Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

mirena iud and Alopecia Areata

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by red1529, Aug 31, 2012.

1. red1529

red1529 Guest

I was recently diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. I have a 2 inch bald spot on the back left side of my head. I discovered it about 2 weeks ago I have an appt with two dermatologists coming up but have not been in to see either one of them yet. I have seen my Primary Care Physician twice and she is certain I have Alopecia. However I have a few concerns or questions that maybe you guys can help me with. a) my "hair pull" test came back inconclusive with Alopecia. a lot of my hair loss has the root on it. b) I have the mirena iud, I have had it about 8 months and I have loved it but after discovering my bald spot and doing a little research of my own I have found a LOT of people that ay the mirena caused them to lose hair as well....and or "trigger" Alopecia. is this possible? I am having my iud removed next week just to be safe but I am not sure if I am just holding onto the fact that I may not have Alopecia that maybe its something else causing my hair loss. I also found that for a few days I had a large amount of hair loss in the shower (up to 150 hairs a day) now its back to "normal" hair loss in the shower (closer to 50-70 hairs) has any one else found any correlation between hair loss and menstrual cycles or birth control? photo.jpg

2. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I think I shed more when I am on my period! As for the Mirena I would also have it taken out. I have read alot of that and it does seem to be linked to hair loss. Good luck with your Derm appt, make sure to ask her for blood test!