Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Making sense of bloodwork...

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by alohakels, Mar 14, 2016.

1. alohakels

alohakels Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Some of this blood work is a little old, but i'm going on the assumption that this is likely still accurate. There are some things that jump out at me... DHEAS, homocysteine....but i'm wondering if anyone else can help me make sense of any of this? My endo wants me to go get Cortisol testing, which I will soon, but any insight or thoughts would be helpful for my next appointment.

- - - Updated - - -

HOMOCYSTEINE 12.7. Ref Range <10.4 umol/L

GLUCOSE 87. range 65-99

HEMOGLOBIN A1c 4.9. Range <5.7

VITAMIN D, 25 OH, TOTAL 26

TSH 1.46

T4, FREE 1.1 Ref Range: 0.8-1.8

T3, FREE 3.0 Ref range: 2.3-4.2

TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL 29. Ref range 9-45

IRON, TOTAL 58 Ref range: 40-190

IRON BINDING CAPACITY 329 Range: 250-450 mcg/dL

% SATURATION 18 Range: 11-50
    Ferritin- 71

Positive: EBV VIRAL CAPSID AG (VCA) AB
    (IGG) 1.54 POSITIVE RANGE >1.04

Positive: EBV NUCLEAR AG (EBNA) AB
    (IGG)1.32

DHEA SULFATE 485 Range: 18-391

PROGESTERONE 0.8

ESTRADIOL 40

MANGANESE RBC 27

Zinc: 9.7

2. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Did they tell you that you tested positive for mono? I think that's what those two positive tests are saying.

3. alohakels

Dislikes Received:

she said i may have had it sometime in the past

4. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mono and CMV aggravated my hair loss-- but your DHEAS looks to be the big issue. Have you been asked about PCOS?

5. hopeon

hopeon Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am sorry if I sound stupid but what is dhea n dmv can please someone tell me?

6. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, DHEA-S is the big red flag. It's an adrenal androgen and often related to Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. My understanding is that there are two forms of it, and the adult onset one is much less disruptive to overall health. That's about all I know, sorry :/

7. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I actually know quite a bit about congenital adrenal hyperplasia. My daughter happens to be a genetic carrier of one of the gene mutations of it (doesn't mean much- we just have to monitor a few things & since she's just a carrier she shouldn't have children with another carrier). Certain hormones are elevated if you actually have the disorder, if you had the classical type, you would know at birth. Ifyou had the late onset version it can develop at any point in life & often mimicks pcos. There are certain adrenal markers that would be elevated, but the true factor is that adrenal/cortisol response is affected. This can only be determined by extensive testing- more than just blood work. Also, genetic testing is usually required to give an accurate diagnosis. The genetic tests will show if any recessive genes are present for cah.
    It's definitely worth investigating, but it's pretty rare & it is also a genetic condition. Also, I've lesrned that most endos don't know much about it, but there are a few experts across the U.S. & several resources if it turns out that you do have late onset cah. Most likely, treatment is the same as what they would do for pcos.
    Sorry to jump in LBV- this is one of the few things I do know about haha!

8. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have congenital adrenal hyperplasia (the late onset/nonclassical/etc -- there's a lot of names for it -- form). I too have had high DHEA-S. Although I haven't been able to determine if it is related to my hair loss, since I've been on 50mg of Spironolactone since I was 15, and, due to suspicion that the two are related, have recently been increased to 200mg daily. There are other things that can cause the elevated DHEA-S though. If you have any more questions about CAH I'm happy to answer them. The late onset form is generally not scary (and trust me if you DO have CAH you just have the late onset form). There's a definitive test that can be done to formally diagnose it. (That might be what your endo is talking about with respect to "cortisol testing").

9. alohakels

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for your insight!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I went to a gyno who said there was just "no way" I could have PCOS and have regular periods and normal weight. I do have suspicions this could be it. Hmm. I'll need to see my endo again asap.

10. rwchdr

rwchdr Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,
    Have you had your androstenedione levels checked? I also have late onset CAH and my androstenedione level was twice the upper limit of the range... DHEA-S high too. I'm on a very low dose of dexamethasone at the moment (0.25 mg every two days) which helped a little but my hormone levels are still very high. Shedding has decreased after correcting my ferritin levels last year and after my tonsillectomy in December, but I still lose more hair than I used to and a lot of them are short & thin :(
    I don't really know what to do anymore, I can only hope my endocrinologist will allow me to increase my dexamethasone dose. I also have regular periods and am fairly thin.
    Hope you can find some answers soon!
    Best wishes

11. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    May I ask about being on the dexamethasone? Have you had any side effects?