.

16. Bron

Bron Guest

I seem to be in a severe minority here, but I LOVE this stuff. I'm not saying my hair has miraculously returned, but my remaining hair feels great after using it. I've even been recommending the shampoo bars to friends! :)

17. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Not really minority.. I know lots of people who use shampoo bars.. it's just not the healthiest thing for our hair. I loved it while I could use it.. wish I still could, but it eventually killed my hair. Not everyone reacts the same way.

18. hairyape

hairyape Guest

When I was in London this past weekend, I saw a Lush store and bought the shampoo bar.

I hear on this forum how most ladies are finding it to dry their hair too much after a while.

But because I like it so much, I am using Kitkat's poppyseed conditioner from Body shop afterwards every other shampoo. I think it makes my hair appear more full.

I like the fresh smell also.

I supposed I will have to order more on line after it runs out.

They gave me a free tin to keep the shampoo in just for buying 2 bars.

Did not get the cinnamon. I bought the blue and yellow instead.

19. angieangie

angieangie Guest

But isn't cinnamon the one for challenged scalps? That's what it said on the site...

I got a 30$ gift certificate for Lush so I'm gonna get some tomorrow and start using it with my Body Shop Poppy Seed Mask... unless it doesn't work, then I'm sticking with my Phytorhum.

20. hairyape

hairyape Guest

You're right , Angie,

But I happened upon the store and couldn't think of it at the time :turned: