Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Minoxidil Journey

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hairlosshelp, Mar 9, 2016.

1. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just finished step 1 which was ordering minoxidil. Ordered the 5% extra strength liquid for men (kirkland brand) for a 6 month supply. Going to be transferring it into spray bottles for use once daily. It should come up to 60CAD, so for $10/month it's a pretty great price compared to the $50-75 I was expecting to pay for Women's Rogaine. I'm really crossing my fingers. This was my last resort and so far nothing has worked for the past 16 months since this shedding began. So I figured I'll start a thread that I can maybe (hopefully) update in the future!

2. Distraughtshedder

Distraughtshedder Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Hairlosshelp!

Just wanted to say be careful with the spray bottles. I used them for about 5.5 months .. Worked great... But you cant gauge how much you are using. I had np idea I was using 3 to 4 times more product than I should.

I started using the applicator it comes with about 2 weeks ago and the negative side effects are already disappearing. My face is never swollen
    .. Its amazing I didnt really realize how puffy my face had gotten. The facial hair isnt as dark and growing slower. I am hopeful it will go away compmetely soon. I also had swelling in mt ankles and feet ...which has gone down.

Remember it is a medication that was used for more than hair so be careful.

I thought using the applicator would be a pain but its not. Almost as easy as the spray bottles :)

3. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Distraughtshedder! How many "sprays" were you initially applying? The minoxidil just got delivered today and I used 2ml (a little over) on my scalp with the dropper. I'm trying to search how many sprays is equal to 1ml so I can get an idea of how much to use at once.

4. Distraughtshedder

Dislikes Received:
    I stopped with the spray bottles. I tried putting 1ml in and spraying but it's not enough to even get up through the tube. I had the little 2oz travel bottles. I was a spraying maniac lol I made 4 to 6 parts and spritzed each numerous times until "covered" (i'd guess 4 to 5 sprays down each part) didn't realize how much product I was using until I switched to the droppers ... 1 to 2 ml is such a tiny amount! Put it in ur spray bottle and see ...it barely covers the bottom.

I just pull my hair back in a pony and and run the dropper along where I would have parted my hair .. Give a little squeeze when it feels dry on the scalp ... It takes minutes and covers everything :)

5. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    I think I am overdoing it with 2 ml. How much do you use a day now?

6. Distraughtshedder

Dislikes Received:
    1 ml everyday ... A couple times a week I do 2ml in 2 separate applications (morning and night) but never one dose over 1ml.

7. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I like the foam MUCH better than the liquid which gave me white flakes on my scalp.

8. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    I cut back to 1 ml but I still feel a tingling sensation/slightly swollen feeling in my left foot and then it goes away after a while. At least now my hair doesn't get as greasy/scalp dries faster so it means I was mostly wasting product with the 2 ml use. I'm hoping this will be enough and I can see some results in 3 months.

ugh I'm sort of having a night where it's like this torturing reminder that this is for life...effort to make my hair grow when it used to be plenty. I try to remind myself that people have had to adjust to other harder stuff and at least there's some solution in here. I just hope I figure it out and it works. So far I managed to solve 1 life problem, if this works it will be 2 with like 8 more to go!

Yes I have flakes as well (but this was before the minoxidil). Can't afford the foam unfortunately. I searched everywhere for it but it's over $100 for a 2 month supply and that's just not feasible on my budget.

9. jenine90

jenine90 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I use Rogaine foam and have to order it overseas because it's not available in my country...and it's like 20USD for 2 months (60ml bottle of 5% mens Rogaine, I use it once a day so 1 can lasts about 2 months). I get it from ebay, the seller ships internationally. I don't understand how it could be over 100 bucks, even with twice a day application.:confused:

10. ChrissyB

ChrissyB Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    In Canada the Womens' Foam is over 100 but that is for a four month supply. The mens' is much cheaper. The two month supply in womens' is around 60 or 70 dollars. It is about half the cost if you buy it in the US.

11. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Hey can you please PM me what supplier you use? I had searched on amazon to find the kirkland liquid one I use at the moment. I made a mistake - just checked my receipt from last year (purchased the rogaine women's 5% once-daily) and it was around $88 after taxes for a 2 month supply. But it is still so expensive at $44/month. I'm going to be a student for the next 4 years (professional program) and graduate 100K in debt lol, so it's definitely not something I can afford.

12. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    That's crazy how expensive it is outside of the U.S. wtf?! I think I paid $20 for 3 cans of the foam.

13. hairlosshelp

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I can't afford $530/year just to regrow my hair. That's crazy expensive to me. And then if it works I'm looking at nearly 40 years of use unless they come up with something new. Just feels like ****...like a death sentence, no matter how positive I try to be, especially since my thick hair was my best physical feature.

14. Distraughtshedder

Dislikes Received: