Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

massive! hair shed again. scary

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by fleur1979, Nov 5, 2016.

1. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    After almost 6 years of hair loss, diagnosed with CTE by biopsies, I was learning to live with it. Hair is 50% lost, but kept the same after 3 years of hair loss (continues hair fall and regrowth). It looks and feels so much thinner than my hair before the CTE began, but with a regular short hair cut I learned to live with it a bit. I am taking iron also. Started with ferritin of 8, got it up to 80 (took me more than a year). Then 5 months ago, I cut my iron dosage in half because ferritin seemed high enough.

Then 2 months ago: my started shedding like CRAZY. 500 hairs a day is no joke!! I need to wash my hair daily due to my eczema, and my body, feet and drain are full of hairs in the shower. Combing it above the sink results in the whole sink covered in hair. This has been going on for 2 months now. Not getting any better, some days even worse. Because my hair is already half of what it was 6 years ago, I am afraid I will go bald soon this way. I keep telling myself: This is all bad hair that needs to make place for healthy hair, the hair I had 6 years ago, but that is ofcourse wishful thinking.

I went to the doctor and dermatologist last week. Both took blood. Waiting for the results to come in next week. Maybe my iron dropped quickly again?

Sorry, just needed to rent a little bit. It is so scary seeing so much hair fall out when already so much is lost.
    My coat is Always full of hair. I check other peoples coats to see how much hair is on it... getting a bit obsessive again.... :(

2. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry you are shedding again Fleur that must be so triggering and upsetting for you. It will be interesting to see what your ferritin comes back as. I'm basically recovered from my TE due to low ferritin and I've recently been slacking a little bit on my iron supplements now and then but I notice it in my energy and stamina when I do it hasn't impacted my hair again. I do have seasonal upticks in shedding and those are very hard to deal with, I've never had anything as high as you have that must be so upsetting. I wish I could say something to help.

3. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    thanks hairtothere,

Blood results showed no changes in iron. Ferritin still around 80! Iron (low-medium). So, if I keep taking 2 pills a day I am keeping my ferritin stable. Not taking anything means I drop to 8 again after a while. I have a good ferritin now for more than 6 months. So, I guess iron is not the cause for my current TE. My derm thinks it is my scalp eczema causing it. Coriticosteroids and anti-dandruff shampoos make my eczema worse. Dermatologist recommends doing an allergy-test for ingredients in most shampoos, corticosteroids etc.

I just hope this current horrible TE slows down soon, or I will be back to wearing scarfs.