Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Minoxidil + Aging

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hairlosshelp, Apr 26, 2016.

1. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been on minoxidil for 1 month and already my worst fears have been confirmed. In the past few days I've noticed my skin has changed texture, excessive dryness on my whole face even my eyelids (never had dry skin there before) and fine lines and tightening on my forehead with loose and non-supple skin on my cheeks, eyelids and bridge of my nose. Also my skin has lots of redness and burns, but no itchiness. I'm 26, so it's not natural aging and yes, I do moisturize and drink water but my skin looks worse than my 58 year old mother's.

I've been having regrowth - I notice basically a shrub of hair around my crown. I can't give up a regrowth regimen altogether because the state of my hair loss is so advanced. But I can't also look like I'm in my 50s while I'm in my 20s. There's just no winning with this. I'm back to being on the verge of giving up on life completely and I know it may sound "dramatic" but I've been miserable for all of 2015 and this was my last hope to get my life back. Where do I go from here? Is there any hope of this being a reaction to the liquid minoxidil and that I might be free of this with the foam?

2. Kate10

Kate10 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps you need to give it a few months, side effects often wear off with time. You might need to upgrade your moisturiser to a richer one. Also are you taking 200mg of Spironolactone daily ?

3. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    About lines on the forehead I can only tell that when we apply minoxidil on top of our head we DO involve our muscules more, rolling our eyes up looking on the top of the head, hence appearance of wrinkles. Dont worry too much, apply plenty of moistriser and vitamin E and Evening Primrose Oil - this one especially does miracles to your skin...

4. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    No, I'm not taking Spironolactone yet. I need to get a new doctor, but have to wait until I'm in school in September to be able to change. My current one refuses to prescribe pretty much anything for me since he doesn't want to be liable for anything that might go wrong.

I'm actually 99% sure that's what caused the lines. Ever since hair loss I've been looking up in that manner to check my scalp and noticed the appearance of those lines before minoxidil use, but I've worried about the tightening and dryness and how it might worsen them. Do you take evening primrose oil supplements? http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Valley-Evening-Primrose-Softgels/dp/B0013N7SBM

5. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that sucks. Maybe still give it more time to see if you're just having a temporary reaction or your body is getting used to the medication?

I'm probably going to have to start minoxidil soon (like you I'm at the end of my rope and it's basically a last chance) and am worried about any side effects. Keep us updated.

6. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, it really sucks. I went about a month with everything being mostly fine and then this all suddenly happened. Dryness around my ears and eyelids was a dead giveaway that it's the minoxidil as I never have dry skin there.

7. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I use supplements and take a lot of them, makes my skin really nice and soft. Also I put the oil fm supplement capsulas on my face after giving myself a good scrub before. However it is too greasy to use as a dayly moistrizer.

8. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! I really hope it works. I'm so upset about this because it was a struggle to come to terms with hair loss at my age and start a treatment of minoxidil and after all of it, I was just looking forward to a point where I might no longer have to excessively check my scalp only to end up with having something else to worry about. I woke up today with my forehead pretty much caked in dry skin, despite using a good serum and night cream last night. I'm just thinking I can't catch a damn break with this.

9. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    The rogaine dries your scalp out, perhaps it is getting on your forehead while you sleep? Use a good hydrating cleanser after you apply it and clean your forehead off I use Cera Ve cleanser and night cream. Your skin might just be going through an adjustment period.

10. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I believe you, hairlosshelp. I personally have no doubt at all that minoxidil causes skin changes in some people. There are a lot of people who report this experience. There is also a study that found that oral minoxidil compromises collagen production. The potential skin changes are the only reason I am on 2%. I smoke cigarettes, and have for most of the past 10 years, so I can't afford another lifestyle factor that causes wrinkles, lines, under eye circles/puffiness, etc.

Our faces are a more important part of our appearance than our hair, usually. So I totally get it if you are going to stop.

It's unfortunate really because the people who report aging skin are usually really good responders. I think it can be extrapolated that they absorb more minoxidil systemically.

Are you stopping completely? Have you considered using 2% instead? (2% used twice a day is as effective as 5% used once a day, so that's something to keep in mind.)

11. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    I've noticed flakiness on my scalp, but I've realized it's more of the minoxidil residue than my actual dead scalp skin because after I washed my hair, I went from practically snowing flakes when I touched my hair to nothing. But I wasn't washing as much as I should have because of my shower anxiety from shedding buckets for 1.5 years and so I think the flakes must have gotten on my pillowcase and then on my face, irritating my skin. At least I'm HOPING that's what's going on. I stopped minoxidil for 2 days and changed my bedding, but it hasn't gotten better.

Yeah, I read all of that as well :( I was hoping it was a minority of people. I had been specifically keeping an eye on my under eye circles as that's what I am prone to/have very hollow eye bone structure, but this skin dryness isn't just a slight difference I've noticed due to over-monitoring it, it's a significant departure from the usual state of my skin (oily T-zone) and happened almost overnight. The only hope I have is that the first 3.5 weeks, there were no changes and this happened pretty drastically, so I'm going to give it a little bit more time to see what happens. As soon as this happened, I started using a serum (Dior Capture Totale One Essential) and it has helped a lot, but since minoxidil use is for life, I still have about 20 years or so before I can expect to see wrinkles otherwise, so I really don't want this to ruin my face in my youth.

I'm not stopping completely yet, just because the state of my hair loss is that drastic, but I'm switching to the foam to see if there's any hope there. I'm pretty desperate since I start school in 4 months and can't go with putting fibres on my hair every single day, so I really need some decent coverage.

12. labellavita1985

Dislikes Received:
    Are you using twice a day? So, do you still think it's a minority of people who get it? I'm worried about it too, honestly. I already have bad skin due to years of acne. I'm going to have laser resurfacing/chemical peels done, just can't afford to do that probably for a couple years.

F****. I'm getting really worried about it now.Even though I'm on 2%, isn't it a legitimate concern that minoxidil will age my skin, considering I'll be on it for decades?

I have to stop now, if I'm gonna stop. Before my hair becomes dependant.

13. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    I'm only using it once a day. And I assumed it was a minority of people because I feel like if it wasn't, I'd hear a lot more about it. But then again, the average age of Rogaine users is most likely 40+, so any skin changes they experience, they might attribute to natural aging. And same here - acne has pretty much destroyed my skin already but my family on average tends to look younger than they are (my 27 year old sister still gets mistaken for 16 and my 58 year old mother gets mistaken for 40), but I can't exactly rely on genetics anymore apparently given that both parents still have their hair and I'm losing it.

Are you experiencing anything of what I listed above? I'm wondering if it's a reaction to the propylene glycol just given the onset of all of this (I was literally fine for like 3.5 weeks and then this suddenly happened). And that's known to cause irritation and dryness. Are you using a formula without it? Please let me know if you notice any skin changes without it! I have to wait until the foam is delivered, so I'm still stuck with the liquid for 2-3 weeks.

14. labellavita1985

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/fashion/30skin.html?_r=0

I am using a PG free liquid. I haven't noticed anything to be honest, but maybe I'm just not seeing it even though it's happening.

Btw, it is my understanding that most of those OTC anti aging products don't do anything. They might improve the appearance of your skin cosmetically, by hydrating, exfoliating, "filling in" wrinkles and lines. But they do not change the fundamental skin aging process (collagen depletion, reduced cell turnover.) Prescription Retin A, however, does, by drastically speeding up skin cell turnover. It also increases collagen production. Even with Retin A, though, the difference is subtle, or has been for me. Just my $0.02.

15. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the suggestion! How long have you been using it? I tolerated accutane well, so do you think I won't have any side effects from using Retin A? I've read that the best ingredients for skin are retinol, vit C and niacinamide, so I'm looking to add those.

I think if you haven't noticed any skin changes so far, you might not have to worry about it, especially since you're using a lower concentration.

16. labellavita1985

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry I'm just seeing this! I've been on Retin-a for almost a year. I started with the .025, then moved up to .05, and now I am on .1. My skin has never looked better. It can cause irritation, dryness, flakiness, and acne initially, but you just have to get through it. Now I don't have any of those symptoms. My skin burns sometimes when I'm putting on my sunscreen, but that could be due to the benzoyl peroxide I also use sonetimes. It's extremely important that you never use more than a pea sized amount, and wear sunscreen everyday when you use Retin-a. I use SPF 50 religiously, even in the depths of the Midwestern winter.

17. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi hairlosshelp- I'm really sorry to hear about your skin reaction. Just to add another datapoint, Im also 26 and I use Rogaine (foam 5% 2x a day) and haven't noticed skin signs of aging on it. Where I rub it in along my scalp line there's no difference in the skin at the top of the forehead.

I do think it causes puffy eyes for me (and when my eyes are puffy due to anything - crying for example - my eyelids crease which could be called 'wrinkles') but i consider these effects temporary for as long as I'm using Rogaine. I guess that's where the mental comfort comes in, even though realistically I'll be on it my whole life as labellevita said.

I had more sensitivity to it the first month I went on it (scalp tingling) that then disappeared entirely without changing my application, so maybe your symptoms will improve as well.

18. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Eliza,

Thanks for the response - I hope this will go away soon. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case so far. The dryness & flaking on my scalp is still an issue. Do you wash it everyday or every other day? That's kind of my last resort but because I'm still shedding a lot it's hard to face daily washes. I'm between a rock and a hard place right now because I've been on it for nearly 10 weeks (liquid for 7 and the foam for 3) and I haven't noticed any results at all. It seems like the only thing it has done is exacerbate my SD. But at the same time, this was my last option so it's not like I can just give it up and try something else. I'm doing my best to be patient, but I was just expecting a little more at the 2 month mark.