Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Men don't know how good they have it

Discussion in 'Girl Talk!' started by sunlit, Apr 7, 2015.

1. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Why is it that some insurance companies will cover the cost of wigs for hair loss due to chemotherapy but not other causes? I don't mean to sound cold, but wigs don't increase survival rates and are not medically necessary. The hair will grow back once the chemo is stopped in most cases. Our hair is NEVER coming back, and for some of us, wigs are a huge expense. Yes, cancer is worse than losing hair, but suffering from permanent hair loss doesn't exempt us from ever getting cancer or any other disease, for that matter, so there's no tradeoff. I'll never be able to afford top-of-the-line hair.

2. KarenJay

KarenJay New Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's a strange question to ask. Better or worse isn't the question.... it's just, different things we both have to deal with, I think. Women are socially accepted to draw on fake brows and stick on fake lashes and wear wigs. That's a cost, but it's an option. Men can wear a cap and just deal with the blank brows. It's just different for both of us.

I recently saw a picture on Instagram of a young guy who has Alopecia, and he was holding up his phone showing a pic of himself with a full head of curly, thick, locks, and he said it was hard, because his hair was a big part of his identity. It hurts for everyone. I felt for him.

*few mins later* found it:

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/post/124766843406/alopecia-is-a-weird-disease-to-wrap-your-head

3. Georgina

Georgina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have to disagree. Any type of hairloss for either gender is mentally torturous. I spend a lot more time amongst the male hairloss community than I do amongst the female (generally they are far more experimental with their treatments which I am also), and I will say that many many of the men I speak to are suicidal or borderline suicidal over their hairloss. Many of them also have the misconception that it must be easier for a female with hairloss because we can just wear wigs. Neither side of the fence is pretty or fun.