Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Miniturization amongst loads of thick hair???

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by mangoo, Jun 4, 2017.

1. mangoo

mangoo New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys

I went to see a derm about my hair loss (receding hair line and major loss at temples, sort of like triangle pattern loss at the front like you see with male hair loss, I have no loss at my parting), I've seen many derms in my time and none could really offer me any reassurance as to what it is; I've tried topical creams, steroid injections, supplementing. The only thing I have not tried is rogaine.
    Anyways I saw this lovely derm and he looked at my hair in the troubled areas and told me I have little miniaturised hairs amongst loads of really thick hair (my hair is thick everywhere else). I was just wondering if people could tell me what this means in terms of what I may have? He told me to start rogaine and just try it out for a year although I'm scared too....

I can try and upload pics if it would help??
    Any responses would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

2. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your hair loss pattern sounds a lot like mine - I also have these mean triangles above my ears. Male pattern hair loss. My doctor said it is Androgenetic Alopecia. I am taking hormones, Rogaine, Zink which deffenitely reduced my hairloss, but triangles are still bad. No idea if Rogain really helps me to hold what is still there, but there are many members on this site which had great results with it.

3. mangoo

mangoo New Member

Dislikes Received:
    What sort of hormones are you taking? I am taking birth control pills and taking the LOWEST androgen pill and I have been on it for over 6 years now! So I am unsure if hormones are the issues, unless your body can suddenly react to this? What is Zink? I have brought some Rogaine, but I am afraid to start it in case it does not work and just sheds more hair! How long have you been on Rogaine for now? Thanks for your reply :)

4. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Zink is one of the very important supplements for hairgrowth, just like Iron. As for hormones - Diane 35 and every day Finasterid 5mg. Used to take Avodart-Dutasteride, but it is way to expensive for me now and insurance doesnt cover it. As for hair loss - it returned very strongly. May be because I stopped Rogain. May be just stress which is out of control. May be side effect of my sleeping pills.

5. alexia35

alexia35 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Exactlyyyy the same hair loss!!!! Photos?

6. valentinab00

valentinab00 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t understand this — low T and lowish DHT If DHT is the cause of hair miniaturization. I understand that serum levels don’t provide the best assessment of scalp DHT, but when the number is so low, how is that small amount causing so much damage?

7. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    From what I understand some people are just more sensitive to dht. Even normal amounts are too much for some