Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Me in a Dov Topper **PICS**

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by claire10623, Jun 16, 2010.

1. claire10623

claire10623 Guest

Ok, I've been lurking on the boards for, yikes, a couple of years now. I've introduced myself and responded to a couple of posts, but I've never posted a photo, but since I've just reached out to Flora, I'm starting to get serious about this topper business...

About a year ago, I went for a consult with Dov and tried on this topper. It was a close enough match for my hair color, but the texture was coarse and felt like far too much hair (even in my best days, my hair was always fine and silky and laid flat). I mentioned this to Dov, and he basically told me I was crazy (not in so many words), but definitely made it seem like this was a great option and that no one would be able to tell. I suppose with bangs covering the hairline, it wouldn't look bad to someone who had never met me before, but it didn't look or feel like "me" to me. So, I thanked him and left.

Since the consensus here is that Flora's toppers and falls are silky and shiny, and lie flat, I've decided to go that route, or at least look into it. All of the toppers I've seen here (dragonfly, Kaylee, kitkat, hairscared...among many others) have given me the hunch that this is the way for me to go.

Just wanted to share this pic for no reason other than, as lurker, I love looking at all pics,and didn't want to sit on this one.

posting.php?mode=post&f=22#[attachment=0:200xe3ll]me_dov.JPG[/attachment:200xe3ll]

Attached Files:

2. Sarah2010

Sarah2010 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Claire
    Thanks for posting your photo. I know what you mean about not feeling like you when you have the topper plonked onto your head. For me, it's taking time to get used to wearing a topper - i'm not sure when i'll be fully 'there', but i'm perservering at the moment.
    Given that your picture is without the topper cut to fit you, then i think you're off to a good start. The colour looks natural and if they thinned it out for you, you might feel it sits more naturally with your own hair.
    If wearing a topper means a slight change of style for you, don't worry too much as people do just think that you've had a different hair cut.
    Sarah

3. Martha716

Martha716 Guest

Well, i think it is gorgeous. The only question for me on that piece would be is the quality worth whatever Dov is asking for it. If it is poor quality hair then it won't last. If it is excellent hair -- even if slightly more coarse than you wish -- it will last and be great!

I have a HH piece from Gali that has hair that is naturally more coarse than my own, though Eurpean. My own hair is very fine, very soft, almost like a child's hair. This is probably from hair loss and Androgenetic Alopecia miniaturization, but it feels nice as long as you don't expect it to DO anything, like remain on my head.

So anyway, my Gali piece is worth the money. It may outlive me.

4. Mom2Cuties

Mom2Cuties Member

Dislikes Received:
    It looks great and the color seemed like a good match.
    After meeting with Flora, I believe that she will do all she can to meet your needs! Good luck!

Like you, I love to see the pics! :woot:

5. so-lost

so-lost Guest

Welcome to the board, or welcome to participating!!
    Well, no, I don't know you, but I think it looks completely natural having just been plopped on your head! I understand if you don't, though. You're right, I don't think strangers would think a thing about it. In fact, if I hadn't read your post first, I would have thought that was fairly thin & flat. But you know your hair so YOU have to decide what works. In talking with Flora, I would include this picture and let her know what you find wrong with this piece.

6. claire10623

claire10623 Guest

Hey- yeah I should have clarified. This hair is excellent quality, just too much of a departure from what mine is. I think it'd be a kick-ass topper for someone, just not me.

7. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    The hair quality in my Dov pieces has been great- very fine- and they are certainly not too thick. I still have a fair amount of hair so wouldn't want to plunk on something that was too much hair. I would love to get a custom made one but so far there has been one in stock that works. Anyway- that doesn't look like too much hair- it may have been that it wasn't cut in and was hanging everywhere. It does feel like that at first.

8. Beliza

Beliza Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    To feel "you" is the most important of wearing a wig. You'll be paying a lot of money and it better be to reverse any worry about your looks. I can tell from experience that a piece that evokes this "you" feeling will make you happy to wear the piece. It's very worthwile to pursue that feeling. A well-matching piece will make you indifferent about being found out. You will feel confident that you look like "the best you", and that's all what matters.

A good wig maker will give you some space to check your feelings about a piece. It's also worthwile to look for that wig maker. :)

9. francesca

francesca Member

Dislikes Received:
    A piece of advice here. I've seen Dov's toppers and I've seen Flora's. Dov's toppers tend to have much less hair than Flora's. So show Flora the picture and make sure she realizes that you think that's too much hair. Even if you do this, I would be surprised if Flora were to make you a topper with less hair than you have in the picture. Also something to think about (take it for what it's worth, which might not be much). Dov can be abrasive, Flora is a sweetheart. Are you sure that your dissatisfaction with Dov's topper is the way it looks rather than the way you feel about your interaction with him?

10. phurrballe

phurrballe Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Flora and while it is beautiful, it actually is too perfect for my hair so maybe Dov would be able to match my hair. I have/had very coarse hair and my problem has been that wigs and toppers do not match well.

Ms Understood, I know you always try to help but I think perhaps commenting so negatively on Dov without having seen him yourself might be unfair to the new people seeking options. One person could interpret him as gruff while another would not. I work in NYC and my next hair purchase will not be made till I make an appt with Dov, regardless of what a few people have reported. I think there are many women here on HA that are very happy with their Dov pieces and his customer service. Please do not take offense to my response to your post - I mean none - Just trying to be fair to all hair vendors and all the women posting here. We all love Flora, me included, but I believe everyone should make judgements based on their own actual experiences.

11. Eztli

Eztli Guest

Your picture looks lovely, to me at least, but its how you feel in your hair.

I'm sure you could get a topper that was thin enough for you. Personally, I am all about the thickness of Flora's pieces. I can't imagine letting anyone thin mine. I want as much as possible, but it's definitely not an opinion shared by all on this board.
    To me this feels natural, when I had hair, I had too much and I would always get it thinned. The illusion fall I have seems to feel right, the right weight, the right thickness etc.

I'm sure that with some finesse, you will find a topper you feel right in, as well as one that looks good on you.