Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Making the transition to a topper - HOW? Advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by leia1993, May 24, 2010.

1. leia1993

leia1993 Guest

Hi all --

Well, after 16 years of hair loss, it's clear I need to start thinking about the transition to supplemental hair. I've gotten very thin on the sides and in the bangs and basically over the entire crown of my head in the past couple of months. I actually started using a clip-on bang a few months ago which I love, but I'm starting to need more coverage toward the top-back area of my head. I've still got a lot of hair at the bottom which could be blended with a topper.

So where do I start? I just have no idea. I also don't have a relationship with any hair stylist at the moment since it's been so long since I had a cut or color. Tips on a starting point would be awesome. What about consulting Flora? Either way I'm going to have to find a person to cut these things in, right? Do I ask a regular hair stylist to do that for me, or should I find someone who has experience in hair replacement? FYI, I had extensions done for my wedding 3 years ago (sad to think I still had a lot of hair not even 3 years ago), and I know that this salon specializes in hair replacement although I don't know if they help with toppers etc. Should I ask them to help perhaps? I live in Sacramento, CA, and am not really seeing anything when I do an internet search...

Any leads are soooooo appreciated! I am eager to start looking better. I know I have enough hair to continue to get by with a clip-on option for the time being, so I'd like to start there, first.

Love you ladies. Thanks so much.

-Leia :lost:

2. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I flew to NYC to see Dov so I am not much help. Hopefully someone in Ca will respond.

3. aed1127

aed1127 Guest

Definitely go with Flora. David at 77 Maiden Lane in San Francisco has cut Kikis and Floras (I've had him cut several pieces and I've sent him people). He's expensive and not overly daring but he understands the process. You need to have it on when it's cut but you can order something with Flora over the phone / email and she won't stop until it's right.

4. Mom2Cuties

Mom2Cuties Member

Dislikes Received:
    YEA for making this decision!! I just recently made the decision myself after 12 years of hair loss and went to Flora. I am so happy that I did! Flora was AWESOME to work with.
    Unfortunately, I have no advice but do offer support! Good luck!

5. leia1993

leia1993 Guest

Thanks so much for the tip about David at Maiden Lane -- I'm actually familiar with the salon because they did my hair for my wedding 3 years ago when I had hair extensions!

Awesome tip, thank you SO MUCH!!!

-Leia