Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Minoxidil 5% journey

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by jenine90, Aug 2, 2015.

1. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oddly enough, I haven't lost the progress I gained with Rogaine through this shed. I see A LOT of regrowth and it might be hard to believe but there are times when I part my hair to put Rogaine in and I am like, my part looks thicker than ever before, but the shedding still bothers me. I am afraid that I will lose the progress if the shed continues too long. I do have to say that I found out my ferritin levels are 24 a month ago and have been supplementing with iron pills since then, so that could have something to do with my shed lasting this long or being a little more intense.

2. roro

roro Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Sarvnaz - sounds like good news if you haven't lost the progress, but I can understand the shedding bothering you. Once you have hair loss, any periods of excessive shedding can be hard to deal with. I'm going through a particularly bad shed currently, i.e. losing more than 100 hairs on wash days, probably lower on others, hair balls all around the house. ugh. Hope you don't mind me asking, but is there hair loss in your family?

3. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, we have hairloss in our family. My dad has the MPB although he is not totally bald. The women on my dad side all had great head of hair till they died. My mom had thick hair when she was younger, but as she got older (she is 71 now), her hair got thinner and thinner. she is not bald right now and can do without helper hair if she styles her hair right. One of my aunt's on my mom side has a mild FPHL which got worst with age, but she doesn't seem to care about it. With the right hair style and color, she has been able to hide it, but you could see her scalp in some lightings. I talked to my aunt about her hairloss and she said she started losing her hair in her late teens, but it seemed to have stabilized when she was in her 50's (she is 69 now). My grandma on my mom side always had fine thin hair. When she died at 90, she still had a thin layer or hair covering her head and she never wore helper hair. I know this is a long answer to your question, but yes I do have hairloss in my family, but it doesnt seem to be severe. It is mild/moderate and slow progressing. having said that, I always had fine hair on the thin side, so I cant afford to lose much before it becomes apparent. That is one reason, I started to panic when I see increase in hairloss.

4. roro

roro Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sarvnaz, there is hairless in my family too. My dad is mostly bald, and my mum has thinning hair, although that has only manifested itself in the last few years and she is in her late 60s. She is noticeably thin on top in certain lights, but looks fine in others. I've only really noticed my hair loss in the last couple of years (I'm 42 now) but it really seems to have progressed in that time and overall I probably have about half the hair i used to have. Up until then I always had thick long black hair, which actually drove me mad because it was hard to manage - unfortunately, you never really appreciate what you have at the time. Anyway, all this leads to me think it's more likely to be Androgenetic Alopecia/FPHL vs. low ferritin, which I've been treating for 6 months with no real progress. Hence, finally going to go on minoxidil - have the prescription and just need to go and buy it now. Still scared to start though!

5. jenine90

jenine90 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there, I haven't posted new picture in a while, so here you go IMG_20161001_132840.jpg
    Finishing my 15th month on Rogaine. I still continue to regrow hair, shedding is low (under 100 on wash day, which is every second or third day, very little shedding in between). Still recovering from a self-inflicted haircut which left my ends looking thinner then they could be. My scalp is calm, very minimal flaking. Not enough coverage for my taste yet.

6. missblue

missblue New Member

Dislikes Received:

Thank you for sharing Jenine :) This gave me much hope! I finally decided to get Regaine as I see no major improvement by just waiting for things to get better...Since I gone off the pill I slowly lost more than half of my hair. I used to have nice thick fringe but I had to grow it back because it would look ridiculous now. About 8 years ago, while still on the pill, I noticed thinning on the scalp above and behind my ear area. I wonder if anyone else has it? So first I lost hair on the left and right of my head and then since going off the pill gradually top and sides. Side note: I have mild PCOS.

So today is my first day with Regaine. Wish me luck:sobbing:

Here are my depressing photos gals..:ermm: Hair_Stage-Zero_.jpg
    I will be back with an update. Wish me luck!

7. jenine90

Dislikes Received:
    missblue, I attribute my hairloss to a combination of contraceptive pills and longterm stress. I'm convinced that my hair started to fall out when I started the pill and stopped regrowing some time after that. I never had big hairloss, my hair would just fall out and never regrow. That happend for several years, now it's slowly getting better. I thought I had Androgenetic Alopecia, now I think it was CTE.
    I will be getting blood tests soon, I'm very interested what they show.

- - - Updated - - -

missblue, I attribute my hairloss to a combination of contraceptive pills and longterm stress. I'm convinced that my hair started to fall out when I started the pill and stopped regrowing some time after that. I never had big hairloss, my hair would just fall out and never regrow. That happend for several years, now it's slowly getting better. I thought I had Androgenetic Alopecia, now I think it was CTE.
    I will be getting blood tests soon, I'm very interested what they show.

Your hair kinda look like mine did when I started Rogaine, hope you have simmilar experience to me with it :)

8. katsc

katsc New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, Jenine! I was looking at your post and decided to register here because your results were pretty amazing! Congratulations!
    I've been dealing with hair loss lately so I started applying Minoxidil 5% about 2 weeks ago. My hair has been shedding like crazy since then! I'm seriously thinking about stopping the treatment, but I'll hang in there -- my doctor told me it's completely normal and also suggested me to apply Flutamide and Progesterone on the scalp, together with the Minoxidil, and take some hair supplemets. So, hopefully, this shed will stop. :ermm:

Anyway, I've been reading a lot of Minoxidil horror stories over the Internet and one that go me really worried was that the product gives dark circles and bags under eyes and makes the skin lose collagen. People talking about this actually linked some studies showing the evidences -- which made me panicked even more. Google is awesome but can be such a disgrace sometimes. :thumbdown2: Well, I don't know if anyone already asked this here (I couldn't read all the pages, I'm sorry), but have you experienced any of these side effects?

Thank you!!

9. Fros

Fros Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey so I am really new to this and was wondering if you can help me a bit. Is men's rogaine better ?

i thought it was just rogaine 5% but I keep seeing that mens' rogaine is better and I am wondering why and is it safe for women to use

Also if in the end it turns out that hair fell because of stress or bad nutritional habits etc (and not alopecia) can you stop using it or will all the hair fall out ?

Lastly can you use it at nighttime after washing hair or does it have to be morning ??

Thank you and sorry if all these have been answers before !

10. jenine90

Dislikes Received:
    Hi katsc,
    I haven't had any side effects beside increased hairgrowth on my body, but it's barely noticable. Most obvious are hairs on my fingers, but I pluck those suckers out :)
    5% minoxidil applied topically is not likely to cause serious side effects, it used to be used to treat hypertension succesfully in much higher doses. Some people might be more sensitive to it, but don't let that discourage you, many people use it with no problems for years and years :)

- - - Updated - - -

Fros, mens Rogaine is the same thing as 5% womens but much cheaper.
    I would think that if hairloss was caused by nutritional deficits and those were corrected, discontinuing Rogaine use might result in some shedding but hair would eventually balance itself out.
    I don't believe the time when you apply matters, as long as it's daily and on clean scalp. HTH :)

11. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am almost 3 months into treatment (5%, once per day). I'm still experiencing somewhat high shedding, and am not yet seeing regrowth.

Jenine, sarvnaz, anyone else on minoxidil: when did you start to see new growth? Do you remember how many weeks or months in it was?

12. jenine90

Dislikes Received:
    My whole process is documented here, including pictures.

13. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I'm sorry. I see Jenine that you were seeing regrowth as early as 9 weeks. I am not sure I've got any yet, so perhaps I'm not going to end up with as much succsss. But I think some people see results later, more like 5-6 months in. I'm hoping for that.

Your hair looks great. If I saw you in person, I wouldn't notice any hair loss.

14. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Also started 5% minoxidil for women about 1.5 mths ago....was using every other day and now everyday.....i dont think i see any regrowth yet either and no side effects either. keeping fingers crossed for new growth with no side effects.

15. bobbikate

bobbikate New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ongoing hair loss

Hi everyone

I am a 39 years old and over the last 2 and 1/2 years I have been losing my hair. At first it was not very noticeable (although I noticed) but in the last year it has become so thin I have now lost over two thirds of my hair. I consulted a dermatologist a year ago and she confirmed that I had Androgenetic Alopecia and prescribed Sprionolactone. She also stated that my ill controlled Type one Diabtetes and an Iron deficiency may have also contributed to my hair loss (as a result I have been taking iron tablets and attemtping better control over my diabetes).

The sprionolactone has not helped at all, I continued to lose my hair while taking it and have only recently stopped. About two months ago ( or slightly over) I made the decision to try Minoxidil. I am using a product named 'Regro' a 5% Minoxidil hair growth topical spray (similar to Rogaine). Now I am scared. My hair is much worse, it has thinned even further and I now have large bald patches on the front of my scalp (I already had balding at my temples and hairline). After doing some reading I know that it is normal to experience some shedding when taking minoxidil, but mine seems extreme.

Have other peolpe experience this also? Or am I have having some sort of negative reaction to the Minoxidil. I take the minoxidil twice daily as directed, but it is not always at the same time of day and I do have a habit of using more than 7 sprays (more like 8 or 9) Does anyone know if this is ok or am I doing something detrimental to myself by using it this way.

I have tried to contact my dermatologist to answer these questions but she has not responded and I do not know who else to ask. I have never posted on a forum before and I would appreciate any advice or help. I really don't know where else to turn, I have tried taliking to my family but they don't really understand.

Please help, I have a history of depression and I honestly feel awful. I cry all the time, I know that it just hair but I don't have alot going on in my life and it seems my hair loss is all I think about. I can barely stand to look in a mirror (even though I was never a beauty queen) and just feel lonely and lost.

Thanks
    Bobbi

16. Butterfly1975

Butterfly1975 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    STARTED Rogaine too

Hello. I know how devastating it is to loose your hair. I lost almost half of mine too. I think it all started after having my first baby at 26. I am 41 now and the front of my hair is so thin you can see my scalp. As for your question about Rogaine stick with it. I am losing a lot of miniature hairs and I think that is a good sign. I read somewhere that the weak hairs falls out making room for strong hair. Just like loosing baby teeth for permanent strong ones. I have been using Rogaine for 3 weeks now. Also Nizoral 2% 3 or 4 times a week. I read it really helps in hair loss and it has for me. I know I am not much of a help cause I just started treatment. I also take beta sitosterol which blocks DHT. I know that is definitely my problem because I shed many miniaturized hairs. Let me know if I can help.

17. bobbikate

bobbikate New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi and Thank you

Hi Butterfly1975, you helped just by responding to my post. It helps to know that I am not alone sometimes it feels like I'm the only one, and I feel completely abnormal. (I know that plenty of people suffer from hair loss and it sucks, it's just my messed up mind that makes me feel that way) Very sorry about the tardy reply I haven't been checking in much lately, bit sad. How are you and how are you finding the rogaine? I also use Nizoral, and I take a over the counter generic DHT blocker. I have just been prescribed Cypoterone Acetate but have not starting using it as it has to be taken during menstruation. I continue to lose hair daily and have been taking minoxidil for 3 months now, I have seen no new growth. I am unable to hide my bald spots as they cover my whole frontal region of my head, the rest of my hair is so thin you can see through mine too. Could you let me know if you continue to shed while using rogaine and how much you shed (if you are comfortable doing so) I do not know if my reaction to minoxidil is normal or extreme and detrimental to my hair. My scalp also itches almost constantly, do you have this reaction? Thank you again for sharing your experience/situation and for your kindness, I wish you luck and hope that the rogaine helps you. Have a lovely lovely day.

18. Butterfly1975

Butterfly1975 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Rogaine Side Effects

Hi! No problem. I really am happy to have found someone going through the same thing. As far as side effects I was having chest pains but I believe that was due to stress. I have had symptoms such as difficulty breathing and chest pain related to anxiety. I am almost 4 weeks on Rogaine and not a lot of shedding. No regrowth yet since I think it is still too early. No itching also. I think I am using more than instructed though but I cannot help it and just anxious for new hair to cover my shiny scalp! I am really hoping to see some improvement around 8/9 weeks. Nizoral seems to dry my hair but I use conditioner after leaving it in for 5 to 10 minutes before washing. Basically I am in a waiting game now for some improvement. How much Rogaine do you use? Half a cap full? I use like one capful because half will not cover anything. Anyway I hope you see new hairs soon. I will keep you updated and please feel free to msg me anytime. I know how depressing it is losing hair and it seems everywhere I go I look at people's scalp/hair. Even on tv! I see how thick their hair is and get so sad. Don't hesitate to msg me and I will try to get back to you as soon as I can. Have a great day!

19. bobbikate

bobbikate New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Please feel free to msg me too

:)Hi again, I'm really happy to find someone to talk to too, it definitely helps. I'm sorry to hear that you were having chest pains (that must be scary) and I'm glad they have stopped. Please look after yourself, try not stress out I know that that is easy to say and its sometimes difficult to cope but it will get better (I hope for both of us, I really hope it gets better for you). I suffer from anxiety also and depression too :(. I have not experienced any chest pains when using the minoxidil but I have gained a little weight. But this is probably more related to eating more junkfood when sad and exercising less. I do not like to go out and am very self conscious (basically always wear a hat). Glad to hear that you are not shedding! I seem to see a new bald spot every day and what hair I have has no volume and is very close to my scalp. I am presently using a 5% minoxidil topical spray called 'regro' but am thinking of switching to Rogaine, as it seems people have better results and I have heard that the foam can help lessen irritation to the scalp (although my scalp is not as itchy as it was). I defintely use to much... 7 sprays are prescribed and I generally use 8-12 (or more.) I do this as 7 sprays does not cover all areas and I, like you am anxious for my hair to grow back everywhere :(. I am trying to stop this and use the amount instructed as I read that using more minoxidil than necessary can cause you to lose more hair and this hair loss my be permanent (not trying scare you as I am unsure if this is true, but I have had alot of hair loss in areas that were not that thin/bald before starting treatment. I am unsure if the overuse is the cause, it could of been the way I was applying it I tended to overdo the massaging fase) Still hoping/praying/begging for improvement. I am only shampooing my hair with Nizoral at the moment and not using a conditioner as I have naturally curly/fine hair and conditioner can weigh it down (Believe or not but I did indeed use to have masses of fine curly hair, hard to believe now). I haven't found that the Nizoral dries out my hair but I only use it once or twice a week (and just rinse on the other days.) I CONSTANTLY look at other peoples hair both in life and on TV and it really gets me down. It doesn't seem fair. I must look in the mirror 12 times a day checking for regrowth and wishing it were me with normal/thick hair. Thanks for reaching out and caring, please feel free to msg me too whenever you need support or just a friend :). I will try to check in more frequently and will keep you updated too. Take care :)

P.S Sorry, don't know why the sad emoji is by my title...I didn't intend for it to be there (what the frig!)

#119 bobbikate, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  20. Butterfly1975

Butterfly1975 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi how are you? Hope you are doing well. Thanks for your replies. It really helps to have someone to talk to who can relate. Not much has been going on. I have been using Rogaine for a month now. I did notice the thinning areas have gotten thinner. Hopefully that means new hairs are coming in. I still think I am applying too much because after an hour of applying the foam I feel different. Like I have no energy and a faint feeling. Guess I am willing to risk all this for hair again. But I am not going to give up yet. I know how depressing it is too. Even though I am very busy (a stay at home mom of five )I keep checking out my thinning hair. If you don't mind me asking more about you... Do you work? What do you like to do in your free time? Any hobbies? My hobby is playing with my sweet baby girl...!! I have an almost 2 year old that always puts a smile on my face. My day is full between cooking, cleaning, laundry....etc. Barely have time for myself. Love shopping even though my husband picks out the cutest clothes for me when he travels especially to Europe. Would love to hear from you soon and I truly hope you are doing better!! Try to Think positive and I hope soon you will get results you are looking for. Take good care of yourself.