Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Minoxidil 5% journey

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by jenine90, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Fros

Fros Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to butt in :) but I know what you mean !! I know there's a lot of people suffering from hair loss and there's even some people I know in real life but sometimes I feel like I am the only one and that I am a freak and think "why me?? Why do I have to go through this?".

i know it's not rational but eiemtimes in can't help it.

I also wanted to talk to you about some things. Nizoral. I get some dry dandruff during winter time so for the last couple of years I have been using Nizoral. But both my chemist and doctor told me that nizoral weakens the hair and that now that I have been diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia (semi diagnosed) I should stop using it immediately. Was it recommended to you ? I have seen some posts here from people who use it and I am just wondering if my chemist and doctor are wrong .... I am a bit confused.

Also about the DHT blockers. Are they working ? What brand do you use ? I just read about this today on some hair loss institutes website and wanted to talk to someone who has used it and I saw your post !

Whay exactly is Cypoterone Acetate?

I have read that when strarted to use rogaine has a lot of sheddding at the beginning and then they start seeing results. I hope that you will soon see some as well.

Sorry for my long message full of questions

2. lmunoz10

lmunoz10 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Whoah, thanks for such an awesome thread!

I've just read through all of your posts and this is the first one that I've encountered that I feel I relate to 100% and that seems to give me a lot of hope. I'm also 25, and my hair loss really just suddenly crept up on me. I started Rogaine less than a week ago and I'm ready to put up a good fight!...

I'm considering documenting my journey just as you have done.

Again, thanks for posting your experience because it has helped me a lot.

Sincerely,

Liz

3. jenine90

jenine90 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Imunoz10, I'm happy I provided some help :)

Another update, my hair went to 'presentable' stage in what seems like a couple of weeks, after slow progress in last year and a half it happened very quickly. My hair is nice, very little scalp showing, slightly wider part, I now look like a person with thin hair, not a person with hairloss :D
    I apply Rogaine the same way, almost every day, take iron and some other supplements. I will buy supplement specifically for hair to give it some extra push :)

- - - Updated - - -

_20161129_102245.JPG A picture to show the progress :)

Hairmess likes this.
  4. lmunoz10

lmunoz10 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Whoah!!! Your hair truly does look fantastic!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much, you rock :).

5. Justiinaa

Justiinaa Member

Dislikes Received:
    This is amazing! And you use 1x a day, right? I started using 1x a day a couple of months ago, so I hope I have the progress you do! I am in the beginning stages of hairloss, though, so I dont know that the change will be as noticeable with me if it does work, haha, but this has pushed me to keep going.

I see you also just take supplements in addition to the rogaine -- also good to know! I have decided to stop spironolactone and just use rogaine going forward

6. jenine90

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you :)

- - - Updated - - -

Once a day, yes :) It's best to start early IMO, my hairloss was pretty bad when I decided to go with Rogaine. It's great to see results but I would have started sooner had I known it would work so well :)

7. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jenine,
    Do you feel the Rogaine has kept working for you throughout the 1.5 year or do you think the results are tapering off? Also, do you find yourself going through periodic sheds with Rogaine? How long do they usually last?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Hoping4best,
    I started seeing noticeable regrowth at about 4 months of use.

8. jenine90

Dislikes Received:
    As I said, I got a lot of regrowth in last two months or so, very noticable and I still see new short hair. So I'd say there hasn't been any change in it's effectiveness. I've had some periods of shedding, but nothing that would worry me, it's natural for hair to go through cycles and my hair only got better :)

I've been going without my topper lately, not in public but in my home in front of friends and my boyfriend and non of them noticed anything. My friends know I wear hair and they were surprised when I told them I wasn't wearing it at the moment. I'm really starting to like my hair now and I don't like to cover it with the topper. I hope I will be able to stop wearing it completely by the end of this year :)

9. Chasrogers01

Chasrogers01 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Jenine, your hair looks great! I know I haven't seen your hair in person, but I will assure you that the average person does not notice hair loss the way we do. Wear your bio hair and be confident and happy! (If you choose!)

10. Chasrogers01

Chasrogers01 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Jenine, any updates? How is your hair?

11. Geslina

Geslina New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using Rogaine 5% once a day for about 2.5 months. I usually put it on at night, before bed. Sometimes I put it on in the AM too. I use the foam, and it adds some body. The bottle also says to use 2x a day for the best results. My hair has thinned on the sides and most recently at the front, just beyond my hairline. I think I had some initial shedding when I first started with the Rogaine, but nothing dramatic. In the past few weeks, I thought I could feel a very fine stubble in my thin areas, though it's hard to see when looking in the mirror....but the other day I used a magnifying glass, and just beyond my front hairline, I definitely have some short new hairs growing coming in. Early to be too hopeful, it could just be the hair coming back that the Rogaine initially caused to shed....and also, how do I know it will last? So yeah, I'm not celebrating yet.

Another thing I noticed this week, that gives me hope, is that the Toppix hair powder I use sometimes is working differently. I first bought it about 6 months ago, but didn't like the way it looked...seemed to look fine right after I applied it, but within a few hours, it was patchy looking, and would migrate on my scalp, clumping around the roots of my hair at the edges of my thinner areas, instead of staying put where I needed it. I suppose it was sliding off the more bare areas of my scalp. I actually stopped using it a month or so ago because of this, and picked up some Great Hair Day powder to use instead....which I also don't care for. Anyway, I started using the Toppix again last week, figured I'd use it up and then look for another product to try. However - the Toppix is now staying where I put it, and I'm wondering if it's because there may be lots of new, fine hairs for it to hang onto??? Dear Lord, I hope so. It's a long shot, I've read that rogaine only works for about 20% of the people who use it...but, those statistics may be based mostly on men, and I've read Rogaine works better for women, and I'll bet a lot of people give up when they see increased shedding in the beginning, or just get tired of putting it on every night. So maybe the percentages are higher than a dismal 20.

I've got nothing to lose (except more hair, haha) so I'm going to keep using it. I've had no side effects, other than I noticed a few longer than usual eyebrow hairs last week.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think using a little more than recommended is that bad, I read that at the most, it's just a waste of product. I always use more than the half cap dose of foam the directions say to use, because I still have a lot of hair in my thin areas, and it absorbs a lot of the product before I can get it on my scalp. Also, I've read that a lot of shedding is a good thing, maybe it's a sign that the Rogaine will work for you, as it's stimulating the hair follicle growth, causing the hair to fall out sooner and therefore be replaced with a new one? Not exact on the science, but I think the company says that new growth can take up to 5 or 6 months. Are you sure you don't have any? New hairs will come in very fine and thin at first.

12. jenine90

Dislikes Received:
    So here's another update. Pretty much no change, no excessive hairloss, maybe slight improvement in coverage, still not enough for me to be comfortable with. As you can see, there is visible lack of hair at the hairline. No product in my hair (except for Rogaine), freshly washed.
    IMG_20170503_110438.jpg

13. Chasrogers01

Chasrogers01 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jenine, thanks for coming back with an update. I know you feel it's not thick enough, but it looks really good compared to your starting point. Please continue to update us periodically.

14. jenine90

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Chasrogers01 :)

Forgot to mention that I added Nioxin 6 into my regimen - cleanser, conditioner and treatment. Now I try to wash my hair everyday, use Nioxin treatment after washing in the morning and Rogaine in the evening. Curious to see if Nioxin helps at all.
    This pic is taken after one week of nioxin use, I have a little bit od volumizing mousse in my hair (I use it very sparingly and only on hair shaft, not the scalp)
    18451822_2073556496204544_1439976478_o.jpg 18406196_2073556302871230_1284013567_o.jpg

15. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jenine,
    Just wondering did you see increases in shed come and go even with rogaine?
    Your hair looks very good.

16. jenine90

Dislikes Received:
    I'm experiencing another anniversary shed at the moment. It's been going on for about 3 weeks maybe? Nothing excessive, about double the amount I was loosing before. I hope my hair will improve like it did after my last anniversary shed. I'm still using Nioxin system and Rogaine, I enjoy Nioxin a lot, it smells great and it pretty much resolved my problem with itchy scalp. I will update after the shed is over :)

Jan likes this.
  17. Chasrogers01

Chasrogers01 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the update. Let us know if it improves once again.

18. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jenine! Your hair looks great!! Glad things are going well for you :)

19. roro

roro Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Jenine, great thread - it's really heartening to see all the progress you've made over the last couple of years.

My story as follows: I'm coming up to my 10 month anniversary on rogaine (5% foam applied once a day). I'm currently experiencing what I hope is just an annual shed (had one of these at the same time last year pre-starting rogaine). It doesn't seem as bad as last time, but I feel like I'm losing some of the progress I thought I'd made with rogaine in the time I've been using it. I'd definitely been noticing growth - which seemed to be confirmed by both my hairdresser and the doctor - but the front of my scalp looks thinner than it used to and I can see scalp at the front in normal light. Saying that, i now pretty much wear my hair down with a couple of clips to strategically hide the back of my crown where my part seems widest vs. when I started regaine, when I was wearing a wide hair band to cover the front of my scalp and tying my hair up at the same time. So maybe because it's summer and lighter out I'm noticing the thinness more, or maybe I've just got used to having thinner hair. I used to take photos regularly but stopped as it was making me more anxious about the whole thing; so can't really track progress that way. One other positive - my ponytail is definitely fatter. There seem to be a couple of other threads with talk of still seeing results late after starting; so I'm hoping that things might take a turn for the better after this shed tails off, but am feeling a bit down about the whole thing at the moment.

20. jenine90

Dislikes Received:
    Long time no post, I'm here with an update :) I'm experiencing another anniversary shed right now. I use Rogaine (not daily anymore) and iron supplement. My hair has gotten better, still wearing a topper, it just looks nicer :) I don't wear it at home and for sports, I'm comfortable with my natural hair for that. I will post pictures after I get my hair cut :)

Jan likes this.